Chain alignment / anomaly - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Chain alignment / anomaly

I cleaned an lubed the chain yesterday and took an initial measurement and I had about 1.6" of chain travel so after cleaning I decided to tighten that up a bit. I'll say that I did not notice this before but now the chain loosens and tightens during the rotation. I set the tension to 1.25 but it will tighten up to about .125" during the course of a revolution. This can't be normal?
Do you recommend wet lube or a wax style? I used a wax type but the chain sure seems stiff now when cold. I'm sure it warms up under use and is fine. It has 15k on the chain and is probably getting due for replacement what chains do ya'll prefer?
Oh and I read the chain / alignment thread but didn't see this covered where the chain tension varies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 01:29 PM

Correct; chains don't wear in a uniform fashion. Rotate the wheel until the tightest point in the chain is about halfway between the sprockets, and take your before and after slack measurements from there. Also, just before you tighten the axle nut, place an Allen wrench (doesn't have to be an Allen wrench but that's what most folks use; 6mm often does the trick) between the sprocket and the upper run of the chain, and then rotate the wheel backward to lock it in place against the adjusters, and hold while tightening the axle nut. This will prevent the wheel from moving slightly when the axle nut is being torqued down and throwing off your slack and/or alignment.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 04:53 PM

Like Doug said...when you tighten the axle bolt the chain may tighten or loosen.

Also, I prefer to measure the chain slack when the bike is on the SIDE stand. I put it up on the CENTER stand to adjust, and then place it back on the SIDE stand and re-measure. If you do it this way you will notice that, on the CENTER stand when you adjust it and tighten the axle, as soon as you place it back on the SIDE stand the chain will probably be extremely tight. So, when on the CENTER stand leave a little play. Or do what Doug said with the allen wrench.

As for new chains, it's a pick of the litter. I prefer the Bike Master brand. Been using them for a few years and I get them at my local dealership. I think they're strong, durable and fairly priced.
As for sprockets, I use whatever my dealership recommends. Many times I've had different brands for the front and back but I've been told that as long as they're steel sprockets they should be good to go!

And chain cleaner...Pro Honda brand. Chain lube...I'm a Bel-Ray fan!
Fastoman likes this.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
...I'll say that I did not notice this before but now the chain loosens and tightens during the rotation. I set the tension to 1.25 but it will tighten up to about .125" during the course of a revolution. This can't be normal?....
Sounds to me that your chain is worn-out. That's the usual cause of it loosening and tightening during a rotation, as links that are 'seized' go over the front sprocket.
invader and jaaklucas like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Check your chain for stiff joints and too many of it will need replacement.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 07:37 PM

Sprocket Center is a good source for chains & sprockets.

https://sprocketcenter.com/

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:07 PM

EK MVXZ2 520 (114 links) drive chain made in Japan https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/e...ies-520-chain/

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/v...rear-sprocket/

Kawasaki OEM countershaft rubber-damped front drive sprocket https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/p...output-15t-520
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, that's exactly what I did was to find the tightest spot and set the adjustment there. The alignment marks are really off, at least a 1/2 mark or more. It's a DID chain on there now, just ordered up another. Unsure at this point what makes one X/O ring chain better than another to warrant $40 or more dollars over another. I guess it's just experience to know what works well for you.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:18 PM

You already ordered a chain? Which one? Any sprockets too?
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You already ordered a chain? Which one? Any sprockets too?
Think he got a DID Japan...
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 10:41 PM

I got a chain and sprocket kit from amazon for $100 earlier this year. Was DID brand and forget whos sprockets, but brand name ones anyway.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011J6P9MM
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034ZU5LM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JT-JTF565-1...T/253980995429

Since I just got the bike this will be a good baseline to see how long they all last. As I mentioned previously there's 15250 on the ODO so I imagine the chain is definitely due. The rear sprocket does look ok and I'll inspect the front when the chain get's R&R.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:42 PM

DID's economy grade 520VO O-ring (not X-ring) chain comes with a clip link only.

"The rivet link requires a tool to install where the other types do not. However, based on testing by EK the rivet master link is 100% as strong/reliable as the rest of the links in the chain. The screw type link is about 95% as reliable as the rest of the links in the chain, but in some cases there can be clearance issues with the part that sticks out. The clip link is only about 70% as strong/reliable as the rest of the links in the chain. Since your chain is only as strong as the weakest link we at MotoMummy only provide rivet links with all chains we sell. It's the safest and most reliable method."

Look under Moto Mummy
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...er-forums.html
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 12-03-2018 at 03:20 PM.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:35 AM

I prefer liquid chain lube Dupont, my last chain seemed to get a lot of stiff points using wax lube. Hash marks are not that accurate, so an chain alignment tool is helpful, around $10 on ebay. Grease Ninja tool makes applying lube much easier. I cleaned the outside plate of the master link then painted it with some nail polish, this makes it easy to know when you have lubed the full rotation of the chain. I went with a 44T rear sprocket, slightly lower revs on the hwy and I donít notice any power difference.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
I prefer liquid chain lube Dupont, my last chain seemed to get a lot of stiff points using wax lube. Hash marks are not that accurate, so an chain alignment tool is helpful, around $10 on ebay. Grease Ninja tool makes applying lube much easier. I cleaned the outside plate of the master link then painted it with some nail polish, this makes it easy to know when you have lubed the full rotation of the chain. I went with a 44T rear sprocket, slightly lower revs on the hwy and I donít notice any power difference.
I had been thinking of a solution to mark the chain so I didn`t over or under lube it. I think I rotate the chain more than needed just so I don`t miss any of it.

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
]
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Soon to add to How To Forum

Quote:
DID's economy grade 520VO O-ring (not X-ring) chain comes with a clip link only.

"The rivet link requires a tool to install where the other types do not. However, based on testing by EK the rivet master link is 100% as strong/reliable as the rest of the links in the chain. The screw type link is about 95% as reliable as the rest of the links in the chain, but in some cases there can be clearance issues with the part that sticks out. The clip link is only about 70% as strong/reliable as the rest of the links in the chain. Since your chain is only as strong as the weakest link we at MotoMummy only provide rivet links with all chains we sell. It's the safest and most reliable method."
Thanks for the post.

Last edited by onewizard; 12-03-2018 at 03:20 PM.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Eddie / Nail Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
I had been thinking of a solution to mark the chain so I didn`t over or under lube it. I think I rotate the chain more than needed just so I don`t miss any of it.
This is a trick that came from Eddie, real simple and it stands out, pick your favorite nail polish, , or your significant others nail polish and paint one link. Real easy to pick out.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Look under Moto Mummy
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...er-forums.html
Thanks and great resource, I saved the link for later review. and yep on the rivet vs clip link. I did buy a couple rivet links to use, just didn't list them in the parts purchase. Bought 2 so I can screw the first one up...

Last edited by onewizard; 12-03-2018 at 03:21 PM.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
I prefer liquid chain lube Dupont, my last chain seemed to get a lot of stiff points using wax lube. Hash marks are not that accurate, so an chain alignment tool is helpful, around $10 on ebay. Grease Ninja tool makes applying lube much easier. I cleaned the outside plate of the master link then painted it with some nail polish, this makes it easy to know when you have lubed the full rotation of the chain. I went with a 44T rear sprocket, slightly lower revs on the hwy and I don’t notice any power difference.
I was considering a few less teeth on the rear sprocket. Mainly in hoping to tame some of the jumpiness in 1st / 2nd. Some is throttle control I'm sure but it sure seems twitchy. How does that affect the speedo?

ETA: Being a hobbiest machinist and having some spare HDPE and Aluminum block around I was going to make my own "ninja" and may play around with a laser chain aligner.

Last edited by Heywood; 12-03-2018 at 10:29 AM.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:22 AM

With a new tire (Dunlop Roadsmart 3) and 44T sprocket the speedo is same as GPS speed indication.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode