10 foot tall jack/lift - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

10 foot tall jack/lift

...because that's what you need to get the front tire off the ground to change it!

What the hell?!?!

I bought a triple tree lift/stand. Even tried it with boards underneath. The Versys is too tall.

Which leaves me with a question...since I'm going to have to go spend another $50 on a fork stand because my $100 one is useless, then what happens when I have to take the forks off?

Or am I going to need to lower the front forks in order to drop the bike down? What a hassle for a tire change and/or fork seal change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
...because that's what you need to get the front tire off the ground to change it!

What the hell?!?!

I bought a triple tree lift/stand. Even tried it with boards underneath. The Versys is too tall.

Which leaves me with a question...since I'm going to have to go spend another $50 on a fork stand because my $100 one is useless, then what happens when I have to take the forks off?

Or am I going to need to lower the front forks in order to drop the bike down? What a hassle for a tire change and/or fork seal change.
What did you buy? Lots of info on this site, no excuse for buying the wrong thing. https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...r-methods.html
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Never mind.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ont-stand.html

***And unless I'm totally brainless a different pin ONLY fits in the triple tree hole better. It does NOT raise the bike higher.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
What did you buy? Lots of info on this site, no excuse for buying the wrong thing. https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...r-methods.html

Yep, my mistake and ignorance. I really didn't think all these brands were height-differentiated. I'm going to take this one back and look at the others.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Venom Stand 2015 Versys Lowered

Comment about pin size is incorrect , have a close look at my 2015 which is lowered, however the difference is about the same as the clearance under my lowered tire.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...4-post119.html
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Comment about pin size is incorrect , have a close look at my 2015 which is lowered, however the difference is about the same as the clearance under my lowered tire.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...4-post119.html
I bought the Trackstand brand, which looks exactly like the Venom. (Probably made by the same company!)

I'll see if they have the 27 mm pin. If not, it's going back and I'm getting something different...like a crane.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:23 PM

My T-Rex stand shipped with an undersized pin, and while it didn't prevent lifting the bike it did allow enough wiggle for the stand to contact the forward bodywork. The correct pin greatly improved the overall stability and ease of use of the stand. If you don't have the correct sized pin, I recommend replacing it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...then what happens when I have to take the forks off?

Here's some pics of removing the forks in my Vs:

as well as removing the steering-stem:

For removing the 'stem' I fabbed up that stand from some 2x4s, stabilized the V w/ straps to the ceiling, and used a jack UNDER the muffler w/ another "thing" made from scrap wood to support the muffler....
Devilsfan likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Here's some pics of removing the forks in my Vs:

as well as removing the steering-stem:

For removing the 'stem' I fabbed up that stand from some 2x4s, stabilized the V w/ straps to the ceiling, and used a jack UNDER the muffler w/ another "thing" made from scrap wood to support the muffler....

I took the stand back this morning, then exchanged it for a Pitbull front fork stand. BIG difference! Although they didn't have the triple tree add-on I suppose I will get it if and when I need it.
I managed to get the front tire off, new tire and FINALLY got that damn axle in. What a bear that thing was! I wound up using my cruiser hydraulic jack under the muffler to lift it just a little. Had to adjust one of the forks to get the axle to thread...what a mess that was!
But it's done and I will post pics in the No Mar thread.

But I like your idea of using those 2X4's to make a stand. That Pitbull stand cost $170!!! (And that's WITHOUT the triple tree attachment! )
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I managed to get the front tire off, new tire and FINALLY got that damn axle in. What a bear that thing was! I wound up using my cruiser hydraulic jack under the muffler to lift it just a little. Had to adjust one of the forks to get the axle to thread...what a mess that was!...
I've run into the SAME issue OFTEN when re-installing front wheels on ALL THREE of my V650s.

Rather than 'drop' the left fork, I have the front tire rest on a piece of wood (to about the right height), then as I turn the axle I push up on the left fork leg to line-up the threads.

USUALLY goes pretty easily then.

Devilsfan likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode