Speedo problem - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By cjcintucson
  • 2 Post By Dragonfly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Speedo problem

The speedometer on my 2007 Versys (KLE 650) has gone south. Tach still works fine, but speedo is frozen, and "mode" is stuck in "clock" position, meaning I can't see my odometer or trip counters. Ideas/suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 12:14 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
The speedometer on my 2007 Versys (KLE 650) has gone south. Tach still works fine, but speedo is frozen, and "mode" is stuck in "clock" position, meaning I can't see my odometer or trip counters. Ideas/suggestions?
i would check / clean the hall effect sensor by the front sprocket and see if that gets the speedo working again as for the button being stuck that could be bad contacts on the switch its self, and you would have to take the dash apart to get to that

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 01:50 PM

First thing I would do is spray some control cleaner(WD40 works) into the left and right buttons on the dash, push a few times to work it in.That would be a likely place for a stuck contact,exposed to the elements and finger goo. Last spring my bike was garage bound for 3 months and by spring my tach needle was sticky. Turned out I had baby spiders inside,the needle unstuck but I could see the baby spiders scurrying inside the instrument face when I turned the bike on! Eventually one spider survived and grew too big to get out,I had a unlikely passenger for a week,he didnt like the wind. He kinda shriveled up and dissapeared.. Also,if you unplugged the battery,wouldnt that reboot the electronics? usually works on my devices..

Last edited by jaaklucas; 12-12-2018 at 01:52 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 05:32 PM

When I bought my 2011 from a guy, he gave me all the stuff he had for care of the motorcycle. He had some contact spray and some insulin syringes (you can buy them legally in AZ, some states will vary). He said to spray the spray until you get a nice little pool of liquid, then draw it up in the syringe. They have a very fine needle and he said just put that through the rubber around the mode or reset buttons and spray that little bit of liquid in. I did it once some time ago and it worked perfectly.
jaaklucas likes this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Common problem for Gen 1 models.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions. Taking my bike into the shop tomorrow where I'll pass them on.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
It turns there was a problem with a third-party addition to the speedo that would automatically correct for a change in front tire size. Scott at Adrenaline Motorcycle Co-op here in Victoria, B.C., disconnected it, problem solved. "Mode" switch is now working. Thanks again to all who took the time to offer a suggestion.
onewizard and Glenn21 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode