ECU'S / Flashing & Tuning / Versys 650 / Complete - Page 6 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 145Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 121 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
thanks for all the great info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 121 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
June 12, 2019 / 516 KM @ 60 miles per gallon

Yesterday put on 516 KM , and was using Lucas engine treatment , 1.5 oz per tank, I got 60 miles to the gallon yesterday. This too needs to be monitored, I fueled up when the low fuel started to flash, plus about 60 KM, so it appears that I had 3 liters in the tank, with 430 KM traveled according to my GPS. It was a windy day, and I have never had that good a mileage before, bought the Lucas stuff years ago and used it whenever I thought of it. This time it was a full tank, plus I have a small bottle with 1.5 oz in it for fueling up.Yes this should be another post, did some viewing about ethanol and the fact it has 30% less energy and that several stations in Canada sell ethanol free fuel at 91 octane, the price difference for a 7% gain isn't worth the $$$$.
So I am getting use to the new flash, about 2000 KM on it now, there has been mention of converting back, the best way I can relate to that is like selling my 2015 and buying back my 2007 Versys, ain't happening.So next ride I may look at longer distance and monitor using fuel treatment. The big guess is the amount, 1 oz, 1.5 oz or 2 oz. per tank. Could take all summer whenever it gets here
post #103 of 121 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Yesterday put on 516 KM , and was using Lucas engine treatment , 1.5 oz per tank, I got 60 miles to the gallon yesterday. This too needs to be monitored, I fueled up when the low fuel started to flash, plus about 60 KM, so it appears that I had 3 liters in the tank, with 430 KM traveled according to my GPS. It was a windy day, and I have never had that good a mileage before, bought the Lucas stuff years ago and used it whenever I thought of it. This time it was a full tank, plus I have a small bottle with 1.5 oz in it for fueling up.Yes this should be another post, did some viewing about ethanol and the fact it has 30% less energy and that several stations in Canada sell ethanol free fuel at 91 octane, the price difference for a 7% gain isn't worth the $$$$.
So I am getting use to the new flash, about 2000 KM on it now, there has been mention of converting back, the best way I can relate to that is like selling my 2015 and buying back my 2007 Versys, ain't happening.So next ride I may look at longer distance and monitor using fuel treatment. The big guess is the amount, 1 oz, 1.5 oz or 2 oz. per tank. Could take all summer whenever it gets here
10% ethanol fuel, which is common here in the US does have less energy in it, about 3%. An interesting fact is that the stoic ratio for gasoline is 14.7:1 I don't tune to 14.7 to 1, I tune to 14.2:1 . why? Because that's stoic for 10% ethanol fuel, which is what we will most likely be running in our bikes.

post #104 of 121 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:30 PM

So after two full tanks post flash I can report better mpg. Before flash my riding style would yield about 180/190 miles before the last fuel marker would flash. This weekend I got 212 miles when I got down to the last fuel bar and that was before it started flashing. I didnít get the flash for improved mpg and I still need more tankfulls to be sure but if itís true itís a nice bonus.
onewizard likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #105 of 121 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:14 AM

Any update on the flash for 2017 Versys 650? Any ETA?
dadsafrantic and RoaringTodd like this.
post #106 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 04:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnakers0708 View Post
Any update on the flash for 2017 Versys 650? Any ETA?
i am also interested. let me know.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #107 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Steve in Sunny Florida

I was in contact with Steve about 10 days ago, he hasn't been on the forum since July 22. He moved and apparently some things aren't going too good. Anyone knowing more please PM me. Since his email changed also his password was a problem. I had KawiMan send him a new link for changing his password and updating his email. I haven't heard from him in over a week since doing that.
post #108 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 05:48 PM

A while back, @BigKev reported in this thread about 2wheeldynoworks ECU flash for all Gen 3's and his experience with it. Here's the link to their service. Appears to be more expensive but if it's as good as Shoodaben's, it's worth it!

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...er-forums.html

Moved link to our parts suppliers list( onewizard)

Last edited by onewizard; 08-30-2019 at 10:05 PM. Reason: this thread was started by a member, no links to bussiness other than in the above link, and no one else should either
post #109 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
A while back, @BigKev reported in this thread about 2wheeldynoworks ECU flash for all Gen 3's and his experience with it. Here's the link to their service. Appears to be more expensive but if it's as good as Shoodaben's, it's worth it!

https://2wheeldynoworks.com/shop/ecu...-in-ecu-flash/
I'm not seeing anything on the website on how it is tuned or the specific performance traits they achieved.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #110 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I'm not seeing anything on the website on how it is tuned or the specific performance traits they achieved.
True. All we have is the experience of BigKev at this point!

Maybe someone will chime in with more info. Iím sure enjoying my ECU flash from Shoodabeen!
post #111 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
True. All we have is the experience of BigKev at this point!

Maybe someone will chime in with more info. Iím sure enjoying my ECU flash from Shoodabeen!
I am as well.
jaaklucas likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #112 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Wow, weird. for some reason I couldn't sign in, so I was lurking for the past month or so. today I tried to chage my password, and my old sign in went right through. So that's good, I'm back!

I do have some good news. i can flash the 17-18's with the same flash I built for the earlier bikes so there is that!

Steve
post #113 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 06:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Sunny Fl View Post
Wow, weird. for some reason I couldn't sign in, so I was lurking for the past month or so. today I tried to chage my password, and my old sign in went right through. So that's good, I'm back!

I do have some good news. i can flash the 17-18's with the same flash I built for the earlier bikes so there is that!

Steve
i like that news. what's the process?
Buffalo_Bob likes this.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #114 of 121 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 03:31 PM

Garage
Hey everyone!

I am very happy with the results of my flash. Throttle is fixed. Just completely fixed. Fueling is great. Performance is better. Seat-of-the-pants better. Pulls cleanly from below 2000rpm. Snatchiness is gone. Fuel economy is so close to stock Iím not sure if itís my math producing differences. Seems to run better with premium gas. Love hearing about the results people have been having with the Shoodabeen flash. I just couldnít wait. Happy I pulled the trigger on it. Bonus! The exhaust sounds better! ĎBurblierí. Thatís a thing. So, my advice is to just do it. Steveís flash or 2wheeldynoworks? Take your pick. Steveís tune sounds, from the reviews at least, more refined. I have no idea what that means. Sounds like the results are similar between both.
Hope this helps a bit. Just do it. The factory throttle sucks and there seems to be no other solutions that work properly.

Cheers.
post #115 of 121 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsafrantic View Post
i like that news. what's the process?
Send an email to him at the Shoodaben web site

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #116 of 121 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
I am very happy with the results of my flash. Throttle is fixed. Just completely fixed. Fueling is great. Performance is better. Seat-of-the-pants better. Pulls cleanly from below 2000rpm. Snatchiness is gone. Fuel economy is so close to stock Iím not sure if itís my math producing differences. Seems to run better with premium gas. Love hearing about the results people have been having with the Shoodabeen flash. I just couldnít wait. Happy I pulled the trigger on it. Bonus! The exhaust sounds better! ĎBurblierí. Thatís a thing. So, my advice is to just do it. Steveís flash or 2wheeldynoworks? Take your pick. Steveís tune sounds, from the reviews at least, more refined. I have no idea what that means. Sounds like the results are similar between both.
Hope this helps a bit. Just do it. The factory throttle sucks and there seems to be no other solutions that work properly.

Cheers.

You are finding that it runs better on premium fuel? Do you get any gas knock on regular (87) octane ?
onewizard likes this.
post #117 of 121 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 05:09 PM

Garage
I think there might be a bit. I normally run 91 octane and I put a tank of 87 in her this last tank. I think I might notice a bit of pinging under low rpm load. But Iím just going by feel. This is not a very scientific observation. Iíll know better when I put 91 in it again and can compare. 5000 miles with tune and Iíve never suspected any knocking. This tank of fuel and I do. Iíll stick to 91, the cost difference is worth the peace of mind. This tune is definitely flowing more fuel when youíre on it and when engine braking. Ride sane and fuel usage seems same as stock. Throttle is nice! Cold/hot starting, idle, day to day riding and hooning are all great. Really seemed to wake the bike up. Pulls hard over 7000rpm. Well, hard for a 650versys anyways. Stock pipe.
Hope this information is of some use to you all. Iím completely sold on the effectiveness of this tune. I think it may be be more performance oriented than what Iím reading about your tune. Yours seems to have those Ď15ís and Ď16ís dialed.
Cheers!
onewizard likes this.
post #118 of 121 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

thank you Big Kev.
post #119 of 121 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 01:22 PM

Garage
Logged on for the first time in several weeks, and this is GREAT news. Thank you!

Just because I am Deaf does not mean I can not roar.

Long distance two stroke scooter rider moving onto even longer touring.
post #120 of 121 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 07:06 AM

Glad to hear the tune/flash is now available for the 2018 versys 650 models. I'll probably spring for the tune over the winter when I'm not riding.

I posted a few weeks ago about how the bike finally feels smooth and broken in after 2000 miles. Yes it's a great improvement, but for a $250 tune, it would be nice to have more of the lower rpms available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in