• 1 Post By 17A
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
17A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2018 650 SE Maintenance @ 14000 Kms

Hi Guys.

We're in the depths of winter here in eastern ontario. Bike been stored since late October. For storage I washed and waxed the bike. Changed the oil and Filter. Adjusted, Cleaned and lubed chain. Removed battery and it is trickle charged indoors throughout winter. Sprayed or wiped anti-rust on everything that would require it. Bike is in my unheated garage with cardboard under the tires.

As stated in the title, my bike now has approx 14000 kms. I swapped the tired @ 8400 kms for Dunlop Roadsmart III's. Just wondering about a couple of things.

Manual says I have to change spark plugs and adj valves @ 12000 kms. Are most people following those intervals or waiting a bit longer?

How many kms / Miles should I expect out of brake pads?

Thanx.

Fastoman likes this.

2018 Versys 650 SE

Last edited by 17A; 01-06-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
2015 650 abs

I did my valve shim check at 11,000 KM and found tight valves, the service interval was 24,000 KM originally. Doing the valve shim, requires pulling the stick coils , at that time you should lube them with a non conductive grease, I explain this in my post in How To.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 12:39 PM

I asked the Kawi service shop why the 2015 650 service manual says 24000K for valve clearance check and adjust here in N.America and 42000K for everywhere else, couldnt get a proper answer and I asked more than one. I found that interesting, different fuel standards maybe. Also asked my trusted local all-brand motorcycle shop and they thought 24000K was overkill. VStrom 650 for instance was 50000K. If you ride like a track racer and making that motor scream all the time then they need adjusting more frequently. And modern plugs should last more than 12000K! So,I split the diff and got everything done at 36000K,but thats me, my riding style and I did my own research. Cant hurt to do it more,there should be a performance improvement. Expensive job getting valves shimmed if youre paying a shop to do it! Alot of guys here do their own valve-shimming,Im warming up to trying it next time...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17A View Post
...Manual says I have to change spark plugs and adj valves @ 12000 kms. Are most people following those intervals or waiting a bit longer?....
As onewizard said - PDG idea to check your valves,AND open them up to the MAX end of the specs while doing so (as they will take a long time to "tighten-up" ONCE at max clearance), and to replace your spark-plugs, EVEN THO' THEY WILL LOOK LIKE NEW WHEN YOU REMOVE THEM!

I have a car that uses VERY similar plugs. My wife complained that the car would "kick-OFF" from cruise control on some steep hills near Kelowna, so I bought a new set, removed the OLD ones and compared old vs new. They looked pretty much IDENTICAL, but after the change the car had WAY more power, and would now hold constant speed up hills in "cruise", so I NOW follow "Ma Kawi's" recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17A View Post
...How many kms / Miles should I expect out of brake pads?....
My Gen 1 ('08) w/ 82K miles on it, is STILL on the OEM rear pads, but I changed the fronts [AND the discs] at 59,573 miles.

OTOH - my Gen 3 ('15V650) w/ 63,914 kms is still on the OEM front pads, altho' when I needed to replace a rear tire in Anchorage in '16 they told me that my rear pads were "toast", and replaced them. I'm STILL not convinced that they were worn-out - I use the rear brakes on the '08 the same fashion as I use them on the '15, so MAYBE I was "done" by that dealer....

AGAIN!
jaaklucas likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
17A

Thanx for the replies everyone.

I will have the valves checked and plugs changed this spring.

2018 Versys 650 SE
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:54 PM

Garage
I always use Mobile 1 in my 1200 beemer and unless someone gives me a good reason, I would use it in the Versys 650, as well. I would think Valve adj. interval a 24000 is a little too soon...

@[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="6"]:goodidea:[QUOTE][B][I][CENTER][CODE][HTML][PHP][YT][YTHQ][YTHD][EBAY][MAP][/MAP][/EBAY][/YTHD][/YTHQ][/YT][/PHP][/HTML][/CODE][/CENTER][/I][/B][/QUOTE][/SIZE][/FONT];

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Did I miss it?? Did anybody recommend fuel stabilizer during the storage??? I did the search and found this thread the closest to what he is doing. Seems like one of the simplest and cheap things to do before storage. Some brand names are mentioned here.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...eployment.html

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Fuel Stabilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Did I miss it?? Did anybody recommend fuel stabilizer during the storage??? I did the search and found this thread the closest to what he is doing. Seems like one of the simplest and cheap things to do before storage. Some brand names are mentioned here.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...eployment.html
I use Sta Bil , in the fall I take the car and fill 2 25 liter gas cans and put sta bil in each, this does my snowblowers and lawnmower, and my motorcycle. Some times I end up getting a break in the winter and go for a ride, I end up going through a tank of gas, I try and get home on the most minimum of fuel, baring that I fill my tank full and once home guess at the fuel amount in the tank, add sta bil then go for a short ride.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by husky310 View Post
I always use Mobile 1 in my 1200 beemer and unless someone gives me a good reason, I would use it in the Versys 650, as well. I would think Valve adj. interval a 24000 is a little too soon...
YES on the M1 (MOST of us use 15w-50 M1); and DEFINITELY check your valves PRIOR to that mileage - MOST of us have had 'tight' valves when we checked them early - but IF you set them to the MAX clearance you'll be OK for longer after that....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode