Front sprocket nut - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Front sprocket nut

How in the God's good green Earth does one get this &#@&*!^ing thing off???

Am I going to have to heat this thing up or something??? This thing is welded on, I swear!!!

If I can't get this off I'm going to have to rent a trailer and get it to the shop. This is UN-FREAKIN-BELIEVABLE how much trouble I'm having with this motorcycle.

Yeah, I know I'm venting again but I have a feeling this POS isn't going to make it to summertime before it's history.

I even broke my Motion Pro Sprocket Jammer on this thing!

Any tips or tricks???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:21 PM

Steve in Sunny FLA right in your neighbo(u)rhood has an impact gun strong enough to work. I rode my bike over to loosen the nut and then I tightened it again and rode home to do the work. My wimpy homeowners impact wrench would not move it. Give Steve a call quick before he moves.
Devilsfan likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the club. We all went through this and you wont be the last - rest assured.
Devilsfan likes this.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Front Sprocket Deep Socket Nut Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
How in the God's good green Earth does one get this &#@&*!^ing thing off???

Am I going to have to heat this thing up or something??? This thing is welded on, I swear!!!

If I can't get this off I'm going to have to rent a trailer and get it to the shop. This is UN-FREAKIN-BELIEVABLE how much trouble I'm having with this motorcycle.

Yeah, I know I'm venting again but I have a feeling this POS isn't going to make it to summertime before it's history.

I even broke my Motion Pro Sprocket Jammer on this thing!

Any tips or tricks???
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...nut-trick.html
See my post 62 also.
Devilsfan likes this.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post

That's how the Sprocket Jammer works...but this damn sprocket busted it all up!

I'm going to get one of those cheap air impact wrenches at Harbor Freight and see if that works.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:31 AM

1- make sure you have enough air
2- make SURE the bike is in neutral
3- have someone handy to stand on the rear brake pedal
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
That's how the Sprocket Jammer works...but this damn sprocket busted it all up!

I'm going to get one of those cheap air impact wrenches at Harbor Freight and see if that works.
My cheap air impact wrench with 125lbs of pressure would not work. You'll need their heavy duty model. I would first try Steve.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
My cheap air impact wrench with 125lbs of pressure would not work. You'll need their heavy duty model. I would first try Steve.
Key to impact is restricting movement, what I mean by that, the blows are short travel and peak at the beginning. The comment about Sprocket jammer failing, I have never see a deep socket fail ever, the trick again is putting bike in neutral , I put a small piece of wood under the rearmost part of my rear tire, this kept tension on the sprocket. I have both electric and air impacts, the air I ran up to 125 LBs, 4 seconds and the nut was off. The electric took about 20 seconds from what I remember on the 07, when I sold the 07 I took my 16T off and put the OEM back on. Same with my 2015. Another way of explaining it, immagine a double nut on a shaft , mounted on bearings, you get buddy to hold a large wrench with a pipe on the wrench, you get the same, the force on the nut , is equal to the lesser of the forces between you two. By having a preload on the deep socket using the chain and tire only, in neutral, the peak force from the impact will break the nut loose.

One caution, you should never use heat on something like this as the shaft is hardened and the seal could get damaged, using heat will anneal the shaft. Also in reference to heat, you need a oxyacetylene torch or a oxy-propane torch , two people and you only have about 5 seconds, I say two people because by the time you set the torch down / shut it off, you have lost over 5 seconds, during this time heat is penetrating the shaft, once that is hot expansion is occurring. If you really have something that is stuck and it is extremely valuable or hard to source, use dry ice , pack it , insulate it, wait about a hour, be aware that metal becomes brittle below minus 50'C.
You now can apply heat, FYI freezing takes much longer to take place, remember you are removing energy, it takes much longer for heat to tranfer when applying to either dry ice or liquid nitrogen.

Here is the proper way using liquid nitrogen;

And here is a really risky way of doing it using heat, and almost a joke using a chain operated chain hoist, note around 2:45 they almost lose it, had to pull up as it was jamming. For those interested , that is K Wool, rated for 2300'F , I use that for soldering near flamable materials, it is used in the foundry industry.
http://www.sealproweb.com/products/b...ucts/20-k-wool

Devilsfan likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 04-09-2019 at 09:31 AM.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Here in BC I have a VG (VERY expensive!) Ingersol-Rand 1/2" impact wrench, that removes at 500 foot/pounds, and I found that I could NOT remove that nut on my '15, so I rode to the dealer's, and they removed it for a 12-pack of brewskis.

I found that it's very important to ensure that your air-tank is at MAXIMUM pressure for this job.
Devilsfan likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Kawasaki Versys = POS

That's it, I am DONE!

Yeah, I get it...there could have been all kinds of ways to remove this sprocket nut. But think about it. Should you buy a product and then be, literally, FORCED to take it to the dealer over a nut??? Now, I can see a computer system or transmission in a car...or some major engine part.

But we're talking a 27mm sprocket nut!!!

Shoulda, woulda, coulda...but I decided I shouldn't HAVE TO take it to a dealer. I bought an air impact wrench and - BAM!!! - stripped nut!!!

So I tried the square using a wrench. BAM!!! folded in on me.

I'm going to put my new chain on it, ride it down to the dealer and have them work on it. If they charge me a penny I am giving the keys and title to them and telling them to have fun with it.

Sorry people, you can call me anything you want but if an air impact wrench cannot remove a freakin' nut that SHOULD BE relatively easy to remove then Kawasaki has built a lemon.

Sure, it's a great bike when everything is brand new but I am just SOOOO disgusted in something that should be part of normal maintenance and relatively simple! I have changed MANY chains from other bikes and NEVER NEVER NEVER had an issue like this.

Kawasaki will hear from me and I ain't posting anything positive about this hunk of junk...because that's what it is since it's sitting there unable to function over a NUT!!!

I will never tell someone not to buy a Kawasaki Versys...but I will let them know that it's a Buyer Beware. I'm sure their other motorcycles are decent (I know my ancient EX500 was easy to work on!) but NEVER AGAIN will I buy another Versys. Yep, because of a nut that will make me look away from this brand. Unreal.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
That's it, I am DONE!

Yeah, I get it...there could have been all kinds of ways to remove this sprocket nut. But think about it. Should you buy a product and then be, literally, FORCED to take it to the dealer over a nut??? Now, I can see a computer system or transmission in a car...or some major engine part.

But we're talking a 27mm sprocket nut!!!

Shoulda, woulda, coulda...but I decided I shouldn't HAVE TO take it to a dealer. I bought an air impact wrench and - BAM!!! - stripped nut!!!

So I tried the square using a wrench. BAM!!! folded in on me.

I'm going to put my new chain on it, ride it down to the dealer and have them work on it. If they charge me a penny I am giving the keys and title to them and telling them to have fun with it.

Sorry people, you can call me anything you want but if an air impact wrench cannot remove a freakin' nut that SHOULD BE relatively easy to remove then Kawasaki has built a lemon.

Sure, it's a great bike when everything is brand new but I am just SOOOO disgusted in something that should be part of normal maintenance and relatively simple! I have changed MANY chains from other bikes and NEVER NEVER NEVER had an issue like this.

Kawasaki will hear from me and I ain't posting anything positive about this hunk of junk...because that's what it is since it's sitting there unable to function over a NUT!!!

I will never tell someone not to buy a Kawasaki Versys...but I will let them know that it's a Buyer Beware. I'm sure their other motorcycles are decent (I know my ancient EX500 was easy to work on!) but NEVER AGAIN will I buy another Versys. Yep, because of a nut that will make me look away from this brand. Unreal.
You seem to be having a lot of trouble for a new bike, possibly a Lemon. I do need to ask, the socket you used, was it a six point or 12 point? The square has absolutely no material in contact with the shaft, knowing this nut is difficult to remove, I question the wisdom you used.
I asked 6 or 12 point socket, my money is on a 12 point, looks like you rounded the corners. Again if you aren't mechanically inclined or have the right equipment, it has been suggested by seasoned members here to go to the dealer.
Post #10,#19,#33 of https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...front+sprocket all mention the size of socket and using a 6 point is recommended. The good news is, the nut looks OK and with a proper 27 MM impact socket at the dealer it should come off.

A regular 6 point socket, not as good as a impact but it works;
Borrowed photo from member.

Last edited by onewizard; 04-10-2019 at 06:41 PM.
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
You seem to be having a lot of trouble for a new bike, possibly a Lemon. I do need to ask, the socket you used, was it a six point or 12 point? The square has absolutely no material in contact with the shaft, knowing this nut is difficult to remove, I question the wisdom you used.
I asked 6 or 12 point socket, my money is on a 12 point, looks like you rounded the corners. Again if you aren't mechanically inclined or have the right equipment, it has been suggested by seasoned members here to go to the dealer.
Post #10,#19,#33 of https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...front+sprocket all mention the size of socket and using a 6 point is recommended. The good news is, the nut looks OK and with a proper 27 MM impact socket at the dealer it should come off.

12 point...but that's not "the point"!

Again, I'll argue until I'm blue in the face...and I'm sure there's other ways. But why??? If there is a specific part that requires specific tools, that's one thing. This is GENERAL MAINTENANCE!!! This should be a standard socket that EVERYONE owns!
Not only that, I question the 3,000 ft/lbs of torque "required" to keep this nut on. (Yes, this is angry sarcasm!) I realize they need to be tight but this is ridiculous.

This makes me wonder what other "special tools" one needs to just keep regular maintenance on this garbage motorcycle. I get it, EVERY motorcycle always seems to have some sort of quirk. But in my limited experience NOTHING was this difficult!!! A pain in the butt sometimes but I've always come through. Yet I can't stress enough...this is REGULAR MAINTENANCE!!! And to me there is ZERO excuse for this nut being on so damn tight!

Kawasaki screwed the pooch on this one, enough to lose a future customer and enough to make me dissuade any future riders wondering about the Versys. If general maintenance puts your bike out of commission for a week or longer...unacceptable! Look at the new rider that's having issues with his front end! Pathetic.

The way I feel now, unless my dealership can get me on something else where I'm not losing my shirt then I'll be stuck with this thing. And if so I am going to ride it until the newest chain falls off. This bike will get the royal treatment and I'm going to ride it like I stole it. I'm almost hoping someone runs into it and totals it (without me on it!) so I can get the insurance money. This is how disgusted I am with this thing. NEVER again!

And the real sad part...I was considering a Ninja or those Z650/900's. Not anymore! Nope. No way!!!

Who I should have listened to is my buddy that bought a Vulcan. Not even 200 miles on the thing when the entire engine had to be pulled to get to...one little bearing!!! Why? As he learned later, it was a common thing that Kawasaki never rectified - and no recalls! I'm glad their Ninja series has been so reliable because everything else is junk...in my opinion.

I do appreciate everyone's insight and help, despite the fact I didn't take all of it. At the same time I learned an expensive lesson, which is never to buy one of these again. I am really, truly happy for those that haven't had any issues. Guess it's just my turn.
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:20 PM

The tight nut on the front sprocket is pretty common on other bikes too.

I had to use a half inch impact on mine and it came right off.

Don't let it ruin your day...surf happens.
Fastoman and quexpress like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:05 PM
jpd

Garage
There is a correct tool for every job. It may not be obvious to look at it. A 12 point socket or even the 6 point in the above post is not it. Even the 6 point has a large chamfer on the end and will not grip the nut all the way.

I do a job that has a 7/8" plug that has to be removed. It gets put in with anti-seize compound, 60 inlb torque and requires a 6 point 1/2" drive breaker bar to remove. 60 inlb is just over hand tight.

Right now you are mad at the bike because you didn't follow the advice of many people that have done the job before and had the same problems. Do not use a12 pt. Socket, grind the chamfer off the 6 pt. Use an impact socket, the square end is there for the pick up sensor not to turn the nut, don't put a bar through the wheel to the swing-arm. Ect.

Kawasaki is no different than any other modern manufacturer. Yes there are a few bikes that may not be right but the majority are good. I have owned a 82 kz550 that had over 80,000 miles and have a c-10 with close to 70,000 miles. Were they trouble free? No, but some of the problems were of my own making.

This motor setup has been available for over 10 years. If it was a huge problem they would have corrected by now. It is now available in at least 3 platforms, Ninga, Versys, and Vulcan.
onewizard, Fastoman and quexpress like this.

Jeff

post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Advice Given =less hassle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
There is a correct tool for every job. It may not be obvious to look at it. A 12 point socket or even the 6 point in the above post is not it. Even the 6 point has a large chamfer on the end and will not grip the nut all the way.

I do a job that has a 7/8" plug that has to be removed. It gets put in with anti-seize compound, 60 inlb torque and requires a 6 point 1/2" drive breaker bar to remove. 60 inlb is just over hand tight.

Right now you are mad at the bike because you didn't follow the advice of many people that have done the job before and had the same problems. Do not use a12 pt. Socket, grind the chamfer off the 6 pt. Use an impact socket, the square end is there for the pick up sensor not to turn the nut, don't put a bar through the wheel to the swing-arm. Ect.

Kawasaki is no different than any other modern manufacturer. Yes there are a few bikes that may not be right but the majority are good. I have owned a 82 kz550 that had over 80,000 miles and have a c-10 with close to 70,000 miles. Were they trouble free? No, but some of the problems were of my own making.

This motor setup has been available for over 10 years. If it was a huge problem they would have corrected by now. It is now available in at least 3 platforms, Ninga, Versys, and Vulcan.
Couldn't have said it better, I also want to point out, in that link I posted, Invader mentioned using a 1 1/16 is tighter than the 27mm socket. The How To Forum was created for new members not experienced with the Versys and also to simplify work. I would have sold my 07 if not for this forum, now I own a 2015, and my post for doing the valve shim, was to aid others, since there are mistakes in the manual, and when I did my 07 , it was totally new to me, fortunately there was a post on this forum, part of that thread is now preserved in the How To Forum.

I really don't like negative postings of a product when it comes down to a lack of taking advice and lack of skill, fortunately, when I shop for anything expensive I look for reviews, when I see 50 positive and 3 negative, I look at the negative, in your case it would become obvious that either this was a lemon or lack of skill / advice, I then read all the positive reviews.
quexpress and jpd like this.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:51 PM

I think this was a case where the frustration escalated faster than reason & advice, could keep up. Been there, done that, have the t-shirt that wrapped the busted knuckles.
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I usually 'flatten' that washer WAY MORE than you did, so I wonder IF that's your problem...?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01421 copy.JPG (355.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01422 copy.JPG (365.5 KB, 4 views)
Devilsfan likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:58 PM

didn't look that closely til you brought it up...didn't help the situation.
when I do it, it's FLAT.
Devilsfan likes this.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Well, I called the dealership, sent him the picture and waiting to see what he says. The shop said they couldn't get it in until next weekend. I told them if that's the case then they can keep this thing!

Until then, I just bought a 6-sided socket and I'll see if it fits. If the nut isn't totally spent then I'll give it a go.

But I'm still standing by what I say. It's my opinion...I could be wrong...I could be right...but the bottom line, to me, is this:

If it takes an air ratchet to get ONE NUT off of a year-old motorcycle it's a bad design/poor thinking. All of my bikes in this class NEVER required this much effort and $$$. To me, that tells me that the other companies are doing something BETTER! There may be faults with the others but, so far, it's only been a lack of power/gearing and/or comfort/design of the bike. Maintenance like this was NEVER an issue on the other brands!

If there are 10 motorcycles in this class yet the Versys is the ONLY motorcycle out of the ten that need this much attention for a sprocket nut, well, it's hard for me to argue that it's worth it. A chain and sprockets are going to need replacing sooner than later. And from these posts on here where practically everyone has had a rough go of this nut then it tells me Kawasaki isn't listening! In the end I guarantee I can find a better motorcycle in the same class that's less of a headache.

You can tell me I did everything wrong, that's fine. But again...it's ONE NUT that SHOULD NOT be this difficult! A struggle??? I can get that but this has gone beyond that. Heck, I've even had shaft drives that were easier to disassemble!!!

I'm sure I'll be keeping this for another year unless something else comes along but I am taking my time to do the research down to the letter.
When I was explaining this to my Vulcan-owner friend he said everything I was thinking...he TRIED to love his Kawasaki but these little issues were enough to make him unload that thing as fast as he could.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:33 PM

<SNIP>.....Couldn't have said it better, I also want to point out, in that link I posted, Invader mentioned using a 1 1/16 is tighter than the 27mm socket. .... <SNIP>

Wait...are you saying, or implying, or informing us that somehow Kawasaki has sourced a metric nut that is less accurate than the SAE equivalent?? Is using a 1 1/16" socket a more exact fit than a 27mm socket on a 27mm nut?

#insane

Jay
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode