ECU'S / Flashing & Tuning / Versys 650 / Complete - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 145Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 11:29 AM
Member
 
RoaringTodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Would you like the use of mine?

Just because I am Deaf does not mean I can not roar.

Long distance two stroke scooter rider moving onto even longer touring.
RoaringTodd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringTodd View Post
Would you like the use of mine?
i appreciate that. Devilsfan has offered me his 2018 for the testing and dyno work, but the issue is that the 2017-8 ecu's are different, and getting the first ecu file to work with is destructive to the ECU. Usually I scour ebay for used units with PN's not yet in the database, but so far only 2 models are available, and devilsfan's ecu (and likely yours) is not. And I won't damage his, like I won't damage yours.
Patience.
Steve
Steve in Sunny Fl is offline  
post #23 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 06:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Roseville, Ca.
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I took a ride today outside of Auburn, CA on Mt. Vernon road which is designated as a Wine Trail. I purposely chose that road as the last time I rode it was before I got the ECU flash, and the pre-flash issues really took much of the joy of a really cool winding road. The road has a number of wineries, equestery centers, mandarin orange groves and many turns marked 10, 20, 25 miles per hour. You can't really go fast there are many blind turns and you may come upon a slow moving horse trailer or other farm vehicle, so a leisurely pace is needed. Before the ECU flash, it was difficult to find the right gear at times and then there is the dreaded excessive engine breaking.

Taking the road today with the ECU flash was a pure joy. While I don't go into detail like Onewizard, I did note the comfortable operating RPM range can go as low as 2300 and still pull away without complaint. I found the most comfortable range on these type of roads is now the 3000- 3500 RPM range. The crazy engine braking is completely gone! Frankly, after a few miles, I stopped watching the tach, and rode by the "seat of my pants" and enjoyed the road and the scenery.
Buffalo_Bob is offline  
 
post #24 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,101
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
I took a ride today outside of Auburn, CA on Mt. Vernon road which is designated as a Wine Trail. I purposely chose that road as the last time I rode it was before I got the ECU flash, and the pre-flash issues really took much of the joy of a really cool winding road. The road has a number of wineries, equestery centers, mandarin orange groves and many turns marked 10, 20, 25 miles per hour. You can't really go fast there are many blind turns and you may come upon a slow moving horse trailer or other farm vehicle, so a leisurely pace is needed. Before the ECU flash, it was difficult to find the right gear at times and then there is the dreaded excessive engine breaking.

Taking the road today with the ECU flash was a pure joy. While I don't go into detail like Onewizard, I did note the comfortable operating RPM range can go as low as 2300 and still pull away without complaint. I found the most comfortable range on these type of roads is now the 3000- 3500 RPM range. The crazy engine braking is completely gone! Frankly, after a few miles, I stopped watching the tach, and rode by the "seat of my pants" and enjoyed the road and the scenery.:than x:
Well I modified the quote as you were missing the most important thing , however you nailed the other about ignoring the tach
, I know I will need to relearn the gears and speedometer next year, as you said, it is now a pleasure to ride.
onewizard is offline  
post #25 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 11:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Roseville, Ca.
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Well I modified the quote as you were missing the most important thing , however you nailed the other about ignoring the tach
, I know I will need to relearn the gears and speedometer next year, as you said, it is now a pleasure to ride.
I think you will find quickly that shifting becomes far more intuitive, the bike responds now responds like it Shoodabeen , not much to relearn!
onewizard likes this.
Buffalo_Bob is offline  
post #26 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Roseville, Ca.
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
Yea, I know about those mods but I'm not a big fan of lowering kits. I've purchased a bike with one and it messed up the handling and one of the attributes I really like about the Versys is the handling. I've read up on the centerstands too, they all seem to have possible issues with chain interference so I've stayed away.

I've been thinking about the ECU flash for some time. That's a possibility.
I'm really picky about changes to my bike, so for what it's worth:

I've got the Shoodaben Mountain Runner ECU flash and it's the best thing I've done for the bike. Drastically changes the character of the power output for the better.

I also have installed the Motowerk (Speedy's) lowering kit and have noticed absolutely no adverse handling effects. You must follow the instructions carefully and lower the front end as well.
jaaklucas likes this.
Buffalo_Bob is offline  
post #27 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:43 PM
Member
 
Turk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Boston
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
I'm really picky about changes to my bike, so for what it's worth:

I've got the Shoodaben Mountain Runner ECU flash and it's the best thing I've done for the bike. Drastically changes the character of the power output for the better.

I also have installed the Motowerk (Speedy's) lowering kit and have noticed absolutely no adverse handling effects. You must follow the instructions carefully and lower the front end as well.
Good to hear about the ECU flash. How about your mpg afterwards? I like the range I get on my Versys, I would hate if that were altered.

I doubt I will do a lowering kit, I can get my feet down mostly and have no issue swinging my leg over the LT with the bags on I just think there is no purpose for the tallish nature of the bike so thought I would put that on my list of wishful updates.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turk is offline  
post #28 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 04:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Roseville, Ca.
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Haven't checked mileage yet. Still feeling the bike out on roads the roads that I prefer, especially the roads in the foothills of the Sierra. I don't commute and longer trips right now are not on my horizon as we are in our rainy season in Northern CA. which is day or two of rain, a day or two of fog or wind, followed by a day or two of nice weather. I'll spend some more time on the bike after the holidays. Weather permitting (rain or windy) we can ride pretty much all year.
Buffalo_Bob is offline  
post #29 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: mid Flowriduh
Posts: 587
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
Yea, I know about those mods but I'm not a big fan of lowering kits. I've purchased a bike with one and it messed up the handling and one of the attributes I really like about the Versys is the handling. I've read up on the centerstands too, they all seem to have possible issues with chain interference so I've stayed away.

I've been thinking about the ECU flash for some time. That's a possibility.
I installed the Hepco Becker center stand. Left stock, there is very little wiggle room on the chain slack. As a believer in having the slack to the looser side($800 mistake on a too tight chain on my KLR), this was not acceptable.

So out came the pneumatic angle grinder. I removed some of the CS frame where the chain interfered. I ground it at a 45* angle. The CS frame is quite over engineered so no worries there. I have about 40k miles on it and there are no issues on that.

The stand works a treat.

For me, the belt drive is a no-go as you really can't do dirt roads safely with it. Now shaft? sign me up. I would gladly carry the extra weight around to not have to deal with a chain. The stock gearing works well for me so changing the ratio is not on my radar as it seems to cruise at 85-90 mph(out west) just fine.

Quote:
Good to hear about the ECU flash. How about your mpg afterwards? I like the range I get on my Versys, I would hate if that were altered.
I have about a thousand miles on the flash. No discernible difference in mpg. A huge difference in "ride-ability", especially in the lower to mid rpm range. Enough of a difference that I won't be replacing the V anytime soon.
onewizard, jaaklucas and Devilsfan like this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


And most of Canada too, eh?
SteveJ is offline  
post #30 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 04:09 PM
Member
 
Fly-Sig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,019
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wow, this tune is everything everybody is saying! I finally got the ECU reinstalled and took it for a 30 minute local ride. Night and day difference in "rideability". As others have described, no need to be concerned about rpm and gear. Just ride by the seat of your pants. I used to have to be conscious of rpm to keep it above about 4000 when approaching intersections or other situations where I may want to accelerate. Running higher rpms is not natural to me, maybe because my previous bikes were either an inline 4cyl or a v-twin with plenty of low rpm torque.

Now I can ride in a much more natural rpm range without any worry of stutter or lack of acceleration.

Does this tune give more horsepower? Dunno and don't care. I typically am either riding around the suburbs or I'm cruising on the highway at sane speeds. I rarely crack the throttle more than halfway open, and rarely rev above 7000 rpm getting on the highway. This tune makes my regular riding much more mentally comfortable.

This is how it should-a-been from the factory.
Fly-Sig is offline  
post #31 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 05:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Roseville, Ca.
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Wow, this tune is everything everybody is saying! I finally got the ECU reinstalled and took it for a 30 minute local ride. Night and day difference in "rideability". As others have described, no need to be concerned about rpm and gear. Just ride by the seat of your pants. I used to have to be conscious of rpm to keep it above about 4000 when approaching intersections or other situations where I may want to accelerate. Running higher rpms is not natural to me, maybe because my previous bikes were either an inline 4cyl or a v-twin with plenty of low rpm torque.

Now I can ride in a much more natural rpm range without any worry of stutter or lack of acceleration.

Does this tune give more horsepower? Dunno and don't care. I typically am either riding around the suburbs or I'm cruising on the highway at sane speeds. I rarely crack the throttle more than halfway open, and rarely rev above 7000 rpm getting on the highway. This tune makes my regular riding much more mentally comfortable.

This is how it should-a-been from the factory.
Yep!

Buffalo_Bob is offline  
post #32 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,101
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Wow, this tune is everything everybody is saying! I finally got the ECU reinstalled and took it for a 30 minute local ride. Night and day difference in "rideability". As others have described, no need to be concerned about rpm and gear. Just ride by the seat of your pants. I used to have to be conscious of rpm to keep it above about 4000 when approaching intersections or other situations where I may want to accelerate. Running higher rpms is not natural to me, maybe because my previous bikes were either an inline 4cyl or a v-twin with plenty of low rpm torque.

Now I can ride in a much more natural rpm range without any worry of stutter or lack of acceleration.

Does this tune give more horsepower? Dunno and don't care. I typically am either riding around the suburbs or I'm cruising on the highway at sane speeds. I rarely crack the throttle more than halfway open, and rarely rev above 7000 rpm getting on the highway. This tune makes my regular riding much more mentally comfortable.

This is how it should-a-been from the factory.
I highlighted what I and others have said, something if in a multiple choice as to the prime advantage , before the flash was done, I doubt any of us would have been able to describe or pick. I know sometimes that what other people describe as fantastic is just so so for me, this is without a doubt fantastic. It is like I just got a new bike
onewizard is offline  
post #33 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 07:00 AM
Member
 
RoaringTodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
ARRRRGGHH. I understand and appreciate Steve's need to find a ECU for the 2017+'s to do a compete remap, but as I read about the earlier years ecu reflash success stories, I can't help but be ENVIOUS!
BigKev likes this.

Just because I am Deaf does not mean I can not roar.

Long distance two stroke scooter rider moving onto even longer touring.
RoaringTodd is offline  
post #34 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,101
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Used ECU 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringTodd View Post
ARRRRGGHH. I understand and appreciate Steve's need to find a ECU for the 2017+'s to do a compete remap, but as I read about the earlier years ecu reflash success stories, I can't help but be ENVIOUS!
One option and again Steve would be better at this to answer, from what I hear, Kawasaki has sourced other Venders for the ECU, I highly doubt they changed the harness and input sensors, so again Steve may be able to answer this, but my thought is buy a used 2015 or 2016 used ECU, send it to Steve and get the Flash, if it works, great, if and when he gets the 2017 worked out, you would have no trouble selling the 2015 ECU with the new flash.I am absolutely shocked as to how many are on Ebay.
onewizard is offline  
post #35 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
One option and again Steve would be better at this to answer, from what I hear, Kawasaki has sourced other Venders for the ECU, I highly doubt they changed the harness and input sensors, so again Steve may be able to answer this, but my thought is buy a used 2015 or 2016 used ECU, send it to Steve and get the Flash, if it works, great, if and when he gets the 2017 worked out, you would have no trouble selling the 2015 ECU with the new flash.I am absolutely shocked as to how many are on Ebay.
Same vendor - Denso - but the 2017-18 is a completely different ECU and won't even plug into the earlier bike's harness . Plus the tune parameters are configured differently, I see manufacturers doing this often now, it's going to suppress folks from flashing because now a flash will only be good for a couple model years then not applicable any more. Steve
onewizard, SteveJ and RoaringTodd like this.
Steve in Sunny Fl is offline  
post #36 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 10:44 AM
Member
 
RoaringTodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Would this work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17-Kawasaki...ake%3AKawasaki

Just because I am Deaf does not mean I can not roar.

Long distance two stroke scooter rider moving onto even longer touring.
RoaringTodd is offline  
post #37 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:11 PM
Member
 
RocketyMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to RocketyMan
*SUBSCRIBED*

I'd also be interested in some sort of tune on my ECM. My bike of course is a '17 so the whole conversation about the differences in model year would be applicable when compared to the '15 and '16.

My other motorcycle had a fuelpak installed, and I can contest myself in similar fashion that I do not like any "plug in" type tuners that plug in addition to the ECM. It introduces more possibility for wiring problems and also puts the "flat spots" with the tunes as they are far from perfect. I also didn't like the decel feature of the fuelpak either.

A tune would be the MOST ideal and MOST practical. My '17 does the same thing with the "chug a lug" when too low RPM because of the secondary flaps. It's annoying and I think impractical to always be forced to have higher RPM when cruising at lower speeds, such as around town.
BigKev and RoaringTodd like this.

2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
MODS: Thermo-Bob 3, Barkbusters Storm, Scorpion Slip-on Exhaust, Givi Rear Tire Hugger & Topcase Plate M7, T-Rex Racing: Engine Guard Crash Cages; Skid Plate; Front Axle Sliders
RocketyMan is offline  
post #38 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:57 AM
Member
 
BigKev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Waubaushene, Ontario
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Right!!!? Canít wait to get this done on my Ď17.
🥺
RoaringTodd likes this.
BigKev is offline  
post #39 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 02:20 PM
Member
 
Doug Just Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had Steve In Sunny FL/Shoodaben Engineering work his magic on my US-spec 2015's ECU. The process was smooth as butter and a super-quick turn-around. Steve provides written and video instructions. Took the bike out for a shake-down ride over the weekend. Did about 150 miles at around 24F and I won't say I give it a 100% workout as I stayed off some of the more technical roads due to patchy ice; however, I did enough to realize the bike is transformed. I could echo much of what others have already said above, but generally, know that THIS is how the engine should've been tuned from the factory. I was doing smooth 6th gear roll-ons from RPMs that would have had the bike bucking and protesting with the old ECU programming. Blip down-shifts are now much, much easier. I feel more torque at earlier RPMs, and the lumpiness of the power band is smoothed out quite a bit. I don't know if the bike is now "faster" but it sure feels "quicker" corner-to-corner. The biggest difference for me is the elimination of the fuel cut-off on trailing throttle, so now it has a buttery smooth transition. Having a smooth throttle response is very important to be as I ride year-round and have to deal with wet and sloppy roads. If Steve's re-flash did nothing more than eliminate that "dropped the anchor" feeling when rolling off the throttle, it would be worth the price. Steve advises setting throttle slack to 2mm and idle to factory specs. I always keep the throttle slack to bare minimum on my bikes (factory settings are ridiculous IMHO); I did need to bump up the idle speed a smidgen after re-installing the ECU, which I did prior to my ride. Too soon to determine if MPG is effected one way or the other, but I suspect it will go up as it's no longer necessary to flog the engine as much to get the same velocity. Even if it goes down by 5 MPG, the re-flashing will still be worth it by a long shot. Extremely happy with this mod.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
Doug Just Doug is offline  
post #40 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 02:21 PM
Member
 
Green2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Also SUBSCRIBED!

This ECU tune sounds like exactly what my 2015 Versys has been sorely needing! All of the user reviews posted here are very encouraging and the price is very reasonable for the huge ride-ability improvements.

From the Shoodaben Engineering site:

Quote:
Intake air pressure fuel map optimized;
Throttle position fuel map optimized;
Ignition timing optimized;
All gear based secondary throttle maps optimized;
Deceleration fuel cut is defeated, off/on throttle is smooth as butter!
Rev limiter is lowered 500 rpm to 9500... safer for the engine and doesn't sacrifice any performance;
Engine cooling fan on temp lowered 10*.
I have two questions:
  • Will the tune work the same with an aftermarket exhaust, or do we need to let Steve know that we have one so the tune can be tweaked to account for it? (Leo Vince SBK underbody)
  • Is it possible to not include the Rev Limiter reduction? Everything about this tune sounds incredible except losing that last 500 rpm. I'm rarely ever in that part of the rev range, and it's not making peak power up there, but it's nice to know it's there in the rare instance it's needed.

Thanks in advance for any replies and I look forward to being another happy customer soon!

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT [Candy Lime Green]
2003 Yamaha XT225
2006 Yamaha TW200
Green2015 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome