• 3 Post By Skypilot 69
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 3 Post By 78530i
  • 5 Post By wagoneerguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Replacement Engine

Hi, new around these parts and was hoping to get some confirmation about some things before I start plunking down money to fix things. So to start I am a newish motorcycle owner and have always worked on my own vehicles usually with success!

With that being said I decided replacing the chain on the V was pretty easily within my abilities. Long story short, replaced the chain, went for a test drive and everything was good. About a week later I was leaving town and pull gently away from a stop sign and I hear a CLUNK, engine dies. Look down see oil spilling out onto my boot and the chain dragging under the engine. Had an aww dang moment. Couldn't see where the oil leak was coming from, but after getting the V home and taking cover off I see that the chain had wrapped around the front sprocket and busted an oil tube of some sort and where it mounts.

Obviously I didn't install the chain properly, but moving on from that point, I don't see this engine as being saved (open to suggestions however) for less money then just swapping the whole engine out unfortunately. So I've been trying to do my research and find out what I can swap it with, and it looks like from everything I've read the internals/block is the same across all years of the V. So if I buy a low mileage engine off of eBay/CL even if it's not from a 2013 I should be good.

And also just for confirmation, I know the V and the Ninja share much, but the ninja engine is a higher compression setup, and while it could probably be used would not be ideal?

And my last question is if I am going to be doing the work of pulling the broken engine out and replacing what else should I be looking at replacing/upgrading while I am at it? The bike only had 13k miles on it when I got it, and I have put on another 5k of pretty easy highway miles on it as it's my first ride and I am in no rush to push my limits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVIMG_20180925_180906.jpg (65.3 KB, 92 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoneerguy View Post
Hi, new around these parts and was hoping to get some confirmation about some things before I start plunking down money to fix things. So to start I am a newish motorcycle owner and have always worked on my own vehicles usually with success!

With that being said I decided replacing the chain on the V was pretty easily within my abilities. Long story short, replaced the chain, went for a test drive and everything was good. About a week later I was leaving town and pull gently away from a stop sign and I hear a CLUNK, engine dies. Look down see oil spilling out onto my boot and the chain dragging under the engine. Had an aww dang moment. Couldn't see where the oil leak was coming from, but after getting the V home and taking cover off I see that the chain had wrapped around the front sprocket and busted an oil tube of some sort and where it mounts.

Obviously I didn't install the chain properly, but moving on from that point, I don't see this engine as being saved (open to suggestions however) for less money then just swapping the whole engine out unfortunately. So I've been trying to do my research and find out what I can swap it with, and it looks like from everything I've read the internals/block is the same across all years of the V. So if I buy a low mileage engine off of eBay/CL even if it's not from a 2013 I should be good.

And also just for confirmation, I know the V and the Ninja share much, but the ninja engine is a higher compression setup, and while it could probably be used would not be ideal?

And my last question is if I am going to be doing the work of pulling the broken engine out and replacing what else should I be looking at replacing/upgrading while I am at it? The bike only had 13k miles on it when I got it, and I have put on another 5k of pretty easy highway miles on it as it's my first ride and I am in no rush to push my limits.
It is going to be drop the motor out of the frame, and major work, one guy was able to JB weld a crack, yours sound like it is beyond that.

Here is a thread that covers much of your questions. Not going to suggest asking in that thread, if you happen to do that I can move the applicable posts back here.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...broken+casting

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...19-versys.html
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:07 PM

I'm not trying to be cruel here but if your mechanical ability didn't allow you to change a chain without difficulty then I suggest you find a mechanic/shop to see if the engine can be repaired without having to change the whole engine. JMO

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the reply! I had actually read through that post before and while it's a very similar thing but I agree I think the casting is beyond JB weld. I've looked up the parts for just getting a new casting, but those are nearly as expensive as a whole new engine, and seems like it would require more work than just a complete swap. I've rebuild v8 engines before, but never something like this so I don't have a good frame of reference.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I'm not trying to be cruel here but if your mechanical ability didn't allow you to change a chain without difficulty then I suggest you find a mechanic/shop to see if the engine can be repaired without having to change the whole engine. JMO
Sorry replied before I saw your message. No offense taken, thats a fair assessment. I think it boiled down to being a bit too gung ho and assure of myself when doing the chain. I picked up a replacement chain from cycle gear that had a clip style master link assuming it was the same as running down to NAPA to pickup a part for a vehicle. Not saying I didn't install it wrong or it's not my fault, just that I learned pretty quick that I need to do a lot more research about what I am doing!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hi, new around these parts and was hoping to get some confirmation about some things before I start plunking down money to fix things. So to start I am a newish motorcycle owner and have always worked on my own vehicles usually with success!...Obviously I didn't install the chain properly, but moving on from that point, I don't see this engine as being saved (open to suggestions however) for less money then just swapping the whole engine out unfortunately. So I've been trying to do my research and find out what I can swap it with, and it looks like from everything I've read the internals/block is the same across all years of the V. So if I buy a low mileage engine off of eBay/CL even if it's not from a 2013 I should be good. ....
My suggestion is to PM this fellow (jdrocks) and ask IF he has an engine for sale.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...19-versys.html

onewizard likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:19 PM

I believe Mr. Rocks may be the king of the Versys rebuild universe.
If anyone knows what you're attempting it would be him.
He may have a closet full of insight for you, if available.
onewizard likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
After chucking a chain I am all for getting some insight before jumping in head first!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:43 PM

Red face

Quote:
I've looked up the parts for just getting a new casting, but those are nearly as expensive as a whole new engine, and seems like it would require more work than just a complete swap. I've rebuild v8 engines before, but never something like this so I don't have a good frame of reference.
IMHO a full engine swap would be much easier to do.
Good luck!
onewizard likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:12 PM

when using the clip type master link, the rounded end of the clip MUST be facing the direction the chain is moving, or the clip will come off. Many people have learned this lesson the hard way.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
when using the clip type master link, the rounded end of the clip MUST be facing the direction the chain is moving, or the clip will come off. Many people have learned this lesson the hard way.
Facing the correct direction, I've still lost the clip at least twice, probably three times on the V. Now for some reason I've put 12k miles on a clip link on my 650 beat up 21 year old KLR and it is still there. ?!?

Riveting is a general PIA bit for me is the price of admission. All a bit of drama after owning a c-10, Connie, an XS750 Yamaha, '76 Wing, and an airhead Beemer 90/6.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Ontario Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Facing the correct direction, I've still lost the clip at least twice, probably three times on the V. Now for some reason I've put 12k miles on a clip link on my 650 beat up 21 year old KLR and it is still there. ?!?

Riveting is a general PIA bit for me is the price of admission. All a bit of drama after owning a c-10, Connie, an XS750 Yamaha, '76 Wing, and an airhead Beemer 90/6.
This is a FYI only, a clip style master link on a street licensed bike will NOT pass safety, there are other methods which I have posted, EK Enuma O-Ring SLJ screw type master link ,slightly more money but equal to a rivet link and legal in Ontario, I am sure the OP wishes he could go back in time as $15 isn't that much.

https://fortnine.ca/en/ek-520-srx2-c...6=907&493=5652

jaaklucas likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 04-02-2019 at 10:16 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:58 PM

Garage
The same thing happened to me; but a shop replaced my chain. I was in Michigan when I noticed the chain was stretched. I paid a shop to replace the chain; but I did not get the highest quality chain because I was on my way home from vacation where I had spent too much money.

Anyway, I made it home to Connecticut. A week later I went out for a drive and the chain broke and did the same thing to my motor.

I found a used motor on ebay with about the same number of miles as the damaged one. I had it sent to a shop where they did the swap. I also had them replace the sprockets.

The only take-away for me was... use a good chain with rivets. Lube and adjust it often. NEVER drive the bike with any chain issues.
quexpress, SteveJ and funflyingguy like this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78530i View Post
The same thing happened to me; but a shop replaced my chain. I was in Michigan when I noticed the chain was stretched. I paid a shop to replace the chain; but I did not get the highest quality chain because I was on my way home from vacation where I had spent too much money.

Anyway, I made it home to Connecticut. A week later I went out for a drive and the chain broke and did the same thing to my motor.

I found a used motor on ebay with about the same number of miles as the damaged one. I had it sent to a shop where they did the swap. I also had them replace the sprockets.

The only take-away for me was... use a good chain with rivets. Lube and adjust it often. NEVER drive the bike with any chain issues.
Yeah that sounds pretty familiar, I was lucky enough to only be a short distance from home at least! If you don't mind my asking how much did the labor on the engine swap end up running you?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yeah that sounds pretty familiar, I was lucky enough to only be a short distance from home at least! If you don't mind my asking how much did the labor on the engine swap end up running you?
$1,540.81 with the sprockets, new tires mounted (I bought the tires elsewhere IIRC) and some nickel and dime stuff. Good Oil and filter. Maybe air filter. I'm probably forgetting some other small itemizations on that bill. It was at a Kawasaki dealer shop in New Haven CT; so I may have paid top dollar. So far with good results though. Sorry, I don't remember what the tire work portion cost me. If I find that receipt somewhere, I'll edit this post.

Last edited by 78530i; 04-03-2019 at 03:07 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, thanks to some guidance from jdrocks, looks like I am back on the road. Didn't have to swap the engine like I was originally thinking. I was able to to build up the area with JB Weld and replace the one bolt on piece that was broken. So far no oil leak, but it's only been a day of light riding to test it. Going to keep the bike close to home for a while just in case it doesn't hold up I won't be too far.

Thanks everyone for the info and helping out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode