• 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By SouthernCruizer
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By invader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Drive train enlightenment

Howdy V-650ers,
I recently bought a 2012 & noticed it has a pull to the left @ speed, when releasing the grips on a flat road. I tried adjusting the rear axle to compensate but it still wants to go left. Also noticed @ speed in a hard, very rough (bumpy) corner, it feels like a split second twist in the drive train where the wheels aren't in alignment. I'm not sure if the axle compensation caused this.
Maybe I should keep the axle straight in the swing arm??? The pull to the left doesn't seem to effect the ride but may prematurely wear tires???
There isn't any signs of any past accidents, the front tubes appear straight, haven't had them out yet but they slide uniformly & smoothly through the trees.
I was thinking there might be a way to align the drive train but it appears the swing arm/engine pivot point is non-negotiable.

Any suggestions or education would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 11:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by r136dg View Post
Howdy V-650ers,
I recently bought a 2012 & noticed it has a pull to the left @ speed, when releasing the grips on a flat road. I tried adjusting the rear axle to compensate but it still wants to go left. Also noticed @ speed in a hard, very rough (bumpy) corner, it feels like a split second twist in the drive train where the wheels aren't in alignment. I'm not sure if the axle compensation caused this.
Maybe I should keep the axle straight in the swing arm??? The pull to the left doesn't seem to effect the ride but may prematurely wear tires???
There isn't any signs of any past accidents, the front tubes appear straight, haven't had them out yet but they slide uniformly & smoothly through the trees.
I was thinking there might be a way to align the drive train but it appears the swing arm/engine pivot point is non-negotiable.

Any suggestions or education would be appreciated!
Hi, based on my experience misaligning the rear axle/wheel will surely wear the sprockets and chain quickly. Perhaps a worn tire or bad pressure's? Suggest you go over the basics first such as tires health, assure the front wheel is relaxed in its axle clamps (not sure how exactly but a combo of safety and floating the front wheel while resetting the fork clamps and axle) and the heights are even on the tubes. Check for any play in the triple tree and steering bearings. Just sort of get the wheels off the ground safely and give them a spin and a tug in all directions, centerstand for the rear and someone can sit on the bike to get the front up.
The manual should cover how to assure the tubes are relaxed so don't take my word on that unless you research a little please. It can go bad without some extra precautions to stabilize the bike properly while it's floating on the other wheel..
I wonder if one disc was dragging would it cause this not sure.
Good luck with it and someone else will chime in, info on tire health would be a good piece of info.
r136dg likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Brian! The trees seem to be right where they should be, not to tight or loose. Wheels & tires (psi per manual) look good to the naked eye when spinning them & no play in the wheels. Doesn't mean I shouldn't check the bearings though & you brought to my attention looking at the tires better. The guy I bought from put new tires (Michelin Radials) on it, then it sat on the kick stand for 2-3 years.
I will check sprocket alignment (another good point) & it also occurred to me that oil levels in the fork tubes should be checked.
Also, fork tube heights are right on & calipers on both sides release nice & smooth.

Last edited by r136dg; 01-04-2019 at 04:35 AM. Reason: additional comment

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 11:59 AM

Garage
On my 09 V-650 the alignment marks on the swing arm were off some. So i got a Motion Pro Chain alignment Tool. Took care of the problem for me...

P1020246 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1020245 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Turk and r136dg like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Nucci View Post
...assure the front wheel is relaxed in its axle clamps (not sure how exactly but a combo of safety and floating the front wheel while resetting the fork clamps and axle) and the heights are even on the tubes....
To do this, AFTER you torque the front axle nut [w/ the "front axle pinch-bolt" at the bottom of your right fork-leg LOOSE,] then get your bike to where you can SAFELY move it forward.

Run it forward (by hand), and JAM the front brakes on HARD. Do this a few times (it ensures that the forks are aligned), then TORQUE the "front axle pinch-bolt" to the appropriate setting. [On my Gen 1 V650 that is 15'/#.]
onewizard, quexpress and r136dg like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 12:54 PM

my 650 also pulls to the left. This even after a tire change and drive train line-up with my Motion Pro tool. My 1000 tracks straight and true, like most every other bike I've ever owned (dozens)
Don't know why the 650 pulls, but I just kinda ignore it.
r136dg likes this.

Jay™
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

I had similar experience till i replaced the front tire- The tire was good but once i replaced it , the pull to left disappeared.( Maybe reject tire).

Maybe you can try with a used tire at your tire dealers place and see of its the tire that,s causing the pull.

Please note that as far as I can remember over the years in the forum , I had not seen members complaint on Front Tire Pull to Left.
r136dg likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 03:31 AM

Mine also pulled, but only until rear axle was properly aligned using a straight edge on rear sprocket... Alignment marks difference needs to be 1/2 the distance between two marks off to be aligned as it should on my 2007.
r136dg likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all, advice appreciated! As expected my alignment marks were off also. Front axle's done as instructed too. I'll get to that tire, check those bearings & fork oil in the near future.
Thanks again!

Last edited by r136dg; 01-05-2019 at 09:01 AM. Reason: delete fork oil question-did a search here & fully enlightened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode