Throttle Body Balancing problems? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve in Sunny Fl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Throttle Body Balancing problems?

Well, I just finished setting the valves on my 2008. Yeah, it only had 14k miles but I did have 3 exhaust valves between .18 and .20 so I am glad I violated common wisdom and checked them anyway.
So my next step it Balancing the throttle bodies. Since everything was already off, I turned the tank around and broke out the manometer. I got everything hooked up and warmed up the engine. My throttle bodies are about 20- 30 mm apart. Once I located the adjusting screws, I noticed that they were all the way in. So I started loosening them up. the overall RPM went up but there was very little effect on the manometer difference. No amount of adjustment would put them at the same height. Any suggestions?

Some of the problem could be my manometer. It is an old Motion Pro 4 column Mercury unit. Columns 1,2 and 3 work,but I can't get any movement on 4. So I am using columns 1 and 2. I notice that I am getting air gaps in the columns of mercury. Is that indicative of anything? I am wondering if I might be low on mercury?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Randy

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyjaco View Post
Well, I just finished setting the valves on my 2008. Yeah, it only had 14k miles but I did have 3 exhaust valves between .18 and .20 so I am glad I violated common wisdom and checked them anyway.
So my next step it Balancing the throttle bodies. Since everything was already off, I turned the tank around and broke out the manometer. I got everything hooked up and warmed up the engine. My throttle bodies are about 20- 30 mm apart. Once I located the adjusting screws, I noticed that they were all the way in. So I started loosening them up. the overall RPM went up but there was very little effect on the manometer difference. No amount of adjustment would put them at the same height. Any suggestions?

Some of the problem could be my manometer. It is an old Motion Pro 4 column Mercury unit. Columns 1,2 and 3 work,but I can't get any movement on 4. So I am using columns 1 and 2. I notice that I am getting air gaps in the columns of mercury. Is that indicative of anything? I am wondering if I might be low on mercury?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Randy
I have done 2 bikes, my 07 Versys and now my 2015, it has been stated else ware that if the sync is out, you should do a valve shim first. What I have found both times doing my valve shim, was the sync was bang on after the valve shim. The following thread discusses the fact one screw is all the way in, most times it is the clutch side TB. The gauges I purchased was on recommendation by others on this site, the difference between 2 channel and 4 channel wasn't much so I got the 4 channel.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...fications.html

I brought my capped vacuum lines out permanently.

Looking lower right you will see the vacuum couplers attached to my gauge lines.The red tape is cylinder #2 and yellow is #1

Last edited by onewizard; 02-14-2019 at 07:45 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I did shim the valves and they're now in spec. Now ,I am following up with the throttle body balance and am having problems with that adjustment.

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
...The following thread discusses the fact one screw is all the way in, most times it is the clutch side TB.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...fications.html

I suggest you go thru the link that Glen added

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
check to make sure you can lower the idle with the idle adjustment knob. I have seen guys close one of the throttle blades, bringing the vacuum up on that cylinder, but it wedges the throttle shaft off the idle stop adjustment. if you have done that, you need to back out the sync adjusting screws until the throttle adjustment works and then re-adjust, maintaining final control with the idle adjustment screw.
onewizard likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Guys, I got it figured out.
Randy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode