Auxiliary Relay Power - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By leftbrain99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Auxiliary Relay Power

So I have a 16 Versys and I have the factory relay installed (actually just installed a generic relay) to activate the bullet connectors up front for the gear indicator and the connectors for the heated grips and LED lights. I am however confused at the capacity of this circuit. When I pull the 5amp ACC fuse all connections are dead. The same happens when I pull the 10 amp (AIG I think) fuse. Currently I have a gear indicator and a tank bag 12v connection connected to the connectors up front and heated grips connected to the connectors designated for that. My question/issue is I have (2) 60w (10amp) LED light I want to connect. Can I connect those to the factory wires on the left side behind the fearing near the radiator or will that pop the fuse? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 11:15 AM

Garage
If you pull the fuze of course no power will be used to complete the circuit. Here is the basic how modern vehicles use circuit. (-) Battery (+)connects to a switch ---> relay ---> fuse ---> lights, toys, music, heated grips or est. (-) ---> (+) Battery. To answer your question it's hard, got pictures, it's almost like you going to do harm to your bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

60 Watts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch1581 View Post
So I have a 16 Versys and I have the factory relay installed (actually just installed a generic relay) to activate the bullet connectors up front for the gear indicator and the connectors for the heated grips and LED lights. I am however confused at the capacity of this circuit. When I pull the 5amp ACC fuse all connections are dead. The same happens when I pull the 10 amp (AIG I think) fuse. Currently I have a gear indicator and a tank bag 12v connection connected to the connectors up front and heated grips connected to the connectors designated for that. My question/issue is I have (2) 60w (10amp) LED light I want to connect. Can I connect those to the factory wires on the left side behind the fearing near the radiator or will that pop the fuse? Thanks
First I find it hard to believe you have 5 amp at 12 volt LED lamps, what are they like 12000 lumen each ? Secondly, lots of info in this forum under How To
If truly 10 amp, you need to add a separate fused circuit C/W relay, triggered off either your aux. relay or tail light, depending where you mount the relay.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...n-outlets.html
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...thing-etc.html
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...5-earlier.html

Last edited by onewizard; 03-15-2019 at 12:18 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:21 PM

Garage
To add to the above responses, two different fuses are in play with the accessory relay. The bullet connectors themselves are on the 5A fused circuit. The accessory relay uses a switched power source as a trigger and that source is on the 10A fused circuit you found. So when you pull that 10A fuse, the relay can't close to provide power from the 5A circuit, because the trigger is gone, and when you pull just the 5A Accessory fuse, the relay can still close but can provide no juice.
onewizard likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I'm agree on the wattage. They are from China and listed as 60w. After testing with a meter they draw 1.4amps each so like 17watts. Is that ok to connect to the bullet connectors designated for the OEM lights? According to what you are saying all 3 bullet connector locations are on a 5 amp? If that's the case my heated grips and these lights would probably pop the fuse. How do I access the 10amp circuit? I thought installing the relay activated the bullet connectors which would mean they are on the 10amp circuit?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch1581 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I'm agree on the wattage. They are from China and listed as 60w. After testing with a meter they draw 1.4amps each so like 17watts. Is that ok to connect to the bullet connectors designated for the OEM lights? According to what you are saying all 3 bullet connector locations are on a 5 amp? If that's the case my heated grips and these lights would probably pop the fuse. How do I access the 10amp circuit? I thought installing the relay activated the bullet connectors which would mean they are on the 10amp circuit?
Personally I would add a second fused circuit and relay, there is no 10 amp aux. cct., that trigger cct. is your fuel pump and ECU power feed, you don't want to mess with that.

A alternative would be to upgrade your city lights to phillips LED, tap into the city lights for your China lights. Look at 16-56 of the service manual, the city lights, horn and tail light are on a 10 amp fuse. The reason for a separate fused cct and relay is for good reason, you follow my alternate method and crash, guess what, you lose your tail and brake light and plate light and no horn
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Anyone have any idea how many watts or amps these things draw that are intended to connect to the factory wiring under the left side fearing?
https://www.kawasaki.com/accessories...-bar/999941127
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:38 PM

Garage
Are you trying to get brighter lights, let me help you on the cost. https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/spee...conversion-kit Pick up a H7 for DRL and H7 for high beam it will put the whole block on daylight. Just cost 10$ more than standard light bulb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Crimson Apple; 03-16-2019 at 12:50 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 03:18 PM

Garage
Cheap and slow to illuminate HIDís donít make for good high beams. My experience with HID conversions were less than positive so I switched to LED bulbs - reasonably priced good ones, not the cheap ones.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

I do have LED bulbs in my blinkers, running lights, licence plate, headlight and hi-beam light. I am adding these auxiliary lights for both daytime viability to others as well as to increase visibility at night for myself. I realize the aux light I got are cheap, and may cause others to flash me at night, but honestly I really don't care anymore. Majority of cars our there have improperly aimed or improperly matched bulb to housing and are super bright when looking at them. So at this point I figure for the small amount of nighttime riding I do I am ok getting a few flashes. I wired the lights direct to the factory connector and along with my heated grips on high no fuses popped. I am guessing the lights I have would draw comparable amps to the factory lights so I am going to leave it how it is for now. Hopefully I do not have any issues. Thanks.

Funny thing, I ordered the below and they showed up with 6 leds instead of 4 and are labeled 60W on the side, obviously they are not 60w, but they are really bright!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-LED-White...72.m2749.l2649

Last edited by Butch1581; 03-16-2019 at 04:16 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:04 PM

Garage
Whoa ...

No pict so far in any thread ...

Here's one ... has nothing to do with the thread however ...

LOP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g2av9kyvjjsoufllmmgyzr5t4xrb0xcxav9mh41m7bc9x8wbja3ub3vl54hmmbj.jpg (85.5 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode