Camshaft timing HELP! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lightning44

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Camshaft timing HELP!

Hey guys, looking for some feedback on my cam timing after doing a valve clearance adjustment. I got all the new shims in place, but when I went to put the cams back, I can't seem to get my exhaust cam to time "perfectly" to the top of the engine case as per the owner's manual. I'm trying to figure out if what I have is as close as its going to get or if I need to pull it all apart and try again. It seems like it is like 1/2 cog off or something which doesn't make any sense. The motor does turn over by hand with essentially the same stiffness points as before the cams were out.

Bike is a 2009 V650 with 22500 miles. The chain was held in place during the whole process so I think a kink is unlikely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190210_123750449.jpg (59.2 KB, 49 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

How To Forum

You will find a video on page #2 of here https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...djustment.html

Also I have a much better photo of my 2015 , I have done my previous 07 and also my 2015, since I was aware of mistakes in the printed copy of the service manual, I noted this in my 2015 instructions, also the mechanical of the 2007 through 2016 are all identical. I took extra time to get detail on valve timing, as you screw up , usually damage occurs. Go to post #8 through #9 https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...onewizard.html

Any questions,just ask, several of us have done this valve shim multiple times.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:40 PM

Cam timing looks fine in your photo... You should be able to confirm that it is in fact correct as it is.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning44 View Post
Hey guys, looking for some feedback on my cam timing after doing a valve clearance adjustment. I got all the new shims in place, but when I went to put the cams back, I can't seem to get my exhaust cam to time "perfectly" to the top of the engine case as per the owner's manual. I'm trying to figure out if what I have is as close as its going to get or if I need to pull it all apart and try again. It seems like it is like 1/2 cog off or something which doesn't make any sense. The motor does turn over by hand with essentially the same stiffness points as before the cams were out.

Bike is a 2009 V650 with 22500 miles. The chain was held in place during the whole process so I think a kink is unlikely.
Be very careful , a piston hits a valve, it is the end.There is only one correct valve timing position,, unfortunately there are mistakes in the service manual, I and others have addressed this and so noted in both the MK-1 valve shim in How To and the MK-3 also there.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks onewizard & Invader!
I felt like it was right, but I just had trouble convincing myself. So when I got home from work today I pulled the cam caps back off rechecked everything and if I moved the exhaust cam one cog further in either direction it was too much.
I feel like I read every thread on doing the valve adjustments ahead of actually doing them, but I still missed things in the more detailed posts, thanks for those reminder links.

Now on to the front fork oil change...
I'm doing every piece of maintenance I can think of right now while the bike is apart. Had an off back in December so while I'm doing repairs, might as well fix/upgrade!
onewizard likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning44 View Post
Now on to the front fork oil change...
I'm doing every piece of maintenance I can think of right now while the bike is apart. Had an off back in December so while I'm doing repairs, might as well fix/upgrade!
What fork oil and weight will you be using? After some reading and looking at this chart http://qemsc.com.au/documents/suspensionoils.pdf it appears that what one mfgr calls 5 wt can really vary.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
What fork oil and weight will you be using? After some reading and looking at this chart http://qemsc.com.au/documents/suspensionoils.pdf it appears that what one mfgr calls 5 wt can really vary.
Ever since I raced FIM Enduros in Ontario and Quebec in the '70s and '80s, I've used ATF in my forks, and BOTH my '08 and '15 have this ATF in them.

The oil I removed was fairly dirty, BTW.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
valve clearance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode