Front sprocket nut - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

I just love this bike! Pfffttt!!!

The latest...

Waiting on parts has been a PITA. Ordered another sprocket nut this week. Still not in. And since I bought the motorcycle to ride it and not look at it disassembled I decided to "chain up" and use the original nut.

Got that on this afternoon and let me tell you...there ain't NO WAY the factory torqued that to spec! None, nada, zip! That thing was ON THERE! Nonetheless, I was able to screw it on at 125 ft/lbs torque with no problem. Simply held onto the passenger grab bars and push down.

Chain is straight and in spec for slack.

And then...ya just can't get it all together without something going wrong. Went to put the side cowl on and - SNAP! - the damn bolt broke.

As you can see I wasn't tightening it much. I used a screwdriver socket, 6-point socket, and this is the end result. I used some vise grips to get it out. So now down to Home Depot to see if they have a bolt this size. Going to try and find a "10" as these "7's" are garbage.

Going to take it out tomorrow morning to see how it runs. Now I have it stuck in the back of my mind that, sooner than later, something's going to go wrong on this thing.

***On a brighter side, if you want to call it that, Kawasaki did call me regarding my survey I took on their website. I told her the story with this stupid sprocket nut and, although she was just a phone operator she asked if there was anything I wanted. I said other than for Kawasaki to get this sprocket nut correct I probably wasn't going to buy another Kawasaki in the future. She asked if a Kawasaki T-shirt would make me feel better. I asked if she had any Honda shirts in X-Large and if so I'd take one of those! (OK, I didn't say that...but was certainly thinking that!) So, I guess I'll be receiving a Kawasaki tee in the mail soon.

Will update tomorrow's ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:41 PM

Devilsfan. Check the manual on the sprocket torque. My 2011 spec is 92 foot lbs, not 125 foot pounds. If using a metric torque wrench then 125 newton meters.
onewizard likes this.
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
Devilsfan. Check the manual on the sprocket torque. My 2011 spec is 92 foot lbs, not 125 foot pounds. If using a metric torque wrench then 125 newton meters.

According to page 396 it states 122 ft-lb. Figured another 3 ft-lb would be OK.

post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:30 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
It's definitely 92 ft-lbs, and not 122 or 125.

It's normal that it sticks a bit the first time you crack it loose... Mine came off as it should with a padded wood stud across rear wheel in the swingarm, and a pipe extension on 1/2" drive breaker bar with 6-point 1-1/16" socket. One hand on the bar extension, and the other hand supporting the deep socket for proper leverage.
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Posting 101 / PDF / Paper Service Manual

Quote:
First I find it hard to believe this thread is still going, however some times and today happens to be the case, Kawasaki changes things. Whenever quoting, from a manual quote the section and year of the service manual , as a 2007 section 11-10 is not the same as a 2015 / 2016 section 11-10, also the page number does not exist in my paper copy. Having said that I looked up the PDF page 396, found section 11-10 went to my paper copy and guess what?? Yup =

122 foot pounds is correct

For those using the 75% value for wet torque the 122 ft LB = 162.6 FT / LB equal in dry torque

And now we know why the sprocket nut is so hard to get off

Looked up a old thread by me, dry torque and wet / lubed torque, this thread https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/t...ts-d_1693.html states that using SAE 30 oil the lubed torque should be 60% of what the dry torque is rated for, so doing the math 122 divided by 60= 2.0333 times 100 = 203.3 foot pounds dry, over time, that molybdenum disulfied oil will dry out.

Some may not follow my math here, Kawasaki stated 122 foot pounds wet torque value, therefore to convert back to dry torque. To convert you multiply by 100 over 60.As a example going from dry to lubed, a dry torque of 100 ft lbs would be 60 ft lbs. wet torque.Or to get wet torque multiply dry torque by 0.60
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...t=lubed+torque
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/t...ts-d_1693.html
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 04-25-2019 at 12:46 PM.
post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
...My 2011 spec is 92 foot lbs, not 125 foot pounds. If using a metric torque wrench then 125 newton meters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
It's definitely 92 ft-lbs, and not 122 or 125....
Yup - 92#/' is correct for the Gen 1 and 2 V650s, but 122#/' is correct for Gen 3s.

WHY? No idea...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

You call it griping...

...but I'm calling it "Free T-shirt"!

(And yes, this thread is still going! )

Although I didn't want anything out of this ordeal I think it's important to state your positives and negatives regarding products. Many times I call/email just to tell how much I enjoy their product, matter of fact, more times than not I'm giving praise!

This time I wasn't. She told me she'd send me a T-shirt so I said fine.

post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...but I'm calling it "Free T-shirt"!

(And yes, this thread is still going! )

Although I didn't want anything out of this ordeal I think it's important to state your positives and negatives regarding products. Many times I call/email just to tell how much I enjoy their product, matter of fact, more times than not I'm giving praise!

This time I wasn't. She told me she'd send me a T-shirt so I said fine.

I wonder if we all called Kawasaki and told them we had to put up with the griping, if they would send us a T shirt too
post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:04 PM

Exclamation

If 122 ft-lbs is the dry torque value, then 92 ft-lbs is the wet torque value at 25% torque reduction when using such a fine molybdenum disulphide oil solution on countershaft and sprocket nut threads!
quexpress and Devilsfan like this.

Last edited by invader; 04-24-2019 at 09:04 PM.
post #50 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
If 122 ft-lbs is the dry torque value, then 92 ft-lbs is the wet torque value at 25% torque reduction when using such a fine molybdenum disulphide oil solution on countershaft and sprocket nut threads!
Not to disagree but what I posted is directly from the 2015 Service manual , 122 Ft Lbs is equal to if you use the wet torque equal at 75% then 162.6 ft/lbs , just read the manual, they say to use the lube and torque to 122 ft/lbs, no mention of reduction. So I disagree with the 92 ft-lbs.no mention by Kawasaki to reduce it.If they said 122 ft -lbs if using no lube that would be different.
post #51 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:06 PM

It's obviously an error... 92 ft-lbs is 75% of 122 ft-lbs as a torque reduction % with molybdenum lube.

92 ft-lbs wet and 122 ft-lbs dry are the figures that correlate and actually make sense technically for this application... You can confirm this with a Kawasaki engineer in Japan when you get a chance.
post #52 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It's obviously an error... 92 ft-lbs is 75% of 122 ft-lbs as a torque reduction % with molybdenum lube.

92 ft-lbs wet and 122 ft-lbs dry are the figures that correlate and actually make sense technically for this application... You can confirm this with a Kawasaki engineer in Japan when you get a chance.
You got connections as that is a serious mistake, both paper and PDF manuals have the same data. I just downloaded a MK-2 Service manual, the section is 11-14, first glance there is much more detail given in this manual than the 2015 version. Makes you wonder how many people are following the 2015 manual]

Mk-2 manual under section 11-14, the motor or shaft I doubt have changed, the torque specs should be the same. I wonder if the person that wrote it meant to state dry torque and wet torque, but the person translating it failed to understand. 122 ft/lbs lubed is a serious mistake.

quexpress likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 04-25-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode