Clunk coming from front end - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Clunk coming from front end

Hi,

My new Versys was bought about 3 weeks ago and i started hearing a noise on the front end. seems to come from the steering, dashboard or headlights. Somewhere around that area
I tried the seller's test ride bike and it doesn't make that noise.

My 1000 kms service was scheduled for 5 Pm so they dind't have the time to check this. I'm gonna schedule again for next week so they can check what it is

I have read this post and it seems to be the same situation. https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...-15-650-a.html

Any ideas?

(sorry for the english)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:44 AM

Maybe whoever started that other thread will post in this one, too. Don't know if he ever discovered what was causing the clunk in his bike.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
Maybe whoever started that other thread will post in this one, too. Don't know if he ever discovered what was causing the clunk in his bike.

I sent him a msg but he doesn't seem to have seen it. I have read about similar situations, maybe it has happened to someone else.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Email only

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajorge73 View Post
I sent him a msg but he doesn't seem to have seen it. I have read about similar situations, maybe it has happened to someone else.
He hasn't been on the forum since 2016, no PM notification, but he has a email. I sent a email to him. I will post if he responds.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
He hasn't been on the forum since 2016, no PM notification, but he has a email. I sent a email to him. I will post if he responds.
Thank you!
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:56 PM

CHECK YOUR BRAKE CALIPERS.

I bought my v650 with 136 miles on it. I incorrectly assumed it had been at least assembled somewhat correctly. While riding, it developed a clunk in the front end. I went about another mile, and applied brakes as I was going into a curve. I then lost my front brakes. Can you say pucker? The right caliper literally fell off the fork. This all happened in about 1 mile, from no clunk to no brakes.

I replaced the front brake mounting bolts with NON TTY (torque to yield) bolts. I also smeared them with ultra black silicone gasket maker ( a great trick) and there were no more issues.
Doug Just Doug likes this.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

TRZ Charkie

I got a reply from him today:
It was a bit of lash from the front brake caliper assembly. Never did find a way to fix it.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:01 PM

Garage
Could it be the suspension topping out? A clunk as the front wheel becomes unweighted going over a lip in the road etc.? Carefully watch what surface causes it to occur.
Whatever the cause, I would be jacking the front wheel off the ground and shaking Everthing I can touch on the forks. Grab the bottom of both forks while kneeling in front and shake to confirm the steering head is correct, also the brakes, the bars, the mudguard, and check that every bolt is tight.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

I've tried all that. Gonna leave it at the dealer until they solve it. It seems to be worse everyday .

Recorded a little video. Engine off and a on a bad road so that i would be sure the noise could be heard. But it doesn't need to be nearly that bad ...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...VIZUhGVGdLZUdN

Thank you all
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:54 PM

Wow, that's pretty bad. I'm also concerned that you say it's getting worse, which could mean something could eventually fall off or fail. Does the clunk go away with braking? Getting it to the dealer as you plan is a good idea.

Quote:
I've tried all that. Gonna leave it at the dealer until they solve it. It seems to be worse everyday .

Recorded a little video. Engine off and a on a bad road so that i would be sure the noise could be heard. But it doesn't need to be nearly that bad ...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...VIZUhGVGdLZUdN

Thank you all

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Sunny Fl View Post

I bought my v650 with 136 miles on it. I incorrectly assumed it had been at least assembled somewhat correctly. While riding, it developed a clunk in the front end. I went about another mile, and applied brakes as I was going into a curve. I then lost my front brakes. Can you say pucker? The right caliper literally fell off the fork. This all happened in about 1 mile, from no clunk to no brakes.

I replaced the front brake mounting bolts with NON TTY (torque to yield) bolts. I also smeared them with ultra black silicone gasket maker ( a great trick) and there were no more issues.
WHEN the Versys was new to the US, we had several 'inmates' write about having one or more bolts holding the calipers fall OFF, so I've ALWAYS checked mine when I got another V, AND I use blue Loctite!
onewizard likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:22 AM
jpd

Garage
Part of the 1000k service should have been a torque check of many of the fasteners on the bike. So.. you should have paid for a lot of what they are now looking at. The service is more than just an oil change. Check your owners manual for all the areas that they recommend checking.

Jeff

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

It doesn't go away when braking. I'm leaning towards something in the steering column. Best case scenario maybe something loose hitting the tank.

I'm not gonna ride next week cause I'm on vacations so i went to the dealer and just left it there. They have one week to work on it. I'll post when and if they identify the problem.

My first kawasaki. Spent more time talking with mechanics in three weeks cause of this bike than in 12 years with the other bikes from other Japanese brands....
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Part of the 1000k service should have been a torque check of many of the fasteners on the bike. So.. you should have paid for a lot of what they are now looking at. The service is more than just an oil change. Check your owners manual for all the areas that they recommend checking.
Jpd, they let me see the 1000k service. They went trough a big check list of inspection points including brakes and fairings. Im convinced its not something that simple.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
It doesn't go away when braking. I'm leaning towards something in the steering column. Best case scenario maybe something loose hitting the tank.

I'm not gonna ride next week cause I'm on vacations so i went to the dealer and just left it there. They have one week to work on it. I'll post when and if they identify the problem.

My first kawasaki. Spent more time talking with mechanics in three weeks cause of this bike than in 12 years with the other bikes from other Japanese brands....

That sucks that you have to go through this with a brand new motorcycle. I'm having my issues as well, albeit I admit some of it's from my ignorance of electrical systems. (And I will chalk up my tire changing dilemma on myself...but to know the only reasonable way to lift that front end is to buy a very expensive triple tree lift, hmmm...)

I guess Honda spoiled me with my last brand-new bike I bought. That Honda NEVER had any issues...NONE! And I was a member of that forum for years and very few reported anything major...or even minor for that matter.

For you to have a brand new motorcycle and can't even get a few miles on it without the front end sounding like it's going to fall off??? I'd be pretty upset too!

It can happen to any brand and any motorcycle but it seems to me, at least, that I'm hearing a lot of issues with this line - from you're problem all the way down to the 300's and their high-temp concerns. (Or maybe I "think" I'm hearing about more issues as my radar is up from my own problems!) I know the ratio of good Versys to bad is in favor of the "no issues" group but I think there's a lot more problems than there should be.

I don't know, it just puts a bad taste in one's mouth when you buy a high-dollar product and crap like this happens.

Definitely keep us posted on the diagnosis. I'm very interested in hearing what the problem is.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Sunny Fl View Post
The original bolts are Non-TTY, correct?

What's the purpose of the silicone gasket maker? Was that on the threads before assembly?
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I use blue Loctite!
Do you adjust the torque value?
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
Quote:

That sucks that you have to go through this with a brand new motorcycle. I'm having my issues as well, albeit I admit some of it's from my ignorance of electrical systems. (And I will chalk up my tire changing dilemma on myself...but to know the only reasonable way to lift that front end is to buy a very expensive triple tree lift, hmmm...)

I guess Honda spoiled me with my last brand-new bike I bought. That Honda NEVER had any issues...NONE! And I was a member of that forum for years and very few reported anything major...or even minor for that matter.

For you to have a brand new motorcycle and can't even get a few miles on it without the front end sounding like it's going to fall off??? I'd be pretty upset too!

It can happen to any brand and any motorcycle but it seems to me, at least, that I'm hearing a lot of issues with this line - from you're problem all the way down to the 300's and their high-temp concerns. (Or maybe I "think" I'm hearing about more issues as my radar is up from my own problems!) I know the ratio of good Versys to bad is in favor of the "no issues" group but I think there's a lot more problems than there should be.

I don't know, it just puts a bad taste in one's mouth when you buy a high-dollar product and crap like this happens.

Definitely keep us posted on the diagnosis. I'm very interested in hearing what the problem is.
That is exactly my frustration. I also had Hondas and thought all Japanese bikes are as reliable. Wrong!!
Have a feeling I will not end the year as a kawasaki owner.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:00 PM

On forums (if they are as good as this one) you will hear about peoples issues/problems as well as the many good experiences. I've had many brands of bikes mostly Japanese and Harleys. Personally, I've found Kawasakis to be among the very best. The dealer you bought it from should be able to trace and fix your issue, if they can't, go to another Kawasaki dealer. A bad dealer (just like a bad car dealer) will certainly leave you with a bad opinion of the bike, and you may indeed find other folks on the forum who have had bikes not prepped properly by a poor dealer. The bikes come in a crate and are supposed to go through a very long prep list, I saw the one on my bike. If you call Kawasaki about a bad dealer experience, they will follow it up.

I used to work for Apple and I would occasionally have some people complain to me about a problem they were having and I would ask them if they called the free support line. "No", they would reply; then I asked if they took it in for the free support at the store, "No" again. I would hand them a business card and tell them to call the support line and call me back if you didn't get satisfaction. I rarely got a call back in 15 years.

No product is perfect, a part of your satisfaction comes from not "if" you ever have an issue, but if your issue is taken care of by your dealer and manufacturer.

Best of luck!
quexpress likes this.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
On forums (if they are as good as this one) you will hear about peoples issues/problems as well as the many good experiences. I've had many brands of bikes mostly Japanese and Harleys. Personally, I've found Kawasakis to be among the very best. The dealer you bought it from should be able to trace and fix your issue, if they can't, go to another Kawasaki dealer. A bad dealer (just like a bad car dealer) will certainly leave you with a bad opinion of the bike, and you may indeed find other folks on the forum who have had bikes not prepped properly by a poor dealer. The bikes come in a crate and are supposed to go through a very long prep list, I saw the one on my bike. If you call Kawasaki about a bad dealer experience, they will follow it up.

I used to work for Apple and I would occasionally have some people complain to me about a problem they were having and I would ask them if they called the free support line. "No", they would reply; then I asked if they took it in for the free support at the store, "No" again. I would hand them a business card and tell them to call the support line and call me back if you didn't get satisfaction. I rarely got a call back in 15 years.

No product is perfect, a part of your satisfaction comes from not "if" you ever have an issue, but if your issue is taken care of by your dealer and manufacturer.

Best of luck!
I understand you point of view. I've had problems with brand new products...smartphones and laptops. The seller always solved the problem. No stress and no problem.

However when you re talking about a 9000 eur product with a malfunction with the potential to cause you an accident....my tolerance to errors drops drastically...
Devilsfan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode