Mk3 luggage on mk1 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pecko

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Mk3 luggage on mk1

Im trying to figure out if i can install 2015+ oem kawi cases on 2008 bike. Iím going by pics right now, not convinced i can make it work easily. Anyone tried this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:59 AM

Not sure about fitment, but I seem to remember Mk3 had a strengthened subframe which allowed it to carry panniers and a top box at the same time, while Mk1 would have been overloaded by that. Make sure you're not gonna be busting the weight limit with that luggage.

2015 Versys 650
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Fair point Big Mac. For longer distance i prefer sidecases only and have a line on mk3 set for very good price. But want to make sure stuff fits before i spend canadian pesos.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:00 AM

You would have to adapt some of the rear section plastics from a MK3 to your bike, and add a little wing to your passenger pegs to attach the rubber piece that slots into the bottom-front of the bags... its a good attachment system but not the most robust if any offroading is in your future

If you are willing to waste some cash on it maybe some second hand plastics can be had on eBay, but its gonna be a lot of work to get everything positioned just right and add structure to attach the plastics.... grafting a MK3 rear subframe onto your bike would be the easiest way (aside from just buying a MK3, they are cheap on the used market now) by the time you go through everything needed to add MK3 cases the 'very good price' wont be saving you much money anymore.

Theres good racks and hard cases for the Gen1&2 though right?

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

MK-3 Cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecko View Post
Im trying to figure out if i can install 2015+ oem kawi cases on 2008 bike. Iím going by pics right now, not convinced i can make it work easily. Anyone tried this?

Just a FYI, I have a MK-3 and would never install them on my bike even if I got them for $100 total. I researched these before I bought my 2015, I had the option of getting the 650 LT, I looked at the lower support or lack of it, also the case only opens out, I had V35 on my 07, nothing like going into the kickstand side and things falling out.
The 2015 I got the Trekker cases, which have a lower cross support to the opposite case, they open top or suitcase style. I have gone down twice in deep gravel , just scratches on these cases. I love them.
top opening, latch inside converts to suitcase style

Notice the cross brace at the lower rear

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...highlight=lock
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Im gonna go with the collective wisdom and my gut feeling and skip on these. Thanks guys!

onewizard likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecko View Post
Fair point Big Mac. For longer distance i prefer sidecases only and have a line on mk3 set for very good price. But want to make sure stuff fits before i spend canadian pesos....
I put aluminum panniers (bought in Canada for about $900) onto my '09

and like them so much that I bought TUSK panniers in the US for my '08 (for about $400US)

I ordered my '15 as an LT, but I should have bought it as a V650 ABS, then bought/ installed TUSK panniers!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:54 PM

Touchy subject the M3 OEM panniers. What can I say,3 years in and I love them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode