ECU'S / Flashing & Tuning / Versys 650 / Complete - Page 5 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 132Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,333
Merged & closed old thread & Stuck This One

Since discussion is split between forums and the fact that the Member Only is restricted to logged in members , I merged the old threads and then closed them in Member only, any pertinent posts I will copy there as time permits . https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...-complete.html
onewizard is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #82 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 03:24 PM
Member
 
BigKev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Waubaushene, Ontario
Posts: 59
Garage
Just to let you know, the tune for the 2017 Versys from 2wheeldynoworks is outstanding. I was so frustrated with the closed throttle metering in the factory mapping. Night and day throttle improvement. I had Woolich crack my 1206 ECU and Nels flashed it. Very, very pleased. Highly recommended for those with a 2017-18.
Cheers!
BigKev is online now  
post #83 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
Just to let you know, the tune for the 2017 Versys from 2wheeldynoworks is outstanding. I was so frustrated with the closed throttle metering in the factory mapping. Night and day throttle improvement. I had Woolich crack my 1206 ECU and Nels flashed it. Very, very pleased. Highly recommended for those with a 2017-18.
Cheers!
Could you provide more info as to cost etc.No listing for the Versys 650 for any year on their site.

Last edited by onewizard; 05-04-2019 at 05:22 PM.
onewizard is offline  
 
post #84 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 09:32 PM
Member
 
BigKev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Waubaushene, Ontario
Posts: 59
Garage
315us. They use woolich software and hardware to flash ecu. Go to the woolich site to see currently cracked ecu list for the 2017-18 gen3. Nels uses his own mapping. His tuning shop is highly regarded in and around the northwest racing scene. I donít race but his tune cured the throttle on my 2017 Versys 650 with the 1206 version of the ecu. Find myself pulling (cleanly) away from below 2000 rpm in what ever gear I happen to be in. Close the throttle and get normal engine braking not a boat anchor out the back. Roll on throttle and no lurching, stumbling or snatch. Maybe a bit more roll on power. Donít really care about that. Not sure about mileage yet. Too soon.
Mail your ecu to Nels, heíll look after you. If your ecu isnít cracked yet, heíll ship it to woolich and theyíll crack it and ship it back to Nels. Then he will apply his flash. As I said, my ecu (1206) was not cracked. It added a couple weeks to the turn around. Cracked and flashed successfully. About 3 weeks with shipping across the continent and the border both ways. Customer service was responsive and patient.
Iíve spent a lot of money making my Versys perfect for me. This flash was the final piece and I am very satisfied.
Hope this helps. If there is anything else I can add, let me know. I lurk here frequently.😏
Have a great riding season. Cheers!
Tcruarceri likes this.
BigKev is online now  
post #85 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
315us. They use woolich software and hardware to flash ecu. Go to the woolich site to see currently cracked ecu list for the 2017-18 gen3. Nels uses his own mapping. His tuning shop is highly regarded in and around the northwest racing scene. I donít race but his tune cured the throttle on my 2017 Versys 650 with the 1206 version of the ecu. Find myself pulling (cleanly) away from below 2000 rpm in what ever gear I happen to be in. Close the throttle and get normal engine braking not a boat anchor out the back. Roll on throttle and no lurching, stumbling or snatch. Maybe a bit more roll on power. Donít really care about that. Not sure about mileage yet. Too soon.
Mail your ecu to Nels, heíll look after you. If your ecu isnít cracked yet, heíll ship it to woolich and theyíll crack it and ship it back to Nels. Then he will apply his flash. As I said, my ecu (1206) was not cracked. It added a couple weeks to the turn around. Cracked and flashed successfully. About 3 weeks with shipping across the continent and the border both ways. Customer service was responsive and patient.
Iíve spent a lot of money making my Versys perfect for me. This flash was the final piece and I am very satisfied.
Hope this helps. If there is anything else I can add, let me know. I lurk here frequently.😏
Have a great riding season. Cheers!
I have Steve's Shoodaben Engineering flash, so I can only comment on that, to my knowledge he hasn't completed the 2017. As far as I know he does all the work himself once he gets the ECU, the original work he has someone that extracts the data, after that he applies "Mountain Runner" program and he also lowered the fan on temperature by 10'F. Several of us noticed the fan coming on late, around 210 to 212 , by the time the fan started the bike would be in the 214'F, I know this because I have my bypass temp. gauge to view.With the new flash it is like you said, my bike pulls in the 2500 RPM range were it stuttered before, same with engine braking.

So I guess Steve has some competition.
onewizard is offline  
post #86 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:06 AM
Member
 
BigKev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Waubaushene, Ontario
Posts: 59
Garage
I really hesitated to mention the dynoworks tune because Iíve admired Steveís work (from afar) since it was first mentioned here on the forum. Iíve visited his website every day (literally) for months and pestered him on this very forum waiting for his skill to be applied to the 2017-19 models. He has been very gracious. With the number of different skuís Kawasaki has for ecuís (up to 5(!) currently. Just for 2017 and 18!), I estimate that I might have been dead before my throttle was fixed. Steve is gracious, but not quick. Probably a great thing when tuning.
I in no way want to minimize Steveís accomplishments. From the rider feedback, his tune is completely dialed.
I am, however, very satisfied with the tune that is programmed into my bike from 2wheeldynoworks.
BTW, itís only competition if you have two offering the same product. As far as I know I might have the only 1206 ecu that has an aftermarket flash. So far. Now that it has been cracked by Woolich, any of their large network of independent tuners can now apply their own special sauce to that ecu. The quality of which will vary depending on skill and time. Steve seems to have those in abundance. Nels was highly recommended as well.
Best of success to both.
Now if olí Mother Nature would stop being such a fickle mistress, I could get out and enjoy that new tune some more!
Cheers!

Last edited by BigKev; 05-05-2019 at 08:14 AM. Reason: More detail.
BigKev is online now  
post #87 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 05:53 AM
Member
 
RoaringTodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 90
Garage
I just looked at the website - and I don't see anything listed for the Versys 650?

Just because I am Deaf does not mean I can not roar.

Long distance two stroke scooter rider moving onto even longer touring.
RoaringTodd is offline  
post #88 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:01 PM
Member
 
BigKev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Waubaushene, Ontario
Posts: 59
Garage
Click on the ĎKawasakií tag. Donít use the search bar. Dig through a bit. Itís there.
Better yet, email them.
They do offer mail-in ecu flash for the 2017 versys650 with the 1206 ecu. Others as well.
Honest.
RoaringTodd likes this.
BigKev is online now  
post #89 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:33 AM
Member
 
BigKev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Waubaushene, Ontario
Posts: 59
Garage
Quick update on 2017 ECU flash

After a couple of tanks of fuel, I am very happy! Fuel economy is so close to stock that Iím not able to tell if itís the tune or my new found enthusiasm for cracking the throttle open at 2000 rpm.
Pulls cleanly all the time. Burbles on closed throttle coast down. Mid range acceleration is improved according to the highly calibrated Ďseat-o-da-pants-ometerí. The bike meters fuel like a finely balanced carbureted bike.
Transformative investment. Throttle fixed.
Cheers!
BigKev is online now  
post #90 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: mid Flowriduh
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
After a couple of tanks of fuel, I am very happy! Fuel economy is so close to stock that Iím not able to tell if itís the tune or my new found enthusiasm for cracking the throttle open at 2000 rpm.
Pulls cleanly all the time. Burbles on closed throttle coast down. Mid range acceleration is improved according to the highly calibrated Ďseat-o-da-pants-ometerí. The bike meters fuel like a finely balanced carbureted bike.
Transformative investment. Throttle fixed.
Cheers!
Awesome, eh?

I really like the gentleness coming off of idle while putting along on dirt and some places that the bike really doesn't belong.

The flash really does make that engine run sweet.

Later,

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


And most of Canada too, eh?
SteveJ is offline  
post #91 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Awesome, eh?

I really like the gentleness coming off of idle while putting along on dirt and some places that the bike really doesn't belong.

The flash really does make that engine run sweet.

Later,
After owning a 07 then buying the 2015, something I have mentioned many times, one that not many of us think about, that is I come from a small community, ( it is more like a city now), but it is centered in Mennonite both Amish and Old order plus new order ( those that drive all black cars).
Canadian Tire Elmira ONT. Shelter for the Mennonite Buggy's




Where I am going with this, there was many a day when I would sit on the front porch and watch traffic go by, many versions of buggy's , and many times teams of beautiful horses pulling, one thing that was supper annoying was the pocket rockets flying by revving in the 4000-5000 RPM range, spooked the horses and also made many people look on these motorcyclists with contempt . So fast forward me on my 2015, finding out the 2000 to 4000 RPM sucked, I got use to riding through these villages and towns, that's right in the 4000 to 4500 RPM range, every so often I got looks, so thinking back since I adapted to my 2015, I could see anyone exposed to my riding technique having grounds to be annoyed, and the looks I got I very much doubt they were thinking, what a nice motorcycle and a really thoughtful guy riding it, too bad he doesn't stop so we could chat .
So the new flash puts a smile on my face. Since we have many that have had it done on this forum, I don't find the need to promote it anymore, like anything , some people just can't be convinced or justify the expense.
And yes, going through those small towns I am in the 2500 to 3000 RPM range now.
mully123, SteveJ and BigKev like this.

Last edited by onewizard; 05-22-2019 at 12:45 PM.
onewizard is offline  
post #92 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
After a couple of tanks of fuel, I am very happy! Fuel economy is so close to stock that I’m not able to tell if it’s the tune or my new found enthusiasm for cracking the throttle open at 2000 rpm.
Pulls cleanly all the time. Burbles on closed throttle coast down. Mid range acceleration is improved according to the highly calibrated ‘seat-o-da-pants-ometer’. The bike meters fuel like a finely balanced carbureted bike.
Transformative investment. Throttle fixed.
Cheers!
Filled up my (non-flashed) Gen 3 the other day - 456 kms (283 miles) took 17.03L (4.5 USg) giving me 75.7 mpgImperial (62.9 mpgUS).

That means that I STILL had 4L [OFFICIALLY: but I can get an extra 1.5L (.4 USg) in by filling to the TOP, making MY reserve was actually about good for ANOTHER 147 kms TO TANK DRY which I do NOT recommend doing as you'll probably wreck your fuel pump].

And that was a fairly "exhilarating" ride....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #93 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:00 PM
Member
 
BigKev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Waubaushene, Ontario
Posts: 59
Garage
Outstanding mileage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Filled up my (non-flashed) Gen 3 the other day - 456 kms (283 miles) took 17.03L (4.5 USg) giving me 75.7 mpgImperial (62.9 mpgUS).

That means that I STILL had 4L [OFFICIALLY: but I can get an extra 1.5L (.4 USg) in by filling to the TOP, making MY reserve was actually about good for ANOTHER 147 kms TO TANK DRY which I do NOT recommend doing as you'll probably wreck your fuel pump].

And that was a fairly "exhilarating" ride....
Really great fuel economy! This bike is such a great mix of fun without the guilt. Really enjoying it.
Keep the rubber down!
Cheers!
BigKev is online now  
post #94 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Lakeland, TN
Posts: 7
I recently got the Shoodaben tune flashed onto my 2015 650 ECM and it's definitely an improvement. As Steve has said in this thread multiple times, the wide open throttle performance isn't really any better, but it is significantly better in regular riding. Lower RPMs are now much smoother, on throttle/off throttle jerking and bucking is gone, and there is a slight improvement in part-throttle acceleration. Again, it doesn't turn the bike into a drag racing monster or anything like that, but it definitely makes for a smoother, much more enjoyable ride. Thanks, Steve!
onewizard, Turk, jaaklucas and 2 others like this.
nickrains is offline  
post #95 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:01 PM
Member
 
Turk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Boston
Posts: 384
My report is the same as nickrains, just installed the flashed ECU and it's a noticeable improvement. I live in a really congested area and I pretty much had it with the jerkiness and the bucking when riding in town or in slow, heavy traffic. The biggest difference for me was the off throttle response, I no longer heave forward in the saddle from too strong engine braking. The other plus is the smoothness at lower revs in higher gears. Before I wouldn't be able to keep the bike at 3k rpms unless I was in second gear and even then the bucking and jerkiness was apparent. Now I can ride in city traffic (25-35 mph) in third and even fourth gear, apply throttle and not have to deal with the engine lugging. Interestingly it seems my mpg has improved noticeably. I need more data to confirm but early indications are quite positive.

Personally I still prefer the behavior/responsiveness of my old 2012 Ninja 650 version of the motor but Steve in Sunny FL ECU flash is the next best thing. I would strongly recommend the flash if you ride in a lot of slow traffic. If I lived in a more rural, less populated area I think I would be okay with the bike as stock but it would be better with the flash.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turk is offline  
post #96 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:30 PM
Member
 
mrchunks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Garage
ok stupid question time.....i send the ecu to steve or woolich or whomever and the do their magic and send it back and i plug it in and thats it? .i dont need to go to dyno shop and drop a bunch of cash?

the bigger question is if for some crazy reason i dont like it how to i revert back to stock settings?
ty
mrchunks is offline  
post #97 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:20 PM
Member
 
Fly-Sig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 950
Just plug and play. No dyno, no messing around. It ain't like replacing a computer hard drive or anything. Follow the instructions on Steve's website on how to disconnect, remove, and reinstall it. I didn't need to use any lube fwiw.

I have no idea if either Steve or another tuner would revert it to OEM software, but you really won't be wanting that done so don't worry about it!
onewizard, Turk, mully123 and 1 others like this.
Fly-Sig is offline  
post #98 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Roseville, Ca.
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Just plug and play. No dyno, no messing around. It ain't like replacing a computer hard drive or anything. Follow the instructions on Steve's website on how to disconnect, remove, and reinstall it. I didn't need to use any lube fwiw.

I have no idea if either Steve or another tuner would revert it to OEM software, but you really won't be wanting that done so don't worry about it!
I will guarantee you that you won't want to revert back. There is absolutely no downside to Steve's flash. Your bike will perform better from idle to redline. No stumbles, no sudden engine braking, and the bike will pull in any gear from just over 2000 rpm's. You won't constantly be thinking about what gear you're in. You'll be able to enter and exit turns more cleanly. You'll experience a much wider and smoother power band. To me, it made such a shocking difference that I'm still marveling at it!
Buffalo_Bob is offline  
post #99 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,333
June 7 / 460 KM

1 Tank of fuel, I was surprised today, getting more used to the flash, first time ever to be at 2000 RPM in 6th gear and accelerate , for those that understand, cranking the throttle in 6th gear at 2000 RPM could cause permanent damage, however taking it easy, I was surprised to see it accelerate up to 100 KM/HR, never did this before. I also noticed another thing, on engine braking, I purposely pulled the clutch in while doing 60 KM/HR , I noticed RPM drop to 2000 RPM then gradually lower to 1350 RPM, this is all with the clutch pulled in, there is the reason why engine braking isn't as severe with the new flash.
onewizard is offline  
post #100 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Eagle County, CO
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchunks View Post
the bigger question is if for some crazy reason i dont like it how to i revert back to stock settings?
ty
Getting it back to stock is the same procedure as getting it flashed, mail the ECU to Steve and it gets flashed back to OEM. I asked the same question when considering the tune as I have an aftermarket exhaust, and Steves flash was developed with the stock exhaust. Steve will do it but I doubt anyone has asked to be flashed back to the stock map

I have run a few thousand miles with the exhaust + tune combo and never thought about going back to stock, no issues at all. Like others have said you wont feel any improvements going back to stock its a very well done ECU flash if you know what you are getting. Not going to add 10HP on the top end, but make the throttle control smooth as you like and much more usable in lower RPMs, slight HP/TQ increase elsewhere (dyno charts on Steves website), and for the price its a steal IMO if you have a 2015 or 2016
onewizard, Turk, mully123 and 1 others like this.

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
asphaltaddict33 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome