Crap clutch wont engage. Help? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Crap clutch wont engage. Help?

2011 v650 with 28,000 miles

Driving along at highway speeds 90+ all of a sudden I started loosing speed. It was like a switch was pulled, not a gradual let off or anything I honestly thought I bumped the kill switch when it happened.

Engine revs fine, I can move it through the gears, but no power to the rear wheel. Its like I am pulling in the clutch lever at all times.

Thankfully I was moving fast enough to coast to the exit and off the 4 lane highway. Again tested at the exit. Could not get it to move under its own power. Engine starts, runs, shifts, but feels like I am pulling on the clutch.

Things I checked. The clutch lever feels perfect, and is moving the arm on top of the transmission. I can move the bike through the gears with or without pulling the lever. Does not stall when letting go of the lever. My gear shift indicator is reading the changes as I do them letting the clutch in and out.

Am I right in thinking its friction plates////what ever else voodo is under that cover? I'm comfortable doing waterpumps and starters and stuff on tucks. Is this beyond me and off to the dealer? Or is it paint by numbers? Assuming I do need those plates, should I consider anything other than stock Kawasaki?

I will double check my cable is working properly but did so on the side of the road.
Just beat. I went for a 4 hour ride and did almost 300 miles then had to sit on the side of the road for 2 hours ugh. Its 85 and Im dehydrated and grumpy.

But screwed up thing is Im not mad about the part breaking or getting toasted in the heat. Im mad I cant ride my bike to the store right now and have to take my truck...... these damn things I love them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Only comment I can make, does the clutch lever near the foot brake have slack in it ? This was recently discussed , if your clutch was not adjusted properly, very easy to take the clutch out if riding with tension on it. Clutch should be checked cold, not sure if you have ever had it happen, first thing, you put it in gear and the bike wants to move forward, the reason for that is the lack of or reduced amount of oil between plates.

In the X300 but still applies ;https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...tch+adjustment
Kyle E likes this.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That's really weird... While I try to look into it, have you checked if you still have a drive chain?

You have to remove the clutch cover and inspect to see if all you need are new plates. You don't have to drain any oil out if you lean it over enough... With such a sudden failure, something is bound to be broken within the clutch basket somehow.

I would get a good used complete clutch assembly from a 1st gen Versys/Ninja/ER6 650 made in Japan like my 2007 before you open her up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-CO...fdj:rk:81:pf:0

Last edited by invader; 03-03-2019 at 07:12 PM.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:57 PM

bikerzindia 16th February 2017- Versys 650: Horrible experience with Kawasaki & its dealers

"Dream Ride on My Dream Bike:

After purchasing the Versys supposedly a tourer , I started my All Indian State Capitals and Union Territories tour on 11 Sep 2016. I started my tour from Bangalore and covered the eastern side of India and entered the North East on about 18 Sep 2016.

Dream turns Nightmare:

On 22 Sep 2016, while on way from Aizwal the capital of Mizoram to Silchar (Assam), the clutch failed and I met with an accident. The accident was caused by sudden declutching of the bike on a bad patch near Kwang Pui (Mizoram) with about 9200 kms on the odometer.

The technician then opened the clutch assembly and told me that the clutch plates, the clutch Hub, wheel hub and a few other parts of the clutch assembly were worn out unnaturally."

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...s-dealers.html

Last edited by invader; 03-03-2019 at 07:05 PM.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:32 PM

Maybe your clutch suffered when your cable failed last September?

Clutch slipping after install. (FIXED)
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
How many miles on clutch, original clutch? Could be clutch is worn out mate. OEM plates and gasket is cheaper on bikebandit website very easy install cost around $180 with oil and filter and gasket.
Kyle E likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:14 PM

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Got a nap and cooled off.

Figure I am 1000 miles from an oil change so mind as well drain it and look for metal bits and pop the cover off the clutch.

Then it dawns on me. While waiting for the tow truck I said to myself. "Hmm that one tooth on the sprocket has a chip in it. Next chain mind as well do there rear." Granted it had been a long day in the heat on the bike, and 4 hours sleep to start with.... but damn that's just stupid to not notice the chain missing.

So idiot of the year award goes to the tire shop that put the chain on under 1000 miles ago. Idiot of the day award goes to me.

Winner of the pro diagnosis goes to invader for saying chain!

Will have words with the tire shop hopefully tomorrow. Went back through the video of the trip and can hear the chain pop off. No one drove by me shaking a fist so at least it didn't hit someone at 90mph+.
invader likes this.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 09:03 PM

Garage
Will have words with the tire shop hopefully tomorrow. Went back through the video of the trip and can hear the chain pop off. No one drove by me shaking a fist so at least it didn't hit someone at 90mph+.[/QUOTE]

I will humbly take an idiot award. Rather than being thrown off that MC at those speeds.
You definitely got the better end of that deal.
Kyle E likes this.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigar View Post
Rather than being thrown off that MC at those speeds.
Knowing I was going to take the long trip today I did a detail clean and oil along with a slack measure was just under 3cm. I know I looked good at the master link because I used that as the measurement spot.

There was no weird vibes or anything just cant figure it out.

Might move up my plans of a shaft drive bike.....
Devilsfan likes this.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:01 PM

Thumbs up

invader's 1st reply. Then, invader got carried away with the clutch scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
That's really weird... While I try to look into it, have you checked if you still have a drive chain?
onewizard and Kyle E like this.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:12 PM

What made me suspect the chain right away is the sudden and complete loss of power transfer, and a clutch lever that still felt perfectly normal.
Kyle E likes this.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 07:15 AM
jpd

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
If there is such a thing as a lucky break you got one. Most broken chain post here result in major damage to the counter shaft area of the bike.
onewizard and Kyle E like this.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigar View Post
Rather than being thrown off that MC at those speeds.
Knowing I was going to take the long trip today I did a detail clean and oil along with a slack measure was just under 3cm. I know I looked good at the master link because I used that as the measurement spot.

There was no weird vibes or anything just cant figure it out.

Might move up my plans of a shaft drive bike.....
If you have a nearby dealer take a look at Moto Guzzi. The new V85 adventure bike looks like a winner. Shaft drive.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
If you have a nearby dealer take a look at Moto Guzzi. The new V85 adventure bike looks like a winner. Shaft drive.
Think I am going to go Super Tenere. But not entirely sure yet. I'm going to start watching them for a deal to pop.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
Think I am going to go Super Tenere. But not entirely sure yet. I'm going to start watching them for a deal to pop.
Shaft Drive....Road Trip.....https://www.twtex.com/forums/threads...dition.119964/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 06:22 PM

Garage
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Id like to get into a GSA. But the price they want is just out of reach for me. I can go about $7000~ and get $2500-3000 back out of my V when I sell it.
To get into a water cooled BMW is just out of my price range right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibster View Post
Yep that's about what I am looking at V1 S10 seem to be right in that range. I want to get a better feel for the market before jumping. Thankfully Im not in a hurry and can take the time to wait for a deal. In fact I should go set up my searches on cycletrader now so I can start watching.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Oh and just FYI for a 520 DID chain. Dealer cost is $37.

The shop I go to ate the labor and sold me a new chain at cost. My opinion new chain less then 1500 miles on it they should have ate the chain too. But Im not going to get into something over a $40 chain when they are one of two shops in town that do tires.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Oh and here is the video. After I pass the black car listen for the PINK

weljo2001 and Devilsfan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode