Oil Leve Window Fogged Up - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By invader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Oil Leve Window Fogged Up

I just did my 600 mi oil change on my new Versys 650 and looked to check the oil level and found the window fogged up. Not sure how long it's been like this. Picture attached below. Any one else see have this problem? Haveing trouble reading the level.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0159.jpg (33.6 KB, 35 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 01:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlape View Post
I just did my 600 mi oil change on my new Versys 650 and looked to check the oil level and found the window fogged up. Not sure how long it's been like this. Picture attached below. Any one else see have this problem? Haveing trouble reading the level.
I had the same thing happen in cooler weather. I was assured it is normal and not a problem.

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Vonnegut
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlape View Post
It WILL happen after a "cold-ride" IF the oil doesn't get HOT enough. Solution? Ride a few miles FURTHER...!

The temps here in AZ have been cold enough for that to happen, so I USUALLY just add another couple of miles at the end of a shorter ride.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 04:29 PM

Yes, I remember this was covered in another thread and that it was not a problem. You might try the advanced search function to see if you can find that thread. It might have offered some ideas for taking care of the problem. Not to be too basic, but have you stepped over the bike and tilted it left and right to splash the inside of the little window with some oil? Have you gotten some heat in the engine to see if the fogging evaporates or gets absorbed?

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 06:43 PM

this is normal in cold weather. It is more noticeable after short rides. the reason is cold condensation. the oil has to get up to temp ( warm enough for the fan to kick on)in order to heat the condensation out of the oil. Nothing to worry about. When the weather warms up, take a long spirited ride to get the oil up to evaporation temperature. My Harleys don't have sight glass, but in cold weather and short rides the oil will have a slight milky color. A good, long, hard ride and the oil will look normal again.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 09:37 PM

Garage
It is condensation. A very common problem where short trips are taken in a cold climate.

Is it a problem? Moisture in the crankcase. Certainly it is not a desirable situation. All you need to do is to occasionally take your bike for a good long hot engine run.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 12:54 AM

Unless you install a Thermo-Bob, stock cooling system does not have a proper radiator bypass for efficient warm up in colder weather... Covering part of your radiator will help achieve and maintain normal operating temperature. Oil must reach a temperature of at least 212F (100C) to evaporate any water accumulation at least once during your ride.

Cover up bottom half of your radiator until you're back above 50F ambient temperatures, and let me know how it turns out... It'll also be much better for the engine.
onewizard and Skypilot 69 like this.

Last edited by invader; 02-10-2019 at 01:02 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 02:40 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to RocketyMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Unless you install a Thermo-Bob, stock cooling system does not have a proper radiator bypass for efficient warm up in colder weather... Covering part of your radiator will help achieve and maintain normal operating temperature. Oil must reach a temperature of at least 212F (100C) to evaporate any water accumulation at least once during your ride.

Cover up bottom half of your radiator until you're back above 50F ambient temperatures, and let me know how it turns out... It'll also be much better for the engine.
I can confirm with my bike that has the thermobob 3 installed, this still happens as well. That is even after a 25 mile ride. I'll just have to look forward to my next oil change and warmer weather for this fogging to subside. Probably a little bit too much water in the oil that can't all necessarily be boiled off.

2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
MODS: Thermo-Bob 3, Barkbusters Storm, Scorpion Slip-on Exhaust, Givi Rear Tire Hugger & Topcase Plate M7, T-Rex Racing: Engine Guard Crash Cages; Skid Plate; Front Axle Sliders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode