• 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 2 Post By quexpress
  • 3 Post By hawkerjet
  • 4 Post By Jack of Heats JoH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

What's the secret to removing the valve cover

I am doing a valve clearance check and have removed everything except the valve cover. I can't seem to find the right position to get it out. What is the best way?

Never mind. I didn't have the throttle cables loose enough.

Last edited by Dave31410; 02-05-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Dave - because the remove/install process for the 'valve-cover' is a bit tight, be vigilant when you reinstall it that the gasket ("O-ring" type) is STILL in its channel.

Jack of Heats JoH likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Remove TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave31410 View Post
I am doing a valve clearance check and have removed everything except the valve cover. I can't seem to find the right position to get it out. What is the best way?

Never mind. I didn't have the throttle cables loose enough.
Because your 2009 has more room, it isn't as difficult as the 2015, however knowing what I know now, after owning a 2007 and now a 2015, removing the throttle bodies takes about 2 minutes more and makes work on the valve shim so much easier.
quexpress likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 08:22 AM

Be sure to clean the gasket and channel and use gasket seal when reinstalling the valve cover. I didnít do that when I reinstalled the cover and ended up with an oil leak in the half moon area of the gasket.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
Be sure to clean the gasket and channel and use gasket seal when reinstalling the valve cover. I didnít do that when I reinstalled the cover and ended up with an oil leak in the half moon area of the gasket.
You only need a bit of RTV just around the half moon area cuz if it's gonna leak it will be here.

Covering the entire gasket is not necessary and will make it difficult to get the cover next time. Not to mention the mess it will make.

Also make sure the clutch cable is completely out of the way as you will need space on that side to get the cam cover out.

Good luck.
onewizard likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
You only need a bit of RTV just around the half moon area cuz if it's gonna leak it will be here.

Covering the entire gasket is not necessary and will make it difficult to get the cover next time. Not to mention the mess it will make.

Also make sure the clutch cable is completely out of the way as you will need space on that side to get the cam cover out.

Good luck.
Thanks for posting, this forum is something like a club, the club is only as good as the members belonging to it, each day some of the posts put a smile on my face, as many members go to the trouble of giving detail possibly left out by a previous poster. As I am sure many realize, I am generally on each day, sometimes 2 or 3 times if PM are sent to me for help. I had considered adding what you just stated, but like I said, time is precious. When I have a bit extra time, I try and add more posts/ threads to the How To Forum.

for posting
hawkerjet likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

What's the secret to removing the valve cover?

"What's the secret to removing the valve cover?"

You NEED a really BIG hammer!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 04:47 PM

Hawkerjet,

I sealed the entire gasket! Did make a bit of a mess to clean up too, well at least the leak is gone. 13k miles until the next inspection, hope I donít have to wrestle with the valve cover too much to get it off.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
"What's the secret to removing the valve cover?"

You NEED a really BIG hammer!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Hawkerjet,

I sealed the entire gasket! Did make a bit of a mess to clean up too, well at least the leak is gone. 13k miles until the next inspection, hope I don’t have to wrestle with the valve cover too much to get it off.
That depends on what you sealed it with. Regardless it will be more difficult to remove.

You will probable have to pry the cover up at one of the corners to break it loose. Once off the biggest hassle is usually cleaning off all the residual silicone before re-assembly.

The other issue of far greater importance is if you really slobbered it on and some breaks loose and circulates in the oil thru the engine it could lodge in an oil galley cutting off the oil flow to a critical area. This could result in premature engine failure.

Anytime you use sealer use it very sparingly to avoid this issue.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 07:46 AM

Hawkerjet

I donít think I applied so much as to cause and issue other than getting the cover off with more difficulty than normal. Being an occasional weekend mechanic I do a lot of on the job training, with this forum as my instructor. Lesson learned for the future.

Thank you
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...Being an occasional weekend mechanic I do a lot of on the job training, with this forum as my instructor....
-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Okay, next question: I have been out of town for a few days, while waiting for new gaskets. What is the best way to keep the valve cover gasket in place while maneuvering the cover into place?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave31410 View Post
Okay, next question: I have been out of town for a few days, while waiting for new gaskets. What is the best way to keep the valve cover gasket in place while maneuvering the cover into place?
A VERY SMALL bit of silicone-seal in a few places to hold the gasket, then be GENTLE w/ it as you install.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode