5Likes
  • 1 Post By Buffalo_Bob
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Pet Peeve - Is there a fix?

So I'm still fairly new to the Versys and most everything is great but the low fuel warning. It comes on with 1.5 gallons left and it disables the DTE (Distance to Empty) reading. That's well over 100mi remaining on the tank. It's exactly when you need DTE when you're getting low on fuel! It's really quite useless and I still end up driving by my trip meter. So now that my rant is over, is there a way to adjust the warning? For my current riding, 3/4 or 1/2 gallon warning would be perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 11:32 AM

I get about 45 miles to the gallon on my 2011 V so 1.5 gallons would be roughly 60 miles. Sounds about right especially if you are in the middle of nowhere. I believe newer Vs get higher milage.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Yeah my math is a bit off, just chalk it up to common core... I think I looked at DTE that morning before my commute and that's what stuck. Doing some critical thinking after a cup o' joe it's about 55mi for me. However turning off DTE, to my thinking, is not very bright.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 12:09 PM

The inaccurate gas gauge thing is certainly annoying, especially since you get the low fuel warning. I've had 4 bikes with fuel gauges and all of them have been flaky and inaccurate. Don't know of a fix.

I guess it's still better than the old school way where the bike stated to sputter and you manually flipped the petcock over to reserve! ;(
Sturmeyhack likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 12:24 PM

Not to be rude, but why not just keep the tank fuller? I don't let my car or motorcycle get below half if I can help it. Partly it is to reduce condensation in the tank, but mostly just to reduce stress of possibly running out. It also is protection against the unlikely Zombie Apocalypse or snow storm/power outage which Murphy would assure happens when the fuel level is at its lowest point.

At half a tank I start looking for gas at the next convenient time, so yes the fuel level gets down to 1/3rd or even 1/4 occasionally, but around the suburbs I am usually not much below half before refilling. Longer trips are the exception, where I plan fuel stops within tank and bladder range and may get down to 1/4 tank if necessary.

Out in this part of the country you can find yourself 100+ miles from the nearest fuel, so I've learned to just be conservative about it. When I'm going into remote areas I carry a spare gallon in a little plastic can that fits into the factory side case. My base estimate is 50 mpg, though I'll do a secondary calculation at 40mpg to ensure adequate reserves for each segment between fuel stops.
quexpress likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
...It's exactly when you need DTE when you're getting low on fuel! It's really quite useless and I still end up driving by my trip meter. So now that my rant is over, is there a way to adjust the warning? For my current riding, 3/4 or 1/2 gallon warning would be perfect.
Shortly after I got my '15 V650 I decided to see what its range was, so I got a gas-can w/ a gallon in it, selected DTE, and went on a ride. I was planning to ride it till it "spluttered" REALLY STUPID THING TO DO ON A FUEL-INJECTED MACHINE - RUNNING IT EMPTY!!! then put the extra gas in, ZERO my odo, then ride to a gas station, figuring what my ACTUAL range was.

The DTE got to 50kms, then went to zero, and I zeroed the odo, watching to see how far I could go. FINALLY at 80kms (as I remember), still not spluttering, I filled it up - I generally get around 60+ mpgImp - 48+mpgUS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
...I guess it's still better than the old school way where the bike stated to sputter and you manually flipped the petcock over to reserve! ;(
When I had a KLR (which had about 15 to 20 miles on 'reserve'), as I rode WAY FURTHER than that from gas stations in western Alberta, I modded the fuel-selector so that I had a range of OVER 100 miles when selected on reserve. Wrote it up on the KLR site, and one member answered that what I'd done was "stupid" as it didn't add any range.

I NEVER had to walk when running low, or out, so you 'pays yer money and takes yer chances...'.

quexpress likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 09:00 AM
jpd

Garage
It must be a trend my Prius goes to zero range to empty when the low fuel light comes on. You are right this is when you need it the most. When I just filled up and can go 200 miles who cares, my bladder will not go that far in most cases. When you are running around town making many short trips over several days that is when you need to know how far you can go. Running 30 mi round trip should I get gas on the way out or on the way home? When you are on a long ride and don't know where the local gas stops are it makes sense to fill up when at 1/4 to 1/2 but not if you only run around home.

I do not know of any way to change when the low fuel light comes on. I have heard of resetting the second trip meter when it does so you know how far you have gone with the light on, or just stop at the next gas station.

Jeff

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 09:28 AM

Garage
Went for a ride the other day and the fuel light was flashing at 170 miles. Stopped and filled up, it took 3.5 gal. I still like petcocks, you always know it's time to start looking for gas.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Fuel Pump Cooling

The biggest problem is in the title, you run low or empty, a good chance your fuel pump packs it in, since the days of carburetors, yes the petcock worked, however I remember pushing my Honda about a kilometer as I switched while riding with a buddy then thought I could make it to the downtown gas, I had passed a gas station 3 miles back , but would have needed to turn off the main road. Like my Dad use to say, if you don't have it upstairs you will need to have it downstairs, nothing like having to push the bike to make a point.
Yes I notice that I have traveled over 100 KM with the low fuel flashing, I note my KM reading when it starts flashing, depending on if I am heading home determines when I fuel up, my GPS gives me distance to home, if equal to or less than, I don't fuel up until home. If I am riding, most of my rides are over 250 KM to 900 KM, so heading away from home or over 200 KM from home, I fuel up even at 2 bars if I am approaching a gas station, and in northern Ontario, I fuel up at a half a tank if at a gas station, that way I can forget about where I ride, as sometimes I change my plans and add 150 KM more to my route, knowing that some routes are beyond 150 KM to the next gas.
I also use trip A for setting a count down for distance, Trip B is my chain lube distance, 500 KM .
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 12:22 PM

No,I dont miss those "romantic" days of flipping the petcock.I personally like the way the fuel gage works on my"15 650.Conservative reading at startup and then it settles down.If youre on one bar, time to think about it.No big deal if you only ride city.I was riding the 97C from Kelowna on a perfect day,no traffic cruising @160KMH steady up-hill mostly for a long way. Fuel efficiency icon was blinking not-efficient. The dumb boy realized later that I was burning fuel a hell of a lot quicker and my distance calculations were skewed accordingly. The fuel indicator was really flashing at the end and I drifted down the big hill to Merrit in neutral,not very majestic!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Back in '87 I had bought a '62 Corvette in Alberta, then had to drive it to Ontario where I lived.

I overnighted in Winnipeg, then headed S into Minnesota as a short-cut to Sioux St Marie, and also for the CHEAPER gas there. My gas gauge showed about a quarter tank, then I got onto the interstate, turned my headlights OFF - and the gauge went from 1/4 to EMPTY!!!

I looked at a map, saw a town just E several miles off the next exit, so I turned E, passing a few farms and wondering IF I should pull into one and ask to buy a gallon of gas, then saw the town and pulled into the first gas station I saw. HAPPY to be there, I filled-up, putting 16.1 gallons into a 16 gallon tank.

That was a LUCKY one.

Lours_Polaire and Devilsfan like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
At half a tank I start looking for gas at the next convenient time, so yes the fuel level gets down to 1/3rd or even 1/4 occasionally, but around the suburbs I am usually not much below half before refilling.
LOL! For me it would mean filling up EVERY DAY (80 mile R/T commute). As it is I fill up every other day rather (160 miles) rather than pushing it to empty at 2.5 days (200 miles).

Still, I agree with you - It's a good practice and I shoot for half tank fill-ups in my cars.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

When the bike hits the second bar it time to fill up...never had to push the bike so far..and the light never came off till to-date after 60,000km. Full tank Gen 1 run about 450km highway.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Well after reading some of the responses maybe I need to reassess my part of my gripe but I still believe it's lame to turn off DTE when you're getting low on fuel. I'm with OldandSlow, I'd be at the gas station 2x a week if I never let it go past 1/2 tank
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 05:55 AM

Oh, and forgot to mention. My 2014 doesn't have DTE (or I haven't found it?) so all I've got to go in is the flashing gas pump icon :P
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 08:07 AM
jpd

Garage
The DTE was not part of the package until the gen 3 650. I have a 2013 and fill up when I get to 1 bar around town and sooner if on a long ride. In my mind a flashing indicator is a bad thing and I try to not let it happen. You know when that indicator starts flashing that the only way to get to the next gas station will be up hill and into a 40 MPH headwind or traffic is at a stand still and it takes an hour to go 5 miles. My other bikes all have carbs and a reserve position. I try not to get that low on those also.

Jeff

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldandslow View Post
Oh, and forgot to mention. My 2014 doesn't have DTE (or I haven't found it?) so all I've got to go in is the flashing gas pump icon :P
I made up a small notice (label-maker) of how much gas is left WHEN the lo-fuel warning starts to flash - .9 USgal on my Gen 1, 5.6L on my Gen 3 (IF memory serves...) - and stuck it where I can see it.

The Gen 1 gets about 50 mpgUS, so it'll run out at 45 miles more to EMPTY, while the Gen 3 gets about 60 mpgUS, so about 85 miles.

I'm NOT suggesting running a Versys to empty.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 12-31-2018 at 11:28 AM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 01:16 PM

Garage
My 2009 low fuel starts flashing with about 1/2 gallon left - 20 to 25 miles of range. When I am commuting to work (20 miles one way), I use that as an indicator to stop and fill up

'09 Versys
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 10:48 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to RocketyMan
I'm with @Heywood on the DTE going " - - - " when the last fuel level starts blinking. I don't understand why the ECU can't just calculate this off of the distance traveled and simply COUNT DOWN when riding. Granted, I know it won't be able to track accurately when sitting in traffic, excessive idling, riding too aggressively...but still. It defeats the purpose of having a DTE counter when it'll automatically go INOP after a certain "level" in the fuel tank.

In my opinion, it shouldn't be a "DTE" number, rather a Distance To 50 miles range or distance to 1.5 gallon range. A big misnomer, I would say.

2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
MODS: Thermo-Bob 3, Barkbusters Storm, Scorpion Slip-on Exhaust, Givi Rear Tire Hugger & Topcase Plate M7, T-Rex Racing: Engine Guard Crash Cages; Skid Plate; Front Axle Sliders
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmason View Post
My 2009 low fuel starts flashing with about 1/2 gallon left - 20 to 25 miles of range. When I am commuting to work (20 miles one way), I use that as an indicator to stop and fill up
My OWNER'S MANUAL says (pg 37) it flashes at 3.7L (0.9 US gal) remaining. Just FYI.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode