Headlights won't come on? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By jpd
  • 2 Post By Randyjaco
  • 2 Post By Skypilot 69
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Randyjaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Friendswood, TX
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Headlights won't come on?

Somewhere I screwed up during the processes of installing the 868 regulator and installing the automatic turn signal cancelling, I screwed up my headlights. The city lights work fine, but the high and low beams won't light up. The bulbs are good as is the fuse. Taillights and signals work. The bike runs better than it ever did. I now have the tank and Tupperware off , wiring diagram out and trying to trace down the problem. I have rechecked all the wires and connectors I fooled with . I can't find anything wrong. The only thing that comes to mind now is some relay? Can someone have a trouble-shooting path I might try. I have multiple VOMs, probes, etc, but just not the electrical savy to figure it out on my own.

Thanks
Randy

The bike is a 2008 and the headlights are stock.

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias

Last edited by Randyjaco; 02-08-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Randyjaco is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,680
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Randy - when I "did" my '08, I followed 'onewizards' suggestion to use the brake-lights as the headlight 'trigger', so MY headlights do NOT come ON until after I put the brakes ON. Maybe try THAT....

IF that is what you have, you'll have another unexpected 'bonus' - IF you are ever needing some extra volts for whatever reason - you can then turn your lights OFF by (at idle) pushing the starter button, and they will stay OFF till you select either brake again.


Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Randyjaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Friendswood, TX
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks, Fast Eddie for the tip. I tried it, but still no headlights B-(

Randy

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
Randyjaco is online now  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,075
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyjaco View Post
Somewhere I screwed up during the processes of installing the 868 regulator and installing the automatic turn signal cancelling, I screwed up my headlights. The city lights work fine, but the high and low beams won't light up. The bulbs are good as is the fuse. Taillights and signals work. The bike runs better than it ever did. I now have the tank and Tupperware off , wiring diagram out and trying to trace down the problem. I have rechecked all the wires and connectors I fooled with . I can't find anything wrong. The only thing that comes to mind now is some relay? Can someone have a trouble-shooting path I might try. I have multiple VOMs, probes, etc, but just not the electrical savy to figure it out on my own.

Thanks
Randy

The bike is a 2008 and the headlights are stock.
It would be helpful if you posted what trigger method you chose, you mention a Red/ Blue wire, it is actually a Blue with Red Tracer which is the brake trigger wire which I no longer recommend unless you have something like the Denali lights wired to come on when keying on. The wire that gets cut is the Black pin #2 headlight relay wire, about 1 inch from the socket, the part that goes to the harness gets electrical tape. That black wire, the 1 inch length, is now recommended to solder to pin #3 of the headlight relay, that wire is gray


Here is my 2015, although the wire colours are identical for the 2007, note I have the headlight relay black wire attached to a purple which is soldered to the brake wire , note the yellow tape, which is the other end of the headlight relay parasitic drain wire going into the harness, Note the gray wire on the lower right of that socket.




You can read my revised trigger post which is post #2 of this thread

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...5-trigger.html


Blue with Red Tracer / Colour code 101 when viewing any multi coloured wire, the wider band is the main colour the tracer is the the narrow band. The brake wire in this photo is the connector on the right side of the bike near the gas tank rubber mount , as shown in the photo, in the background is the overflow line from the glycol reservoir.I have a small screwdriver inserted behind the Blue / Red wire ***the first colour is always the main and the second is the tracer, on drawings you will see BL/R ( BL=blue) if you see B/R that is black with red tracer

my trigger wire located front right in the harness from the front brake. BL/R

So explain/ list, what you cut and what you soldered.



Last edited by onewizard; 02-09-2019 at 08:17 PM.
onewizard is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Randyjaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Friendswood, TX
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
My trigger wire was (which on close inspection) appears to be red with a blue tracer. I have temporarily disconnected the trigger wire to find my headlight problem. I will connect to the gray when I figure out the headlight. All I can determine that my problem is either in a relay or my ignition switch. I don't know if I caused the problem or it is coincidental with my earlier electrical modifications. Any ideas as to how I can trace down the problem? I now have almost a day invested in what is causing my headlight problem and I am electronically challenged.

The only wires I cut and crimped were the wires going to the Triumph cable set up for the regulator. I used a blue plastic tapping crimper to the red/blue trigger and that black wire you displayed.
For the turn signal device, I tapped into a black/white for power. I cut and crimped the signal wires (gray, orange and green) going to the left handlebar switches.

When I finished the battery was charging [email protected] 14.5 volts and the turn signals worked as advertised.

Randy

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
Randyjaco is online now  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,075
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyjaco View Post
My trigger wire was (which on close inspection) appears to be red with a blue tracer. I have temporarily disconnected the trigger wire to find my headlight problem. I will connect to the gray when I figure out the headlight. All I can determine that my problem is either in a relay or my ignition switch. I don't know if I caused the problem or it is coincidental with my earlier electrical modifications. Any ideas as to how I can trace down the problem? I now have almost a day invested in what is causing my headlight problem and I am electronically challenged.

The only wires I cut and crimped were the wires going to the Triumph cable set up for the regulator. I used a blue plastic tapping crimper to the red/blue trigger and that black wire you displayed.
For the turn signal device, I tapped into a black/white for power. I cut and crimped the signal wires (gray, orange and green) going to the left handlebar switches.

When I finished the battery was charging [email protected] 14.5 volts and the turn signals worked as advertised.

Randy
Note ; I added a second photo in the previous post.

Quick test, the wire attached to pin #2 of the headlight relay ( black wire) , key on the bike, no need to start it, the wire you attached to the black pin #2, where is it? Temporarily touch the positive terminal to the pin #2 wire, the headlight should come on and stay on, until you start the bike.

You keep mentioning a Red/ Blue as in Red wire with blue tracer, I have no idea where you got this wire but it is not the brake light. Two locations, the first is as shown in previuos post the second is about 4 inches from the tail light, which is why I used the front socket. That same socket with pin #2 has a gray wire, only 6 pin socket on the bike in that location.

Electrically I have been able to replace the headlight relay with the $4 40 amp after market, as the headlight relay tends to fail early, I doubt the relay is your problem.

Last edited by onewizard; 02-09-2019 at 08:33 PM.
onewizard is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:38 AM
jpd
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Gloucester, VA. & Manassas VA.
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Here is pic of my headlight trigger. It is at the headlight relay. The headlight comes on with the key. you can test it with the tank still removed.
Black wire cut and harness side taped and secured back to the harness. Relay side posi-taped to the grey wire from the same connector. You can use your preferred method to connect the black wire to the grey.



With this method there is no need to get into the brake switch wires or run another wire.

If I were you I would disconnect your trigger system and restore the wires to the original condition. This should put the headlight back to coming on only after the bike starts and you have output from the stator. It will also mean that there will be a slight battery drain with the bike off. You can leave the new regulator in place and wired up you are only working with the headlight trigger.

Then go back and chose only 1 of the methods to trigger the head light and read and understand it. Do not mix up parts of one method with parts of another. Onewizard has been doing this mod for many years and has posted ALL of his different ways and different regulators he has used. Sometimes just a little hard for a novice to understand it all. READ CAREFULLY IT IS ALL THERE. I can see he is trying to help you and I know he will but even I am not sure what method you used to trigger your headlight system.
onewizard likes this.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jpd is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Randyjaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Friendswood, TX
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
OK, I did do the test presenting battery power to the pin #2. The lights did not come on, but I was able to hear the relay click. So I am guessing that the relay is OK and my problem now is either a broken wire or is in my ignition switch. I will hit the manual and figure out how to remove that assembly.
As for the red/blue or blue/red question, possibly I am at the wrong connector. But the wire is definitely a red/blue. The red band is .079" wide and the blue is .048" wide. I never considered that Kawasaki would use both color combos on the same bike. I will look for that other 6 pin socket.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ictureid=28367

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ictureid=28369

Thanks again guys for the help, just bear with me, I am frustrated as hell.

Randy

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
Randyjaco is online now  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,075
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Pay attention

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...t+relay+wiring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyjaco View Post
OK, I did do the test presenting battery power to the pin #2. The lights did not come on, but I was able to hear the relay click. So I am guessing that the relay is OK and my problem now is either a broken wire or is in my ignition switch. I will hit the manual and figure out how to remove that assembly.
As for the red/blue or blue/red question, possibly I am at the wrong connector. But the wire is definitely a red/blue. The red band is .079" wide and the blue is .048" wide. I never considered that Kawasaki would use both color combos on the same bike. I will look for that other 6 pin socket.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ictureid=28367

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ictureid=28369

Thanks again guys for the help, just bear with me, I am frustrated as hell.

Randy
Just go slow here Randy, you heard the clicking, I assume the instant you took the positive away and tried a second time you heard a second click?? If so, that means you have no power to the headlight relay, , if you had power to the relay, it would latch on, i.e. stay on until you keyed off or started the bike. Make sure the socket is fully inserted into the relay box, I use a good electrical grease and give a light coating to the sealing components/ rubber O rings, makes going together and taking apart much easier, it also forms a added water seal.


https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...t+relay+wiring
Go to post #6 and #7, number 7 is a electrical wiring drawing and pin #3 gray wire cct# 5 on the 2015 is a 10 amp fused headlight circuit, easy to test, pull the socket and check if you have 12 volts ( key in run position)on pin #3 gray wire, you may need a magnifying glass as the numbers are small but it is the only 6 pin socket on the relay box and the only gray wire on that socket. Also, my earlier post about 6 pin was not in reference to the brake wire.

Last edited by onewizard; 02-10-2019 at 05:49 PM.
onewizard is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:02 AM
jpd
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Gloucester, VA. & Manassas VA.
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Randy it looks to me that you are using the front brake as the trigger for your headlight. If so the connector you splice into is on the right side of the bike. The photo in the links above look like you are working on the left side of the bike. ref view of front fork and tank mount rubber. I am also guessing the extra splices are for the turn signal mod you did and are located on the left side. In the wiring dia. I have for a gen 2 the front brake wires are Red/Blue power from ign. switch and Blue/ Red output to brake light.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jpd is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,075
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Randy it looks to me that you are using the front brake as the trigger for your headlight. If so the connector you splice into is on the right side of the bike. The photo in the links above look like you are working on the left side of the bike. ref view of front fork and tank mount rubber. I am also guessing the extra splices are for the turn signal mod you did and are located on the left side. In the wiring dia. I have for a gen 2 the front brake wires are Red/Blue power from ign. switch and Blue/ Red output to brake light.
Contacted me last night said it is resolved and his updated post vanished. Looks like he tapped into the gray wire from his photos in the gallery.
onewizard is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Randyjaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Friendswood, TX
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I posted that I solved my light problem, but it seems to have disappeared.
Basically, I found that I had accessed the left handlebar switch connector rather than the right. The right connector is a little more difficult to access. In fact, I had to remove the coolant tank to separate the connector. The left does have a red/blue wire that you don't want to tap. The left has the blue/red. Unless you look closely, they are easy to confuse.
That said, I opted to go with Onewizard's new trigger method. I soldered the black wire to the gray one on the #2 relay plug. This makes for a much cleaner set up.
See: https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ictureid=28371
Now that I have done it. I would recommend that one cut off the black wire much longer. That way you can solder the black wire directly to the gray one, thus having only one joint.
Many thanks to Onewizard and the others that helped out.

Randy
Fastoman and jpd like this.

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias

Last edited by Randyjaco; 02-11-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Randyjaco is online now  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 08:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Columbia,Ms.
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That said, I opted to go with Onewizard's new trigger method. I soldered the black wire to the gray one on the #2 relay plug. This makes for a much cleaner set up.[quote]

If onewizard tells you the moon is made of cheese don't ask questions, just grab a box of crackers.

Glad you got the problem taken care of Randy.
onewizard and Fastoman like this.

Last edited by Skypilot 69; 02-11-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Skypilot 69 is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,680
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
...If onewizard tells you the moon is made of cheese don't ask questions, just grab a box of crackers....


BTW - Glen - I 'spun' and counted the rear rotations yesterday after WD40ing the chain, (w/ the rear rim quite dirty) so I got a BETTER count of the 'spins' - SEVEN full rotations.

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blown headlights ZaethDekar Technical Discussion - V-650 28 08-03-2015 03:25 PM
Gas tank completely removed - no headlights? tenover Technical Discussion - V-650 9 08-15-2010 10:01 PM
Can anything be done to the front/headlights? Martin Lindhe Modifications - Cosmetic - V-650 49 06-21-2010 10:29 AM
Headlights Out Harm Technical Discussion - V-650 2 04-19-2010 01:42 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome