STS Smart Turn module install - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

STS Smart Turn module install

Has anyone installed one of these? I don’t have the same colored wires as the instructions reference. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 07:39 PM

Garage
Yea, I installed one on my 2008. Make sure you have the right connector. All my wires matched up fine. The biggest problem that you are going to have is relocating all of those patched wires and the box. I slid mine up into the triple tree area. Not the best place. Way too much wire flex in that area. Try to leave the wires as long as possible. Try relocating everything under the tank cowling.

Randy

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:22 PM

Garage
got soldering iron kit? upload the instruction paper? front turn signal 15+ positive is yellow negative is black. To me I don't like their sales pitch by the time your using your turn signals its too late. Rider should not get lazy and use turn signals ahead of time anyways. Cheers, I can help if you upload the instructions.
HoosierFordMan likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:26 PM

Garage
I have never been a fan of marketing guys either but they are a necessary evil. I am very happy with my STS's. My problem was that that I was constantly forgetting to cancel my stock system. The problem got so bad that I just stopped using my electric ones and opted for manual signals because I never forgot to cancel them. The big problem is that many of today's drivers don't have a clue what hand signals mean. Personally, I now feel much safer using my electronic signals. Yes, one needs to take all precautions prior to making your turn, but having your right signal flash while making a left turn kind of nullifies those precautions.

Randy

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias

Last edited by Randyjaco; 03-10-2019 at 07:32 PM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Apple View Post
To me I don't like their sales pitch by the time your using your turn signals its too late. Rider should not get lazy and use turn signals ahead of time anyways.
Could you please elaborate (explain)? sales pitch ... turn signals too late .... use turn signals ahead of time...???
Thanks!
leftbrain99 likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Last edited by quexpress; 03-11-2019 at 09:38 AM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyjaco View Post
Yea, I installed one on my 2008. Make sure you have the right connector. All my wires matched up fine. The biggest problem that you are going to have is relocating all of those patched wires and the box. I slid mine up into the triple tree area. Not the best place. Way too much wire flex in that area. Try to leave the wires as long as possible. Try relocating everything under the tank cowling.

Randy

Well, the instructions say you’re supposed to have a grey, green and orange. I had two grey and two green.

I have to say that STS support is fantastic. I got a response this weekend. Now, granted, they’re in Slovenia and turns out they make these there, I get a response writhin 24 hours each time I’ve asked a question.

The response was that I must have been past the plug where they split some connections. In fact, I was not and they used the same color conventions between the turn signal switch and the hazard lights switch. Luckily they’re close enough that I could simply tug them and feel which was which. Also complicating this was the fact they’re all the same circuit so testing for continuity only confirmed that the same color wires were indeed part of the same leg.

I’m now having to replace my crimp pliers as I can’t find them so I’m stalled for tonight.

So far the only thing I wish they’d change is adding a spare of each connector.

quexpress likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 10:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Apple View Post
got soldering iron kit? upload the instruction paper? front turn signal 15+ positive is yellow negative is black. To me I don't like their sales pitch by the time your using your turn signals its too late. Rider should not get lazy and use turn signals ahead of time anyways. Cheers, I can help if you upload the instructions.
The way I read your comment, I get the feeling you think this unit engages the turn signal upon turning. It does not. It automatically cancels the turn signal after it senses you've completed the turning maneuver for which you manually signaled prior. If I am incorrect about the basis for your opinion, can you elaborate or clarify?
quexpress and HoosierFordMan like this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:43 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierFordMan View Post
Well, the instructions say you’re supposed to have a grey, green and orange. I had two grey and two green.

I have to say that STS support is fantastic. I got a response this weekend. Now, granted, they’re in Slovenia and turns out they make these there, I get a response writhin 24 hours each time I’ve asked a question.

The response was that I must have been past the plug where they split some connections. In fact, I was not and they used the same color conventions between the turn signal switch and the hazard lights switch. Luckily they’re close enough that I could simply tug them and feel which was which. Also complicating this was the fact they’re all the same circuit so testing for continuity only confirmed that the same color wires were indeed part of the same leg.

I’m now having to replace my crimp pliers as I can’t find them so I’m stalled for tonight.

So far the only thing I wish they’d change is adding a spare of each connector.

Did you take pics of your wire connections? If so, an interested guy (with a 2015) would like to see them.

I just shuffle slower.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Did you take pics of your wire connections? If so, an interested guy (with a 2015) would like to see them.

Indeed, I did. IMG_0494.jpg

I took these to show STS there are multiples of the same colors before they split or go to a plug.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Could you please elaborate (explain)? sales pitch ... turn signals too late .... use turn signals ahead of time...???
Thanks!
I see far too many people put their turn-signals ON as they commence their turn rather than EARLY, to give notice of their intent.

-
quexpress and 16VGTIDave like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:50 PM

Cool

Quote:

I took these to show STS there are multiples of the same colors before they split or go to a plug.

Excellent pics! I'll keep this in mind when I receive mine but until I see it for myself, I'm not really sure what exactly was the problem.
Thank you!

I just shuffle slower.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

No problem!

The issue was the instructions say to cut the wires and crimp the connectors they give you onto the green, orange and grey wires. So three wires total. When opening the switch you find two orange, two green and two grey. Getting into the harness behind the fairing and ahead of the tank, there is one orange, two green and two grey. As they are all on the same circuit (turn signal switch and hazard lights switch, both running the same lights) you can’t check the wires for continuity as you get continuity on both the hazard AND turn signal switch on each same-color wire. You could check for voltage, I assume, with them actively blinking, but I found you could tug them and confirm which grey is which grey, etc. I have yet to complete it as I couldn’t find my crimpers, but hope to have it done this week.

quexpress likes this.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

These are the wires in the harness and where I opened it. Hope this helps!

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 04:08 PM

Cool

Quote:

These are the wires in the harness and where I opened it. Hope this helps!

Excellent pics and explanation.
Thanks a lot!

I just shuffle slower.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:44 PM

Garage
Quote:

The left and right side signal wires actually split off at multiple places. There is a connector near the switch housing. On the switch side, the Orange, Green, and Gray wires each go to both the turn signal switch and the hazard switch, as you noted earlier. On the harness side of that connector, the Orange wire leads to the turn signal relay and nowhere else. The Green and Gray wires are split off to the rear turn signal bulbs, the front turn signal bulbs, and the indicator bulbs in the dash. So those doubled up wires you found in the harness - one likely goes to the front and the other to the rear.
quexpress likes this.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

So I’ve hit a snag. It seems the red and black wires aren’t 12VDC power. I’m getting 0.10VDC out of the red and 528ohms to ground on the black. And I’m getting a switched 12VDC on the orange which is the “signal” line going to the turn signal switch. Now it makes sense to have power coming in and then it’s pushed to the contacts for the left and right bulbs but STS’s instructions state it goes to the relay which I assumed you’d only get voltage when you engage the switch, but admittedly I don’t have the schematics. It’s just backwards to what I would assume it would be. My issue is simply that I don’t have power to the power circuit of the module. There is switched 12VDC in there but they’re for the brights and the pass switch. I’m assuming that wouldn’t cause an issue. I’ve sent an email into STS to get their thoughts. We’ll see what happens.

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Everything on the Net

So I found instructions, my concern is there is no mention about the emergency flasher switch on the MK-3. Since I have done some changes to my signal lights I am quite familiar with the wiring, first thing to be aware of is the positive feed goes directly to the Kawasaki flasher, which is mounted up front of the bike, I installed a 3 wire China flasher and have photos etc. in the How To forum. I added signal and flashing running lights on my BarkBusters.

As to wiring, with the exception of adding the foam and going by page #2 of the instructions which I have included, everything else should be done where the left and right signal light wires split from the harness . So the red STS is positive switched power which is at the OEM light flasher & the black STS wire is frame ground or negative; the brown is STS wire that was from the OEM flasher going to the signal switch; white is right turn signal switch wire that went to right but now to STS;purple is left turn signal now going to left STS;green is now your new left turn signal wire; yellow is now your new right turn signal wire; blue is a input from the OEM flasher that originally went to the signal switch, now a input to the STS. So after all this to automatically cancel your turn signal switch because you forget to do it.

I have a very simple solution, and one day I may install it, I have had a 12 volt sonic alarm kicking around because I use to forget on my XL250 R to turn off the signal lights, the indicator was more or less non existent for the signal lights as there were street and dual sport was a conversion. You take 2 diodes and the backup alarm, each time the signal is on so is the alarm, people may pay more attention as they may be looking for a truck backing up, plus you could aim it at yourself so it is really annoying, reminding you. Cost under $20. I am not kidding, I think I would add some sort of switch , just in case riding buddies get PD off .

For those interested, a link to what I think are the correct instructions along with cross reference colour codes per bike manufacturer

http://safer-turn.de/wp-content/uplo...ENG%20BOOK.PDF
jaaklucas and HoosierFordMan like this.

Last edited by onewizard; 03-16-2019 at 07:29 PM.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
So I found instructions, my concern is there is no mention about the emergency flasher switch on the MK-3. Since I have done some changes to my signal lights I am quite familiar with the wiring, first thing to be aware of is the positive feed goes directly to the Kawasaki flasher, which is mounted up front of the bike, I installed a 3 wire China flasher and have photos etc. in the How To forum. I added signal and flashing running lights on my BarkBusters.

As to wiring, with the exception of adding the foam and going by page #2 of the instructions which I have included, everything else should be done where the left and right signal light wires split from the harness . So the red STS is positive switched power which is at the OEM light flasher & the black STS wire is frame ground or negative; the brown is STS wire that was from the OEM flasher going to the signal switch; white is right turn signal switch wire that went to right but now to STS;purple is left turn signal now going to left STS;green is now your new left turn signal wire; yellow is now your new right turn signal wire; blue is a input from the OEM flasher that originally went to the signal switch, now a input to the STS. So after all this to automatically cancel your turn signal switch because you forget to do it.

I have a very simple solution, and one day I may install it, I have had a 12 volt sonic alarm kicking around because I use to forget on my XL250 R to turn off the signal lights, the indicator was more or less non existent for the signal lights as there were street and dual sport was a conversion. You take 2 diodes and the backup alarm, each time the signal is on so is the alarm, people may pay more attention as they may be looking for a truck backing up, plus you could aim it at yourself so it is really annoying, reminding you. Cost under $20. I am not kidding, I think I would add some sort of switch , just in case riding buddies get PD off .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6hURO2mDjE

For those interested, a link to what I think are the correct instructions along with cross reference colour codes per bike manufacturer

http://safer-turn.de/wp-content/uplo...ENG%20BOOK.PDF

Thank you for your detailed reply!
Now let me ask a couple silly questions. When you refer to the flasher, are you meaning the 12V coming into the turn signal switch on the orange wire? Where IS the proper place to draw the 12V to power the module? As for the other wires I have all that sorted. I only ran into problems with this issue of the red and black not being accurate for this bike. I appreciate the help as I’m certainly not much of an electrician.

Also, I just installed my Barkbusters today and also have running lights which I need to power. Might I ask where you drew that power?

Thanks!

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Signal Lights / BarkBuster

I updated my posts, wire to original flasher is Red from flasher to signal switch is green, you need to look at drawing 16-59 of the 2015 service manual, it shows th wires splitting up after the switch, your changes need to be done before the split. Not posting the drawing 16-59 as you will need to enlarge it several times to make out the colour of the wires.

As to your question, I used the red wire that went to the flasher as power to my two relays, the normally closed contact is my running lights, the normally open is my signal lights. The coil circuit for my L and R relays is left and right main signal lights . Green is left coil cct and gray is right coil cct. , black with yellow tracer is negative ground. Again drawing 16-59 explains this far better, you will see there are two splits, one at the switch and a second for each direction.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...975-post4.html
The above from this thread https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...-g-others.html

Plus Page 2 of this ;
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...onversion.html

Last edited by onewizard; 03-17-2019 at 01:07 PM.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:55 PM

Red face

Where did the delete function go?
I had a question which was redundant (senile moment) and therefore decided to cancel my post.

I just shuffle slower.

Last edited by quexpress; 03-19-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode