Will I need a fuel line extension to synchronize throttles on a Mk3? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By _Big_Mac_
  • 1 Post By _Big_Mac_

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Will I need a fuel line extension to synchronize throttles on a Mk3?

The service manual stipulates I'll need an extension tube (part no. 57001-1578) to attach the fuel tank while it's raised for throttle assembly access. Is that true, or is the stock fuel line on a 2015 Mk3 long enough to let me reach the adjustment screws and vacuum ports if I prop the tank up a bit?

I haven't found much about that specific part when googling around, which leads me to believe most mechanics do without it somehow. Does having that line make the job more comfortable or is it necessary?

2015 Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
How To Forum

I have the fuel line extension, without going into a long discussion, the vacuum sync should be done after the valve shim is completed. I show how to un clip the fuel pump power connector from the frame. The tank sits in 2 rubber mounts and the fuel line is not long enough on it's own on the 2015. Whatever you do , look at my posts, you do not want to take the fuel line off at the throttle bodies, trust me, I bought a fuel bung extension for about $8 then used the extension line. Several members with MK-1 & MK-2 have set the fuel tank to the right side on something solid. The MK-3 everything is short, fuel line, electrical etc.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...onewizard.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...gs-mk-3-a.html
quexpress likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

I optimistically assume I won't need to adjust, just verify they're even. I've had valves checked fairly recently - non-US models have a long service interval between valve checks, 42 000 kms, mine was at the shop at the specified mileage and now it's at 53 000 kms. I haven't asked, but I assume the shop also synced throttles while doing valves, so this should be precautionary

I've already seen that tutorial a while ago and remember to take a look at the valves if the synchronization ends up being off but I've missed the part where you talk about the fuel line. Do I understand correctly that once I buy the Kawasaki-branded fuel line extension, I can make my life easier by also getting a female->male adapter on one end and attaching it to the original line that's still connected to the TB? That is, actually *extend* the original fuel line instead of *replacing* it with 57001-1578. Do I have to ship that adapter from aliexpress or is it something I should be able to find at a local hardware / auto parts store?

2015 Versys 650

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

I've asked Kawasaki for the price of that tube and it's quite expensive for what it is, I gather I could make my own cheaper and better by sourcing the right connectors (one male, one female, so I end up with the easier to use extension) and some tubing.

What size should I look for? You've mentioned 5/16, but that's 7.9375mm in our metric world, and my parts distributor sells 8mm and 7.89mm connectors...

2015 Versys 650

Last edited by _Big_Mac_; 03-22-2019 at 07:52 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I had some rubber fuel line laying around to use when I did mine.

Set the tank off to the side and adjusted away with my home made Port-A-Gee balance device.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...body-synq.html

Throttle body sync was off a bit. Throttle response and idle was noticeably better after balancing them.

Good luck.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

China Fuel Extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
I optimistically assume I won't need to adjust, just verify they're even. I've had valves checked fairly recently - non-US models have a long service interval between valve checks, 42 000 kms, mine was at the shop at the specified mileage and now it's at 53 000 kms. I haven't asked, but I assume the shop also synced throttles while doing valves, so this should be precautionary

I've already seen that tutorial a while ago and remember to take a look at the valves if the synchronization ends up being off but I've missed the part where you talk about the fuel line. Do I understand correctly that once I buy the Kawasaki-branded fuel line extension, I can make my life easier by also getting a female->male adapter on one end and attaching it to the original line that's still connected to the TB? That is, actually *extend* the original fuel line instead of *replacing* it with 57001-1578. Do I have to ship that adapter from aliexpress or is it something I should be able to find at a local hardware / auto parts store?
Well talk about scary , originally I found a fuel extension line on Ebay after I ordered the Kawasaki extension, today I did a quick search, notice it says 8mm 5/16 . Also found a example of the fuel bung with measurements .

https://www.amazon.ca/Quick-release-.../dp/B00EU87V1Y

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/7-89mm-SAE-5...YAAOSwTEZcCNSO

_Big_Mac_ likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 03-22-2019 at 10:10 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Lots on Ebay

Quote:
I've asked Kawasaki for the price of that tube and it's quite expensive for what it is, I gather I could make my own cheaper and better by sourcing the right connectors (one male, one female, so I end up with the easier to use extension) and some tubing.

What size should I look for? You've mentioned 5/16, but that's 7.9375mm in our metric world, and my parts distributor sells 8mm and 7.89mm connectors...
I moved the thread, starting to have too much technical info that could be copied. The thread I have in How To now has updated info.

Here is a example and this connector is also referred as a Bundy connector, the Bundy end is 5/16 / 8mm Many listed are 5/16 bundy to 5/16 barb, I got 2 of the 5/16 8mm Bundy with the 3/8 hose barb, as the nylon fuel line is hard to work with and a lot of force is needed, the 3/8 gives me more to work with.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fitting-Fue...EAAOSwDYxbupc5
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fitting-Fue...kAAOSw4AJcXTHJ

A example of the female version of 5/16 Bundy
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Line-Q...75.c100623.m-1
_Big_Mac_ likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 03-22-2019 at 10:28 AM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
I had some rubber fuel line laying around to use when I did mine.
That's a cool idea, but luckily I have a friend who'll lend me his vacuum gauges How did you supply the engine with fuel though?

onewizard thanks a bunch for those pics and info, exactly what I was looking for!

2015 Versys 650

Last edited by _Big_Mac_; 03-22-2019 at 01:34 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
That's a cool idea, but luckily I have a friend who'll lend me his vacuum gauges

onewizard thanks a bunch for those pics and info, exactly what I was looking for!
Vacuum gauges may not be the best choice. The the light weight oil I used in my balancer provides good pressure damping where vacuum gauges do not.

The vacuum of the running motor fluctuates every time the piston moves up and down. This causes the needle on a standard vacuum gauge to rapidly move up and down and look like a blur, making accurate adjustment of the throttle bodies about impossible.

The viscous liquid in the balancer does not bounce at all like the vacuum gauges, and makes very accurate adjustment pretty easy to do.

Good luck.

Cookin Wid Gas

Last edited by hawkerjet; 03-22-2019 at 01:37 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Vacuum gauges may not be the best choice. The the light weight oil I used in my balancer provides good pressure damping where vacuum gauges do not....
My balancer (Motion Pro) has mercury in it.
hawkerjet likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Research + Reasearch=Make a Decision / Never waver

Quote:
Vacuum gauges may not be the best choice. The the light weight oil I used in my balancer provides good pressure damping where vacuum gauges do not.

The vacuum of the running motor fluctuates every time the piston moves up and down. This causes the needle on a standard vacuum gauge to rapidly move up and down and look like a blur, making accurate adjustment of the throttle bodies about impossible.

The viscous liquid in the balancer does not bounce at all like the vacuum gauges, and makes very accurate adjustment pretty easy to do.

Good luck.
First this is my personal opinion.I have spent over 35 years trouble shooting, at one time I too was a amateur, what I learned is do it right the first time and share knowledge.
When things start to go wrong and they post a homemade manometer, the first thing to my mind is to ignore helping the poster, because they saw a post like yours and figured if he can do it for cheap, why not go that route myself, and that is where the problem starts.

I beg to differ, I did my own manometer originally, pick you fluid, you need restrictors as a mistake can easily suck your fluid into the TB, I know I did it. My Son got gauges, like you said the needles were all over the map. Then Smiley on this forum showed me his gauges, these gauges are rock solid ( no fluid inside, stainless rods) . Carbtune Pro https://www.amazon.com/CARBTUNE-PRO-.../dp/B018UTHGPE Check the manual what they state should be the proper vacuum setting, get that number from your homemade U tube.
What I am saying is something like adjusting the TPS on a 2007 Versys 650, moving it slightly left from the green mark, find the best performance and leave it, next when Invader asks what the setting is yes you should have a good digital meter and the test harness. There is a thread on TPS https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...osition+sensor
Also https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...djustment.html

So a brief explanation why go into detail, you maybe as a mechanic or one that has done this a 100drd times could probably find a very simple and cheap means in any small town on a ride cross the country.Many of the members come here and to the How To forum for guidance then ask for a youtube link.
Something like myself, I could use the motorcycle battery and a signal light on my motorcycle as a continuity tester , however for a amateur I am going to recommend a voltmeter for testing electrical.And I am going to recommend CarbTune Pro also.https://www.amazon.com/CARBTUNE-PRO-.../dp/B018UTHGPE
So there are many posts for vacuum sync gauges, I have found something through Smiley
that is priced matching the excellence of the tool, there may be cheaper, but there is no fluid to worry about, and it is extremely accurate.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
First this is my personal opinion.I have spent over 35 years trouble shooting, at one time I too was a amateur, what I learned is do it right the first time and share knowledge.
When things start to go wrong and they post a homemade manometer, the first thing to my mind is to ignore helping the poster, because they saw a post like yours and figured if he can do it for cheap, why not go that route myself, and that is where the problem starts.

I beg to differ, I did my own manometer originally, pick you fluid, you need restrictors as a mistake can easily suck your fluid into the TB, I know I did it. My Son got gauges, like you said the needles were all over the map. Then Smiley on this forum showed me his gauges, these gauges are rock solid ( no fluid inside, stainless rods) . Carbtune Pro https://www.amazon.com/CARBTUNE-PRO-.../dp/B018UTHGPE Check the manual what they state should be the proper vacuum setting, get that number from your homemade U tube.
Point well taken here.

Yea I wish my tool box was full of Snap On tools but I cannot afford them so yes I have a few Harbor Freight ones and a lot of Craftsman stuff in the big red box. Would I like to have store bought throttle body sync tool? Absolutely.

Sure my home made manometer is crude but I was able to construct it with parts on hand. I was aware of the potential of sucking fluid into the throttle bodies and built it with that in mind as evidenced here: I made the vertical portion fairly long and the fluid in only up about 1/2 of the height. You mentioned restrictors, I was aware of this need and pinched the lines at the top of the device to reduce airflow movement.

It's not possible to quantify the accuracy of the two manometers on this forum without side by side testing. Since my Port-A-Gee manometer and the Motion Pro or others, work on the same principal, I would venture a guess that the outcome would be pretty similar.

I do know that my bike's throttle response and idle was noticeable better after the sync.

This conversation reminds me of an old tale: "The determined man with a rusty monkey wrench can accomplish far more than the loafer in a fully equipped machine shop." Guess I would be that guy with the rusty wrench.

Cheers.
AuroraTom likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

Last edited by hawkerjet; 03-24-2019 at 10:42 AM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Carbtune Pro

Quote:
Point well taken here.

Yea I wish my tool box was full of Snap On tools but I cannot afford them so yes I have a few Harbor Freight ones and a lot of Craftsman stuff in the big red box. Would I like to have store bought throttle body sync tool? Absolutely.

Sure my home made manometer is crude but I was able to construct it with parts on hand. I was aware of the potential of sucking fluid into the throttle bodies and built it with that in mind as evidenced here: I made the vertical portion fairly long and the fluid in only up about 1/2 of the height. You mentioned restrictors, I was aware of this need and pinched the lines at the top of the device to reduce airflow movement.

It's not possible to quantify the accuracy of the two manometers on this forum without side by side testing. Since my Port-A-Gee manometer and the Motion Pro https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...f&tab=quotesor others, work on the same principal, I would venture a guess that the outcome would be pretty similar.

I do know that my bike's throttle response and idle was noticeable better after the sync.

This conversation reminds me of an old tale: "The determined man with a rusty monkey wrench can accomplish far more than the loafer in a fully equipped machine shop." Guess I would be that guy with the rusty wrench.

Cheers.
Yes agreed on the Snap On, I have very little, back in 1971 I had a 1/2 inch drive ratchet and the gear inside failed, the Snap On rep refused to replace it, said I had a pipe on it to break it. That was the end of Snap on. I had a Craftsman 12" slot screwdriver that I broke prying out the cup of a thrust bearing, it was obvious abuse, as that the remaining part was bent back, part of the tip broke off, no problem get a new one, and that is when I started buying all Craftsman, every time the Snap On Dealer came by I showed him my shiny Craftsman tools. Unfortunatly in around 2005 the local Sears store stocked less and less of the complete tool line, service went downhill and the parts department shut down. The rest is history with Sears.

As to my Carbtune pro , initially I thought that was a very expensive purchase, considered borrowing Smiley's , however he is 100 KM from me. I am retired and after doing the TB sysnc on my 07, which I screwed up the sync by using my homemade manometer , due to the fact one side wasn't as tight as it should have been, after screwing the adjustment out on one side with no response, I realized something was wrong, plus I sucked a bit of transmission fluid into the TB. Once I got some homemade restricters in place and smaller lines, I was able to get it close. I sold the bike about 5000 KM after that.The major point that I wished to make was the Carbtune pro is like no other, no fluids and no spring tension. Using gravity and vacuum only, I haven't found anything like it. The fact that I can check my sync in less than 5 minutes after riding, makes this a advantage for me , as has been pointed out in the How To thread, if your vacuum is off, a very good chance you have a valve shim problem
. So I can do a random check, sort of a early warning system, plus this is something like having a Images for optometrist photo of veins of your eye as a base line once you turn 60, also checking eye pressure and mapping. The eye is the early warning detection of your body, since my family has a history of Glaucoma and macular degeneration, I get checked out once a year.

Doing my Vacuum sync on the 2015 I took photos of both the gauges and the rpm while syncing the bike after the valve shim, I now have a baseline to work with. Rather than pulling the bike apart to check valve shim , I spend 5 minutes and check the vacuum sync, even though I am retired, the cost of the Carbtune Pro is worth every penny when I consider checking for a problem and how much time is involved to check the valve shim. Yes I did my valve shim in the winter, why tear the bike apart if it isn't needed.

Man did I stretch that quote out !
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

While we're at the topic of using quality tools - the service manual says to not depend on the bike's tachometer but instead use some special diagnostic tachometer. Is it that important to establish precisely 1300 rpm?

I'm referring to this bit on page 39:

2015 Versys 650

Last edited by _Big_Mac_; 03-24-2019 at 12:48 PM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Check my Photos / How To Thread

Quote:
While we're at the topic of using quality tools - the service manual says to not depend on the bike's tachometer but instead use some special diagnostic tachometer. Is it that important to establish precisely 1300 rpm?

I'm referring to this bit on page 39:
The service manual states a value you should have when doing this, I found going above what appeared 1350 increased above what the manual said, doing a calculation using the manual with carbtune pro I found the value I should have was added to a edit I did today in here https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...onewizard.html

The calculated value according to service manual for 2015 650 ABS 2-16 and 2-17 for the carbtune pro calculated range is 27.4 cmHg to 29.4 cmHg more detail in the below linked post as to rpm and the calculated value.

going by the gauge about 28.2 cmHg or almost exactly in the middle of recommended value.

photo taken Feb.10, 2017 of my 2015 after valve shim
_Big_Mac_ likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 04-27-2019 at 12:35 PM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Made a fuel extension line out of a pair of 7.89mm male and female connectors and a length of 8mm fuel line. Cost about a third of what the Kawasaki part does and hopefully will allow me to leave the original line connected at the throttle bodies

Also, got a hold of a Healtech OBD interface. Lets me inspect RPMs with high precision and might come useful for other jobs int he future. Glad to see I have no outstanding errors in the ECU, though I do see 3 old faults from the Inlet Air Temperature sensor and 1 from the Inlet Air Pressure sensor. Both seem to show correct values now, so I hope it's a remnant of someone in a shop running the engine without some plugs plugged in.

As for Carbtune, I'll see if my friend's gauges do the trick (glycerin-based, he says, think they'll work?) and if they don't I'll buy one.

Still waiting for the delivery of my second bike before I dismantle the V. Don't want to be left bike-less if I end up having to wait a couple of days for some part..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55520969_583733762037372_2282654218789584896_n.jpg (22.4 KB, 7 views)
onewizard likes this.

2015 Versys 650
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Made a fuel extension line out of a pair of 7.89mm male and female connectors and a length of 8mm fuel line. Cost about a third of what the Kawasaki part does and hopefully will allow me to leave the original line connected at the throttle bodies

Also, got a hold of a Healtech OBD interface. Lets me inspect RPMs with high precision and might come useful for other jobs int he future. Glad to see I have no outstanding errors in the ECU, though I do see 3 old faults from the Inlet Air Temperature sensor and 1 from the Inlet Air Pressure sensor. Both seem to show correct values now, so I hope it's a remnant of someone in a shop running the engine without some plugs plugged in.

As for Carbtune, I'll see if my friend's gauges do the trick (glycerin-based, he says, think they'll work?) and if they don't I'll buy one.

Still waiting for the delivery of my second bike before I dismantle the V. Don't want to be left bike-less if I end up having to wait a couple of days for some part..
Any info you wish to share on the Healtech $$ etc.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Bought it at around list price, which is (luckily for me) cheaper in Europe than US:

USA $229.99
Europe and other regions 149,00 EUR

You download the software from their site, connect the cable to the connector under the seat (without using any of the provided adapters, I guess they're for different vehicles), then to the USB in the laptop. No driver installation needed, just press "Connect" in the software after you've turned the ignition and it starts showing live data. It also lets you run diagnostic routines (ignition coils, injectors, solenoids) and inspect/clear DTC errors. And it records what it sees so you'll be able to inspect your measurement history offline later on, probably nice for trying to pin down intermittent issues.

That OBD interface is brand specific, you have three to choose from - Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki. Each handles multiple (almost all?) fuel injected bikes from the given brand.

From what I've seen, the live measurements are taken once every couple of seconds, which should be enough to set RPM for the TB sync but could be too sparse for, say, capturing stutters when tuning an engine map.

More info here: https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/obd/
onewizard likes this.

2015 Versys 650
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

So, my fuel line extension failed and started spewing fuel all over the bike when the fuel pump was activated. The connector didn't hold on to the tank's outlet pipe

Doesn't matter, I've put the tank on normally, over the airbox, and connected using without any kind of extension. Turns out you don't need an extension, you'll just have to assemble the bike a bit more completely. Now I have another question.

Here's what Carbtune shows (yeah, I splurged) when the engine is warm, prior to any adjustment
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jWUWLeVGxahstiwP6

Would you consider that synchronized? There is a small difference between the two throttles, but is it good enough? I'm asking because I'm unable to adjust the pilot screws with the 90 deg screwdriver that I have, it's too big, I'd have to buy a better one. And if it's good enough as is, there's no point on spending more.

Also, the measurements are at ~260mmHg, the manual claims it should be 284mmHg (+/-10). Is it important to have the correct absolute values or should I just aim to have the relative difference close to 0?

Edit: Carbtune's manual states that the difference between cylinders should be within 20mmHg, so I think I'm good. Have put the bike back together.

2015 Versys 650

Last edited by _Big_Mac_; 04-27-2019 at 11:08 AM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

How To Forum

Quote:
So, my fuel line extension failed and started spewing fuel all over the bike when the fuel pump was activated. The connector didn't hold on to the tank's outlet pipe

Doesn't matter, I've put the tank on normally, over the airbox, and connected using without any kind of extension. Turns out you don't need an extension, you'll just have to assemble the bike a bit more completely. Now I have another question.

Here's what Carbtune shows (yeah, I splurged) when the engine is warm, prior to any adjustment
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jWUWLeVGxahstiwP6

Would you consider that synchronized? There is a small difference between the two throttles, but is it good enough? I'm asking because I'm unable to adjust the pilot screws with the 90 deg screwdriver that I have, it's too big, I'd have to buy a better one. And if it's good enough as is, there's no point on spending more.

Also, the measurements are at ~260mmHg, the manual claims it should be 284mmHg (+/-10). Is it important to have the correct absolute values or should I just aim to have the relative difference close to 0?

Edit: Carbtune's manual states that the difference between cylinders should be within 20mmHg, so I think I'm good. Have put the bike back together.
Looks like I need to do another test on my 2015 as I have conflicting photos in the How To Forum, this should look familiar as this is my 2015 before the flash. Maybe if I get time I will do another one, as it is a 5 minute process with my extended vacuum lines.I have both 26 and 28 balanced photos. So I will look into it. Like winter again today.
Edit, April 27, 2019, found my original photos and the 28 is correct for my 2015 after valve shim, however I will test again since I have over 13,000 KM on that now.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...370-post3.html

photo taken Feb.10, 2017 of my 2015 after valve shim

I did a update today on my 2015 Vacuum sync at almost 24,000 KM , posted photos https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...gs-mk-3-a.html

Last edited by onewizard; 04-27-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode