The throttle is not locked - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The throttle is not locked

Yesterday I accidentally noticed that the throttle is not lock forward. When I spin it forward, it moves a little and the engine seems to shut down, basically the idle speed became low and the bike is near to turn off. Here is a video. Is it normal? One colleague of mine said to me that its versys doesn't do that
https://streamable.com/bduzx

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
No, that is not normal. Something is loose or broken in the switch housing on that side, from the look of it.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:16 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to RocketyMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
Yesterday I accidentally noticed that the throttle is not lock forward. When I spin it forward, it moves a little and the engine seems to shut down, basically the idle speed became low and the bike is near to turn off. Here is a video. Is it normal? One colleague of mine said to me that its versys doesn't do that
https://streamable.com/bduzx

I think it's a DOT mandated dual throttle cables for a safety aspect on motorcycles. When you are twisting it forward, you should be actually pulling the throttle body closed.

Take a look at your throttle cable's articulation at the exterior of the intake butterfly valve. When the throttle is relaxed, the throttle valve should be resting on the stop screw(this is how you can manually adjust the engine hot-idle speed). When you twist your throttle all the way forward (in decel mode), there should be tension on the throttle return-cable and the accel-cable should be completely slacked.

I think there might be a service procedure of this in the service manual.

Lemme know what you find.
ryu10 likes this.

2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
MODS: Thermo-Bob 3, Barkbusters Storm, Scorpion Slip-on Exhaust, Givi Rear Tire Hugger & Topcase Plate M7, T-Rex Racing: Engine Guard Crash Cages; Skid Plate; Front Axle Sliders

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:22 PM

Garage
Here is a page out of the service manual. The second picture down is where I am talking about on the throttle body.

I personally think 1350 rpm is rather high. Mine is set to 1100 when hot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg throttle adjust.jpg (57.2 KB, 30 views)

2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
MODS: Thermo-Bob 3, Barkbusters Storm, Scorpion Slip-on Exhaust, Givi Rear Tire Hugger & Topcase Plate M7, T-Rex Racing: Engine Guard Crash Cages; Skid Plate; Front Axle Sliders
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketyMan View Post
...I personally think 1350 rpm is rather high. Mine is set to 1100 when hot.
The 1350 rpm requirement is for the stator/ regulator to not deplete your battery.
Lours_Polaire and quexpress like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
The 1350 rpm requirement is for the stator/ regulator to not deplete your battery.
Ohhh...gotcha. Yeah that seems to make sense. I've always noticed that when I coast to a stop with my brights on, they seem to dim.

I've always tried to alleviate this with installing LED in the marker lights an license plate light.
Fastoman likes this.

2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
No, that is not normal. Something is loose or broken in the switch housing on that side, from the look of it.
Oops... I didn't notice the heated grips. Thought I saw something else there. My bad.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I think it's a DOT mandated dual throttle cables for a safety aspect on motorcycles. When you are twisting it forward, you should be actually pulling the throttle body closed.

Take a look at your throttle cable's articulation at the exterior of the intake butterfly valve. When the throttle is relaxed, the throttle valve should be resting on the stop screw(this is how you can manually adjust the engine hot-idle speed). When you twist your throttle all the way forward (in decel mode), there should be tension on the throttle return-cable and the accel-cable should be completely slacked.

I think there might be a service procedure of this in the service manual.

Lemme know what you find.
Quote:
Here is a page out of the service manual. The second picture down is where I am talking about on the throttle body.

I already looked the cable and it seems fine. Besides, the throttle open and close correctly. It moves forward only if I apply some pressure on it, but in any case the throttle should be lock in the neutral (all close) position without moving forward, even if a little bit. In the meantime I recorded another video: https://streamable.com/8kugu
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
Oops... I didn't notice the heated grips. Thought I saw something else there. My bad.
Yes, I have the oxford touring heated grips. I don't know if this is important to know.

post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:

According to the manual 1250 to 1350, I have my idle at 1350 to 1375 RPM at 187'F engine water temp on bypass sensor. When in doubt, check the owners manual rather than what someone might think.No offence but many people make serious mistakes by not checking factual info.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/95....html?page=119
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Check idle VDC

Quote:

If idle is 1100 RPM, I would suggest checking your idle volts DC, I think you will be shocked to find that you are discharging your battery at idle. That link is page 118 of the owners manual.

post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
can you get video at the throttle body to show us what its doing when you twist it like that?

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Doesn't look normal, provide some picture on your throttle body when your twisting. And on the forward movement, you may sometimes kill the engine which i have experienced and its normal.
RocketyMan likes this.
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 10:56 PM
jpd

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
It may be normal, if the throttle body is hitting it's stops.

Any cable control will have more travel at the input end than at the output end. Check that the grip will turn just a little bit more after the throttle body contacts it's stops on both directions. If you have too much over travel in the idle direction, you may be flexing the stop or body when you twist the grip hard to the idle position. (Result is the change in RPM) You may have to adjust both of the cables to move the excess free play to the full throttle side.

Be careful, move it too far and you will not go to idle, cables too tight might not go to idle with just letting go of the grip, too loose and throttle inputs will be hard to control.

Or you can leave it like it is and not try to turn it past where the throttle body hits it's idle stop. (This is what I would do )

Jeff

post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
can you get video at the throttle body to show us what its doing when you twist it like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Doesn't look normal, provide some picture on your throttle body when your twisting. And on the forward movement, you may sometimes kill the engine which i have experienced and its normal.
Sure, here it is https://streamable.com/h06f8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
It may be normal, if the throttle body is hitting it's stops.

Any cable control will have more travel at the input end than at the output end. Check that the grip will turn just a little bit more after the throttle body contacts it's stops on both directions. If you have too much over travel in the idle direction, you may be flexing the stop or body when you twist the grip hard to the idle position. (Result is the change in RPM) You may have to adjust both of the cables to move the excess free play to the full throttle side.

Be careful, move it too far and you will not go to idle, cables too tight might not go to idle with just letting go of the grip, too loose and throttle inputs will be hard to control.

Or you can leave it like it is and not try to turn it past where the throttle body hits it's idle stop. (This is what I would do )
The normal movement seems fine. The throttle return to its stop position normally and I don't have any rpm changes when I move the handlebar

post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:36 AM
jpd

Garage
If you hit the wide open stop also just leave it alone. You should never have to turn the throttle past where it hits the idle stop. I don't know why you tried to in the first place.
Duffy likes this.

Jeff

post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you hit the wide open stop also just leave it alone. You should never have to turn the throttle past where it hits the idle stop. I don't know why you tried to in the first place.
Because I was clean the throttle and I moved it forward accidentally. Anyway, I want to understand why it do that and how can I fix it. Is it just the gas cable to be tightened?

post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 04:49 PM
jpd

Garage
There's nothing to fix. It is working correctly.

Jeff

post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 11:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
If idle is 1100 RPM, I would suggest checking your idle volts DC, I think you will be shocked to find that you are discharging your battery at idle. That link is page 118 of the owners manual.

Yeah...I understand that below the 1300 rpms will potentially discharge the battery. Most of the time I have the engine on I'm cruising with engine speed well above 1300 rpms. But if I am excessively idling for a test of some sort--that could be quite a drain on the battery potentially.

2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 11:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
@ryu10 I'd be curious to see exactly this and what the throttle is doing when you are moving the grip like in your last video...To my understanding, the throttle should be resting on the stop when the engine is hot. It's a different story when the bike is cold and it auto elevates the engine speed due to the cam.

2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
There's nothing to fix. It is working correctly.
Quote:
@ryu10 I'd be curious to see exactly this and what the throttle is doing when you are moving the grip like in your last video...To my understanding, the throttle should be resting on the stop when the engine is hot. It's a different story when the bike is cold and it auto elevates the engine speed due to the cam.
Look, it doesn't seems normal to me.
https://streamable.com/hojn2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode