Strange noise from front part of the bike - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Strange noise from front part of the bike

Hello everyone, last week I took my bike to the dealer for the 6.000km check. The bike is a clock, the only strange thing is that every morning when I pass over some manhole, hole, bump etc. there is something that slams and makes a strange noise, even if I'm at 5km/h. As soon as the bike warms up it does not do it anymore. Last summer it did not make this sound l, never. According to your experience, what it could be? Maybe with the cold weather there are some components that make that noise before heating up, for example the suspensions or I do not know what else.
The mechanic checked all the bolts and nuts and they are all tighten up. I'm going crazy about this, I really don't understand what cause that noise.

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
ryu10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 6,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
Hello everyone, last week I took my bike to the dealer for the 6.000km check. The bike is a clock, the only strange thing is that every morning when I pass over some manhole, hole, bump etc. there is something that slams and makes a strange noise, even if I'm at 5km/h. As soon as the bike warms up it does not do it anymore. Last summer it did not make this sound l, never. According to your experience, what it could be? Maybe with the cold weather there are some components that make that noise before heating up, for example the suspensions or I do not know what else.
The mechanic checked all the bolts and nuts and they are all tighten up. I'm going crazy about this, I really don't understand what cause that noise.

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
If the strange noise is after passing through pothole/bumps it points to suspension setting. You must remember that every km you cover there are parts in the bike that will wear off , so don't compare last summer to this summer. One more thing , check your tire pressure if its proper setting. I run front 32PSI & 36PSi back and front suspension is set at the slight soft.

If you don't notice the noise after warm up, i can tell based on your write up it has nothing to do with the engine and the only thing i can think is Chain alignment and slack. Check it also.

Hope it helps....and try and observe more while you ride to understand the bike better. don't go crazy and let your mind rule you. If the bike ride well after warm up , ride it and if there is anything wrong with the bike you sure will know it when you ride it.
Fastoman is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
If the strange noise is after passing through pothole/bumps it points to suspension setting. You must remember that every km you cover there are parts in the bike that will wear off , so don't compare last summer to this summer. One more thing , check your tire pressure if its proper setting. I run front 32PSI & 36PSi back and front suspension is set at the slight soft.

If you don't notice the noise after warm up, i can tell based on your write up it has nothing to do with the engine and the only thing i can think is Chain alignment and slack. Check it also.

Hope it helps....and try and observe more while you ride to understand the bike better. don't go crazy and let your mind rule you. If the bike ride well after warm up , ride it and if there is anything wrong with the bike you sure will know it when you ride it.
Hi Fastoman, thanks a lot for you help and patience.
I checked the tire pressure yesterday and it's right; front suspension is set to medium hardnes: 13 turns to left bolt, and 2 turns to the right bolt.
The chain is ok, the mechanic checked it and regulated it.

You're right when you say that if the bike ride well so I have not to worry about it, but hear this noise every single time that the bike I cold, drive me nuts because I don't know what cause it and what's the problem

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited by ryu10; 12-10-2018 at 04:33 PM.
ryu10 is offline  
 
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
It continues to make that noise, punctual as a swiss clock. I tried to focused on the noise, but I don't understand from where it comes, and what could cause it. Today I left the bike to my official dealer's mechanic for half day and I comes to nowhere. I think that I have to keep my bike with this unknow problem or whatever it is. I'm going crazy!

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
ryu10 is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Why are your fork spring preload not set the same for both left and right?
Because the two forks has different function, one is the preload adjustment and the other one is the Rebound Damping Force Adjustment.
Anyway, I don't think the this is the source of the noise..moreover, it doesn't make the noise anymore when the bike is warmed up

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
ryu10 is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 01:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Both forks have spring preload adjustment. Right fork also has a rebound damping adjustment screw... Both fork spring preload adjustments must be set equally.
Not on the '15 (and up) model. Its a seperate function fork. The right leg has the damping. The left leg ( and only the left leg) has a spring in it. Given that there is no spring in the right leg, preload adjustment is not there.

Edit;
Attachted exploded drawing of front fork kawasaki-kle650fff-versys-650-abs-2015-europe-middle-east-africa-front-fork_big3IMG01215167_a5f3.jpg
ryu10 likes this.

Last edited by Joepi5; 12-11-2018 at 01:56 AM.
Joepi5 is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 11:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hot Springs, SD
Posts: 864
Consider examining the engine exhaust system........it may be "loose" and make noise when cold but tighten up when "hot".
onewizard and jaaklucas like this.
Duffy is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
So, i leaved the bike to the dealer yesterday..again. Today I went to bring it and the mechanic told me that he tried the bike and didn't heard anything wrong and actually it didn't made that noise today when I ride it. This is a mistery, i will keep an eye on it hoping that it will not do that noise ever again.

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
ryu10 is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 11:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 328
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Consider examining the engine exhaust system........it may be "loose" and make noise when cold but tighten up when "hot".
I second this. Noises are hard to locate, especially when you are riding.

'09 Versys
Jmason is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmason View Post
I second this. Noises are hard to locate, especially when you are riding.
The dealer told me that they checked everything and is all ok. I really don't understand how is possible. For now I didn't made that noise anymore, unbelievable. At least, I hope not to hear that bad noise again.

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
ryu10 is offline  
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Today I did some "tests". The noise is almost gone lucky for me, but there is something wrong yet. I paid attention to the type of noise and it happens only when I pass over o hole or bump or step and it seems to be something plastic that slams somewhere, it comes from the front of the bike and I hear it even at very low speed (under 15km/h too). Yesterday the mechanic checked all the bike (he said..) and I checked too today but I don't understand what can cause the noise in that situation. Any ideas?

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
ryu10 is offline  
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 02:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 321
Check to ensure the fender fasteners are tight and make sure the brake lines are properly secured in their clips so they don’t slap the fender when going over bumps.

I wear ear plugs to help save what is left of my hearing and they do a good job of blocking out a-lot of the quirky noises the V makes. The dash on the 2011 V rattles like heck, but that does not affect the bikes performance just another quirk for-that model year.
Jack of Heats JoH is offline  
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
Check to ensure the fender fasteners are tight and make sure the brake lines are properly secured in their clips so they donít slap the fender when going over bumps.

I wear ear plugs to help save what is left of my hearing and they do a good job of blocking out a-lot of the quirky noises the V makes. The dash on the 2011 V rattles like heck, but that does not affect the bikes performance just another quirk for-that model year.
I already checked those things, they are ok. I'm really losing my mind about this because I don't understand from where this noise come.
You're right about ear plugs, but they doesn't solve the problem if there is one

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
ryu10 is offline  
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Today I did the first service and I asked again to the dealer to check the bike carefully since it makes that noise as usual. He said that I checked all bolts and other things and that it's all normal so he didn't gave to me any explanation about that noise. I'm not crazy, I hear it.
I don't trust this dealer since he did a mess to mount my heated grips and they are not professions and skilled at all. I'm tired to spin around to understand what cause that noise. I tried everything, i have no idea anymore. I give up and I will cohabit with this noise even if against my will

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
ryu10 is offline  
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
After few days i got tired and I will keep the bike in this way since it always makes that noise and I didn't found a solution.
That's it.

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
ryu10 is offline  
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
After two months from the purchase, 1.500km and two trips to the dealer, the noise is still there clear and sound from the front when I hit some bumps, steps or holes. At this point i have to live with it, unfortunely.
I started to use ear plugs, they are good but the problem is still there and it prevents me to fully enjoy the bike.

Thanks to all of you for the help anyway and ride safe!

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
ryu10 is offline  
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Roseville, Ca.
Posts: 394
Just a thought: Do you know of an experienced rider that has ridden many bikes, that can ride your bike and give you a "second opinion" about this noise being a normal noise? Then maybe you get can determine if the dealer is being strait-forward with you. You can go to a different Kawasaki dealer of course too.
Buffalo_Bob is offline  
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Just a thought: Do you know of an experienced rider that has ridden many bikes, that can ride your bike and give you a "second opinion" about this noise being a normal noise? Then maybe you get can determine if the dealer is being strait-forward with you. You can go to a different Kawasaki dealer of course too.
Unfortunately I don't know any other experienced biker. I could go to another Kawasaki dealer, but it's far from my home and there is an high chance that he will tell me that there is no strange noise (like the other two mechanics said). But I don't ear things that doesn't exist, that's sure!

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
ryu10 is offline  
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 04:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Roseville, Ca.
Posts: 394
Don't assume another dealer will not treat you properly. My Kawasaki dealer is awesome and dedicated to provide excellent support and has excellent technicians. My dealer found a tiny pin hole gas tank leak on my 2006 Vulcan 1600 and replaced it under warranty. The bike was 9 years old at the time!

If I had a strange noise that I couldn't find, I'd take the bike many hundreds of miles if necessary.
Buffalo_Bob is offline  
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
you're right, but wear my shoes: i'm tired to spin around from dealer to dealer for nothing.
just a stupid question: this morning i weared the ear plugs and while i was exiting from the garage (so i was at very very low speed), i heard the noise again and i start to think that it could remember a sound like the fuel that hit the inside part of the thank. is it a very stupid explanation?
ryu10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome