Now I'm hearing my own noises! - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
Normally, I adjust the chain when it's on the center stand then lower it to the side stand and measure. Often times I find the chain gets really tight when I lower the bike to the side stand so I wind up lifting and setting down until I get it within spec ON THE SIDE STAND.

Is this the correct way to measure, while on the side stand? That's the way I've always done my chained bikes. Is the Versys different?
Yes, you can easily coax the rear suspension up to fully extended while on the side stand for the final check once its adjusted at the tight spot.
Devilsfan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Normally, I adjust the chain when it's on the center stand then lower it to the side stand and measure. Often times I find the chain gets really tight when I lower the bike to the side stand so I wind up lifting and setting down until I get it within spec ON THE SIDE STAND.

Is this the correct way to measure, while on the side stand? That's the way I've always done my chained bikes. Is the Versys different?
Nothing wrong in using side stand as the rear suspension is almost relaxed or full extended during chain adjustment. Only difference when using a center stand,is that you get better working angle to adjust the chain from all angle and you can rotate to feel tight spots during adjustment. Also you can check for chain straightness /alignment with front sprocket.
Devilsfan likes this.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
On most bikes the chain slack will tighten as the suspension compresses. Have someone sit on your bike and then check the chain slack. You will be surprised how much tighter it gets.

This is why you set it at 25 to 35mm because at full compression of the suspension there is not much slack left.

A quick way to determine the health of your chain is to check for freedom of movement of each individual link. They should be fairly free and easy to move. If you find that several are very hard to move or are totally locked up, then it is time to replace the chain AND the sprockets.
Fastoman and Devilsfan like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/61...s.html?page=48

Just for reference purpose only. You make your final call on chain slack adjustment.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/61...s.html?page=48

Just for reference purpose only. You make your final call on chain slack adjustment.

That's the reference material I've been going by, at least the 25 - 35mm slack allowed.

Just thinking about how I've only got 12,000 miles on this chain. I ride moderately, not too hard. I clean and lube regularly and always adjust accordingly. I've normally gotten 15-20K miles off my chains and even the dealer mechanic always said I could go longer! I change out chains and sprockets together and never went over 20K miles on a chain whether I could have or not. My worst fear is to have a chain break on me so I error on the side of caution. But 12K miles???

Oh well, I'm heading down to get a new chain and sprocket set today. And I'll probably get a new rear tire since I'll have it off anyway. Heck, even my tires get changed way before it's time! And I think I have another 2K on my tire but I'm willing to shell out a few extra $$ for safety.
Fastoman likes this.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:49 AM

Mine made this noise and it drove me nuts. I checked a few things and found the chain was *really* slack. Chain maintenance took care of it.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Just thinking about how I've only got 12,000 miles on this chain. I ride moderately, not too hard. I clean and lube regularly and always adjust accordingly. I've normally gotten 15-20K miles off my chains and even the dealer mechanic always said I could go longer! I change out chains and sprockets together and never went over 20K miles on a chain whether I could have or not. My worst fear is to have a chain break on me so I error on the side of caution. But 12K miles???
50,000 K and I just put on my 3rd chain. Did my front sprocket as well. It was starting to buck a bit. Went for a ride yesterday, was that nice compared to the old chain. Nothing like a new chain! This chain Im gonna try teflon lube though I always carry WD40 in my pannier. I live by the ocean and I think corrosion on metal in general is upped by the salt in the air. Definitely affects my electrical connects.
Devilsfan likes this.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

YES, on the sidestand IS the right way, NEVER on a centerstand, for checking AND adjusting! Also OK to check it on a PADDOCK STAND, as that AND the sidestand have the rear suspension 'loaded' which does NOT happen on a centerstand.
See below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Nothing wrong in using side stand as the rear suspension is almost relaxed or full extended during chain adjustment. Only difference when using a center stand,is that you get better working angle to adjust the chain from all angle and you can rotate to feel tight spots during adjustment. Also you can check for chain straightness /alignment with front sprocket.
I have disagreements w/ this - also OK to check it on a PADDOCK STAND, as that AND the sidestand have the rear suspension 'loaded' which does NOT happen on a centerstand. The OWNERS MANUAL SAYS: (UNDER Drive Chain Slack Adjustment - Set the motorcycle up on its sidestand) and that is to have the weight of the Versys on the rear so your suspension is compressed, which moves the chain towards its tightest spot.

Devils fan - the reason that you have to keep repeating your slack adjustments is BECAUSE you're doing it on the centerstand w/ the rear wheel 'hanging', as opposed to being on the ground, suspension loaded.
jaaklucas and Devilsfan like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
YES, on the sidestand IS the right way, NEVER on a centerstand, for checking AND adjusting! Also OK to check it on a PADDOCK STAND, as that AND the sidestand have the rear suspension 'loaded' which does NOT happen on a centerstand.
See below....

I have disagreements w/ this - also OK to check it on a PADDOCK STAND, as that AND the sidestand have the rear suspension 'loaded' which does NOT happen on a centerstand. The OWNERS MANUAL SAYS: (UNDER Drive Chain Slack Adjustment - Set the motorcycle up on its sidestand) and that is to have the weight of the Versys on the rear so your suspension is compressed, which moves the chain towards its tightest spot.

Devils fan - the reason that you have to keep repeating your slack adjustments is BECAUSE you're doing it on the centerstand w/ the rear wheel 'hanging', as opposed to being on the ground, suspension loaded.

I didn't think you could actually adjust the chain when on it's sidestand WITHOUT a bit of a fight, what, with getting the wheel to move backwards with all that weight on it.
But, I'll do that from now on!
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Since it's a "Non-Student Day"...

I stopped by a nearby Honda dealer just to see if they had sprockets and chains...nothing.

I called my dealership for both sprockets, a chain and a new tire. They had the chain in but no sprockets that fit. As for tires, nothing I was interested in. I did get the chain from them as they always give me a good price.

So I went back over to Cycle Gear (which is across the intersection) and they didn't have sprockets that fit.

I called the local Kawasaki dealer up by me...they had nothing (and I am not a fan of that place).

I then went to another dealership...was able to get a rear sprocket and they had a tire I had on my list, so I got those.

Then went down to another dealership but they are closed on Mondays.

Headed back home, jumped on the internet and ordered an OEM front sprocket and washer from Revzilla.

I wanted to get this done today but...
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Will do and I'll post up when finished.

The chain looks to be in decent shape. No kinks or anything. And the sprockets look good as well. I was hoping to get a few more thousand miles off this stock chain but it may be time. I also have a lot of room on the chain tensioners left.

Again, I measure the slack every time I clean and lube...and sometimes just to check it! I should be between 1" and 1.25" correct? I'm pretty sure that's what the user manual states.
On the '11 Versys my chain was toast at 15,000 miles and I was lubing it every night during trips. The replacement chain was fine at 30,000 miles.
Devilsfan likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I didn't think you could actually adjust the chain when on it's sidestand WITHOUT a bit of a fight, what, with getting the wheel to move backwards with all that weight on it.
But, I'll do that from now on!
It IS a bit of a job to do, and THAT is what I have to do when away on a 'trip'.

AT HOME - my bikes are ALWAYS on a rear paddock stand (a TREX), so that's how I do it there.

Devilsfan likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode