turn off the bike with radiator's fan on - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
turn off the bike with radiator's fan on

hi guys, i would like to know one thing. i've talked with some people and there no common opinion about the topic.
before turning off the bike, if the radiator's fan is spinning, do you wait until it stops or not? some people says to wait, others (including me) says that this is not necessary. What's the best thing to do in this case?
ryu10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 08:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: South Louisiana USA
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
hi guys, i would like to know one thing. i've talked with some people and there no common opinion about the topic.
before turning off the bike, if the radiator's fan is spinning, do you wait until it stops or not? some people says to wait, others (including me) says that this is not necessary. What's the best thing to do in this case?
same as your car, turn it off.
Kyle E likes this.

Jay™
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
SouthernCruizer is offline  
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCruizer View Post
same as your car, turn it off.
but in the car the fans keep spinning automatically even if the car is turned off
ryu10 is offline  
 
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:24 AM
Member
 
Fly-Sig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,013
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Turn it off.

It isn't over limit when the fan comes on, it is simply warm enough to turn the fan on. When the engine is running, more heat is being added. When the engine is turned off, no additional heat is being added to the system.

Since it isn't over limit, it will simply cool down over time without causing damage.
xuus likes this.
Fly-Sig is offline  
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:46 AM
Member
 
webmost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Dull-Aware
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
The things people worry about.
vaulter and Duffy like this.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
webmost is offline  
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:48 AM
Member
 
JimK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Mishawaka,Indiana
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Me, I would just turn it off.

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
JimK is offline  
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
ok, thanks to all of you! i don't understand why so many people says that turn it off with fan spinning is wrong and can cause damages on the long term
ryu10 is offline  
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
ok, thanks to all of you! i don't understand why so many people says that turn it off with fan spinning is wrong and can cause damages on the long term
I agree with all the above folks, but I still do wait a few seconds when I get in my garage. Having seen the above, I will probably stop that. I think that idea that gets handed down as an "urban myth" comes from the old days of automobiles when the fans were not electronic, but rather belt driven (and the cooling systems weren't as good) so running the car for a while and spinning the fan was thought to help. The whole thing intensified in the beginning of turbo chargers when the oil would get so hot in the turbo that if you shut if off immediately it was said to degrade the oil in the super hot turbo. Many reports on failed turbos in the beginning. I am not an engineer, so others will probably have ideas where it all came from.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cjcintucson is offline  
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,069
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Turn it Off/ Except if at or above 5000 RPM minutes before

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
hi guys, i would like to know one thing. i've talked with some people and there no common opinion about the topic.
before turning off the bike, if the radiator's fan is spinning, do you wait until it stops or not? some people says to wait, others (including me) says that this is not necessary. What's the best thing to do in this case?
Short answer , just turn it off, you are only going to pull 4'F lower by letting it run until the fan turns off at idle, and possibly discharge a bit of battery in the process.

I added some criteria in the subject which I highly doubt any of us could possibly park the bike under. What I mean is if you have been riding at or above 5000 RPM for a sustained period and just parked it in the garage or on the street, within minutes of coming off that RPM and it is 30'C / 86F and the fan is running, you can let it run, your choice, expect this to last 3 or more minutes as the stator is hot and very likely your DC volts is around 13.4 to 13.6 VDC.

The reality is this is a water cooled motor, the energy put out from the motor increases with RPM , so at idle , very little energy / heat produced, since as I said this is water cooled, without water this motor would fail fairly rapidly as very little metal to dissipate heat compared to a air cooled motor, so on the same token since there is less metal than air cooled there is less retained heat. Turning off the motor when the fan is running on a stock 2015 Versys is going to be in the area of 212 to 214'F .

So with the key off, the instant you turn it off the temperature will not go above 214, unless you have low fluid levels or waterpump is screwed in which case you wouldn't have made it this far without the high temp light coming on.



Photo of bypass T stat doing a fan cycle on my 2015 with T Bob #4 for snow bikes, located on discharge of motor
RocketyMan likes this.
onewizard is offline  
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,670
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
hi guys, i would like to know one thing. i've talked with some people and there no common opinion about the topic.
before turning off the bike, if the radiator's fan is spinning, do you wait until it stops or not? some people says to wait, others (including me) says that this is not necessary. What's the best thing to do in this case?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
ok, thanks to all of you! i don't understand why so many people says that turn it off with fan spinning is wrong and can cause damages on the long term
Just imagine for a moment that the Kawasaki people actually KNEW what they were doing when they designed it to turn the fan OFF when you switch the engine OFF (SOME like the KLR650 keep the fan spinning).


Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Short answer , just turn it off, you are only going to pull 4'F lower by letting it run until the fan turns off at idle, and possibly discharge a bit of battery in the process.

I added some criteria in the subject which I highly doubt any of us could possibly park the bike under. What I mean is if you have been riding at or above 5000 RPM for a sustained period and just parked it in the garage or on the street, within minutes of coming off that RPM and it is 30'C / 86F and the fan is running, you can let it run, your choice, expect this to last 3 or more minutes as the stator is hot and very likely your DC volts is around 13.4 to 13.6 VDC.

The reality is this is a water cooled motor, the energy put out from the motor increases with RPM , so at idle , very little energy / heat produced, since as I said this is water cooled, without water this motor would fail fairly rapidly as very little metal to dissipate heat compared to a air cooled motor, so on the same token since there is less metal than air cooled there is less retained heat. Turning off the motor when the fan is running on a stock 2015 Versys is going to be in the area of 212 to 214'F .

So with the key off, the instant you turn it off the temperature will not go above 214, unless you have low fluid levels or waterpump is screwed in which case you wouldn't have made it this far without the high temp light coming on.



Photo of bypass T stat doing a fan cycle on my 2015 with T Bob #4 for snow bikes, located on discharge of motor
Thanks for the detailed explanation but I have a doubt about the temperature. I read that when you turn off the engine, in the next few minutes the temperature increase before starting to decrese. Instead, I understood that you told me the temperature stay stable after turning off the engine. Have I misunderstood?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Just imagine for a moment that the Kawasaki people actually KNEW what they were doing when they designed it to turn the fan OFF when you switch the engine OFF (SOME like the KLR650 keep the fan spinning).

That's what I'm saying to those people! I think that the engineers know their stuff, and besides that there are no reference in the user manual about this fact

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
ryu10 is offline  
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 05:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: South Louisiana USA
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
ok, thanks to all of you! i don't understand why so many people says that turn it off with fan spinning is wrong and can cause damages on the long term
lots of ignorance and fake news on the net. That is all.

Jay™
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
SouthernCruizer is offline  
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,069
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
Thanks for the detailed explanation but I have a doubt about the temperature. I read that when you turn off the engine, in the next few minutes the temperature increase before starting to decrese. Instead, I understood that you told me the temperature stay stable after turning off the engine. Have I misunderstood? That's what I'm saying to those people! I think that the engineers know their stuff, and besides that there are no reference in the user manual about this fact

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
I will add something else here, I spent the better of 35 years repairing large water cooled inverters, all new inverters and I am talking 600 kilowatt to 2.5 megawatt inverters with water cooled electronics all turn off the internal cabinet water pump or close the inlet water valve to the cabinet while continuing to circulate cooling water to the furnaces,on a power failure or power down why, mainly because there is no more energy being produced / consumed within the cabinet.

This holds true for our bikes, that T stat in my photo is analogue with a capillary connected to my bypass T which enter's the return line at the water pump. I think you would be surprised how fast the temperature of the engine drops even on a hot day (26'C) in 15 minutes it is at 160'F, this isn't a statement that I think what happens but actual fact, to go further, what you mention about the temperature going up, is false, if that were the case,starting the bike 3 minutes after dropping the bike, one would expect to be in over-temperature, I can tell you for a fact it is about 4'F cooler, again that is what happens when you are in second gear doing a 180 ccw and not paying attention.Rode all season with my patched left fairing, new one is still in a sealed cardboard box from 2017.

If you are looking for a argument here, you came to the wrong place. Something like break in, I went as high as 8000 RPM the very first 200 KM, I followed my head Kawasaki trained mechanic, we all have choices, if you plan on following the manual every time, don't ask or question other methods . What you question isn't in the service manual or the owners manual.

If your choice is to let it run for 10 minutes before you turn it off, that is your choice, what would be more important , if you live in a cool or cold climate is to use a Thermo-Bob , cycling from hot to cold numerous times isn't good for anything.
What is also harder is having the fan come on late, that is when it reaches 212'F cut in temp, we are still inputting energy into the motor, plus the energy already there, I have seen my T gauge go over 214'F with the fan running, so the flash change on the 2015 is set for around 205'F cut in, I expect to see a huge change in performance.

Last edited by onewizard; 11-28-2018 at 09:55 PM.
onewizard is offline  
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I will add something else here, I spent the better of 35 years repairing large water cooled inverters, all new inverters and I am talking 600 kilowatt to 2.5 megawatt inverters with water cooled electronics all turn off the internal cabinet water pump or close the inlet water valve to the cabinet while continuing to circulate cooling water to the furnaces,on a power failure or power down why, mainly because there is no more energy being produced / consumed within the cabinet.

This holds true for our bikes, that T stat in my photo is analogue with a capillary connected to my bypass T which enter's the return line at the water pump. I think you would be surprised how fast the temperature of the engine drops even on a hot day (26'C) in 15 minutes it is at 160'F, this isn't a statement that I think what happens but actual fact, to go further, what you mention about the temperature going up, is false, if that were the case,starting the bike 3 minutes after dropping the bike, one would expect to be in over-temperature, I can tell you for a fact it is about 4'F cooler, again that is what happens when you are in second gear doing a 180 ccw and not paying attention.Rode all season with my patched left fairing, new one is still in a sealed cardboard box from 2017.

If you are looking for a argument here, you came to the wrong place. Something like break in, I went as high as 8000 RPM the very first 200 KM, I followed my head Kawasaki trained mechanic, we all have choices, if you plan on following the manual every time, don't ask or question other methods . What you question isn't in the service manual or the owners manual.

If your choice is to let it run for 10 minutes before you turn it off, that is your choice, what would be more important , if you live in a cool or cold climate is to use a Thermo-Bob , cycling from hot to cold numerous times isn't good for anything.
What is also harder is having the fan come on late, that is when it reaches 212'F cut in temp, we are still inputting energy into the motor, plus the energy already there, I have seen my T gauge go over 214'F with the fan running, so the flash change on the 2015 is set for around 205'F cut in, I expect to see a huge change in performance.
I'm not looking for any argument, why you say that? I just want to understand, that's all. Your explanation is very technical so I wanted to be sure to understand it. I agree with the fact about turning off the bike even if the fan is spinning, I just wanted to understand why there is this "myth" about the fact that if you are doing it, the engine will damage in the long term

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
ryu10 is offline  
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,069
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
I'm not looking for any argument, why you say that? I just want to understand, that's all. Your explanation is very technical so I wanted to be sure to understand it. I agree with the fact about turning off the bike even if the fan is spinning, I just wanted to understand why there is this "myth" about the fact that if you are doing it, the engine will damage in the long term

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
It would seem we have a language or communication problem, it has been close to 4 years since I had anyone on the ignore list. As to the myth, I can't comment on that, when I make a post, 98% is fact, the remaining 2% is mistakes I make, at 68 I do forget things.
onewizard is offline  
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 06:52 PM
Member
 
TalkingTina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Turn off the bike with radiator's fan on

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmost View Post
The things people worry about.
He might worry because he doesn't know. Maybe offer some insight?
ryu10 likes this.
TalkingTina is offline  
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 6,954
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Turn the engine off. If you look at 1st Gen , kawa has mentioned on overheating problem and have stated in the owners manual to turnoff engine at traffic junctions/traffic light if stalled/idealling more than 1 minute or so.
ryu10 likes this.
Fastoman is offline  
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,670
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Turn the engine off. If you look at 1st Gen , kawa has mentioned on overheating problem and have stated in the owners manual to turnoff engine at traffic junctions/traffic light if stalled/idealling more than 1 minute or so.
Also, SOMEWHERE in one of my V650's OWNERS MANUALS, I believe it says to NOT idle the engine for more than FIVE minutes, but I'm a bit TOO busy now to look it up.
onewizard and Fastoman like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 05:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Savannah GA
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Just imagine for a moment that the Kawasaki people actually KNEW what they were doing when they designed it to turn the fan OFF when you switch the engine OFF (SOME like the KLR650 keep the fan spinning).

Well, I'm not a mechanical engineer but I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Dave31410 is offline  
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 04:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Poland
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've definitely seen bikes ridden hard, then turned off, standing for a couple of minutes and only then pissing themselves from the safety pressure valve. Common occurrence in moto gymkhana events actually. How does that happen? Why does the pressure (and thus temperature) seem to rise after the engine has shut down? Could that be avoided by keeping the engine on, letting the water circulate to an actively-cooled (fan) radiator?

2015 Versys 650
_Big_Mac_ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome