ABS light ON after front tire change - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

ABS light ON after front tire change

Yes, I searched and read a few responses...but everyone seems to have a different take.

So, I changed the front tire, the brakes work but the ABS light is constantly "ON". Did I damage the sensor, or is there a spacing issue, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:07 PM

Garage
Year of bike, tire size and brand installed, did you reinstall the collars and seals correctly. Did you move the bike more than 50ft if not ABS will remain on till both wheel move forward. Did you over grease the brakes and got grease over the censor, the brake disk has hash marks close to the axle is it dirty? did you balance the wheel if not the fast wobble will simulate gravel roads and ABS will stay on and only restart calculation when bike is restarted and ridden.

(2007-2017 V650 service manual)
Even when the ABS is operating normally, the yellow ABS
indicator light (LED) may come on under the conditions
listed below. Turn the ignition switch off to stop the indicator
light. If the motorcycle runs without erasing the service
code, the indicator light may come on again.
OAfter continuous riding on a rough road.
OWhen the engine is started with the stand raised and the
transmission engaged, and the rear wheel turns.
OWhen accelerating so abruptly that the front wheel leaves
the ground.
OWhen the ABS has been subjected to strong electrical
interference.
OWhen tire pressure is abnormal. Adjust tire pressure.
OWhen a tire different in size from the standard size is being
used. Replace with standard size.
OWhen the wheel is deformed. Replace the wheel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Crimson Apple; 03-04-2019 at 09:21 PM.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Apple View Post
Year of bike, tire size and brand installed, did you reinstall the collars and seals correctly. Did you move the bike more than 50ft if not ABS will remain on till both wheel move forward. Did you over grease the brakes and got grease over the censor, the brake disk has hash marks close to the axle is it dirty? did you balance the wheel if not the fast wobble will simulate gravel roads and ABS will stay on and only restart calculation when bike is restarted and ridden.

(2007-2017 V650 service manual)
Even when the ABS is operating normally, the yellow ABS
indicator light (LED) may come on under the conditions
listed below. Turn the ignition switch off to stop the indicator
light. If the motorcycle runs without erasing the service
code, the indicator light may come on again.
OAfter continuous riding on a rough road.
OWhen the engine is started with the stand raised and the
transmission engaged, and the rear wheel turns.
OWhen accelerating so abruptly that the front wheel leaves
the ground.
OWhen the ABS has been subjected to strong electrical
interference.
OWhen tire pressure is abnormal. Adjust tire pressure.
OWhen a tire different in size from the standard size is being
used. Replace with standard size.
OWhen the wheel is deformed. Replace the wheel.

2018 Versys 650. 11,000 miles.

It's the right size tire. I took it down to the local gas station (about 2 miles) and got it up to 60 mph. I feel no wobbling and the front end ran straight and didn't pull.
The only thing was when I first started it up and backing out of the driveway, when I squeezed the brakes there was no pressure on the first squeeze. The second squeeze I was back to normal.
Should I bleed the brakes?

***Oh, and the brakes worked fine on the ride.

Last edited by Devilsfan; 03-05-2019 at 05:18 AM.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:27 AM

first, let's get the abs self-service diagnostic code.

See https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ml#post1604615
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
2018 Versys 650. 11,000 miles.

It's the right size tire. I took it down to the local gas station (about 2 miles) and got it up to 60 mph. I feel no wobbling and the front end ran straight and didn't pull.
The only thing was when I first started it up and backing out of the driveway, when I squeezed the brakes there was no pressure on the first squeeze. The second squeeze I was back to normal.
Should I bleed the brakes?

***Oh, and the brakes worked fine on the ride.
WHENEVER you remove a wheel, then re-install it - it's a GOOD IDEA to squeeze the appropriate brake lever several times to re-seat the pads, so you don't run into the surprise of trying to stop but there are NO brakes...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:09 PM

Garage
FIXED?

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
first, let's get the abs self-service diagnostic code.

See https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ml#post1604615

When it says, "With the ignition off, ground this jack." Any chance you can explain how one "grounds this jack"? Do I just connect the wire to a ground?
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 07:28 PM

Garage
you got a 2018 bike your service codes shows up on the dash. No Ground any wire needed. ABS will blink Long and short and repeats for like 5 min. Long is first number short is 2nd number.
Pre-Diagnosis Inspection 2
1)Check the yellow ABS indicator light (LED).
o Does the indicator light come on with the ignition switch to ON? NO [Check the power source wiring and meter unit.]
2)YES, Drive at 10 km/h (6.2 mph) or above for one minute or more.
3)When the motorcycle is running, does the indicator light go off? YES [ABS is normal.]
4)NO!!!! Count the number of times the indicator light blinks in the self-diagnosis mode to find the service code.

Last edited by Crimson Apple; 03-05-2019 at 07:58 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 07:58 PM

Is your front wheel direction of rotation now backwards?

ABS light staying on

Last edited by invader; 03-05-2019 at 08:03 PM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Did you install your wheel backwards or the tire backwards or both? Im 99% sure your ABS sensor is on the left side of the bike!!

Last edited by Crimson Apple; 03-05-2019 at 08:05 PM.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:08 PM

Garage
check the picture ABS is on left side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51214124_374798666643793_5104402291507593216_n.jpg (50.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 53302389_299070664111933_234572619578343424_n.jpg (39.1 KB, 11 views)

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
you got a 2018 bike your service codes shows up on the dash.

I just started her up. I "grounded" that terminal as per the Service Manual (Section 12-41). After turning on the ignition with it grounded, the ABS light blinks once and holds-then 2 short blinks, then repeats.
I'm assuming this is Code 12, according to the Service manual (Section 12-45)???

If it is it says, "Problems- Start code (not fault) | Light State - After starts, turn off"

I have no idea what that means!

NEVERMIND!!! I'm an idiot!!! Yep, Crimson Apple nailed it. I have the wheel installed on the wrong side. Son of a .... Back to the No-Mar for another tire change. Live and learn.

***For what it's worth, this is my first ever ABS bike.
turn8a and asphaltaddict33 like this.

Last edited by Devilsfan; 03-05-2019 at 08:29 PM.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:33 PM

Garage
That's normal, it's reading your ABS starting code, need to ride to get the other code. and did you check if the metal hash mark on the Brake disk is on the left side of your bike. If it is that's the problem and will make me giggle a little bit. (check my picture does it match.)

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That's normal, it's reading your ABS starting code, need to ride to get the other code. and did you check if the metal hash mark on the Brake disk is on the left side of your bike. If it is that's the problem and will make me giggle a little bit. (check my picture does it match.)
If you can't laugh at yourself, who can ya laugh at?!?!

Man, I miss the simple bikes without all that ABS/Relays?LED's/blah, blah, blah...
turn8a and quexpress like this.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:50 PM

Garage
You still can ride the bike as long you don't brake too much on the front disk so your pad will not be conformed/shaped wrong. Also no ABS brakes, if you are going to ride it make sure your front tire is in the forward position if not, easy fix, no need retire or blanence just put on a front motorcycle stand change it and torque the right lbs you be a okay. If you got it done with cycle gear is free for redo and tell them nicely they didn't use a service manual.

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:03 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
NEVERMIND!!! I'm an idiot!!! Yep, Crimson Apple nailed it. I have the wheel installed on the wrong side. Son of a .... Back to the No-Mar for another tire change. Live and learn.
You mean Invader nailed it! Crimson Apple then quoted my first post.

Quote:

ABS light staying on
Devilsfan likes this.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You still can ride the bike as long you don't brake too much on the front disk so your pad will not be conformed/shaped wrong. Also no ABS brakes, if you are going to ride it make sure your front tire is in the forward position if not, easy fix, no need retire or blanence just put on a front motorcycle stand change it and torque the right lbs you be a okay. If you got it done with cycle gear is free for redo and tell them nicely they didn't use a service manual.

I'll change it out myself and get it right. I think I was so in-tuned to just getting the tire mounted to the rim that I never paid attention to what side was what. I went by the tire arrow and the rim wheel stripes.

Quote:
You mean Invader nailed it! Crimson Apple then quoted my first post.
Apologies!!! Invader's the winner!!!

Seriously, to ALL, thanks for the help. I was trying to do too much, too fast. Wasn't thinking this thing through.
salnap likes this.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I have the wheel installed on the wrong side....
I ALWAYS look at the small DIRECTIONAL ARROW on the LEFT side of the front wheel, just IN from the fork - check the pic I just took. (I 'highlight' it w/ black felt-marker.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1915.JPG (358.6 KB, 17 views)
quexpress likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

OK, I changed out the tire, then remounted, then put the wheel on the correct side of the ABS.

And it's official...that axle nut can kiss my ASS!!!!! I've rubber mallet'd it, I've finessed it...NOTHING WORKS!!! It won't catch the thread no matter what I do. I've wiggled, lifted, pulled, pushed the tire...NOTHING!!!

I'm done for the night before I pull out the grinder and start sawing that thing into small pieces.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 09:05 PM

Your forks may be slightly offset, height wise.
Devilsfan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode