Gear shifter vibration - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Vin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gear shifter vibration

Hi all,

A few hundred miles ago I noticed that my bike's gear shifter vibrates heavily at low RPM and low load.

It is definitely not the regular vibration of these bikes. If I rest my foot on top of the lever I can feel the vibration lifting my foot. The lever also moves very slightly up when increase load and lower when I decrease the load.

At higher RPMs or higher load there is no vibration.

Has somebody else experienced something similar?

Bike is 2011 and 8k miles.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 02:46 PM

Mine did that. A new chain fixed it. I had overtightened my chain and it lunched it.

David
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 02:49 PM

Is that the usual life span of a chain? I'm getting close to 8K myself...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post

I've got close to 14K on my stock chain only have adjusted it slightly 3 times since 01/2010. Still like new the only thing i did was put a 16T Front Sprocket at the 600 mile check-up...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 03:45 PM

have a chat to Sambamboo he has a very recent post here in Tech Discussion about a similar issue. I wonder if your problem was his early symptom
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
you can't really give an approximation for a chain life. It depends on factors like the weather, rider, regular lubrication, proper adjustment type of chain etc. If in doubt over oil it as opposed to a bit here and there.

Last edited by crow; 01-11-2013 at 04:05 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Vin

Thanks guys. Chain seem to be a bit overtightened, will loosen it tomorrow and see if it helps.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Thanks guys. Chain seem to be a bit overtightened, will loosen it tomorrow and see if it helps.
how did you get on mate?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 05:23 PM

Better a bit loose than too tight. Not only will you burn through a lot of chains and sprockets BUT there's a good chance that you'll trash a counter shaft seal and that's no fun to replace. On a KLR you have to break the case to do so, no I didn't burn mine up but I have read more than one post were someone did.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Vin

Chain was indeed a bit too tight. After adjusting it properly the vibration got much better, although it is still there.

I had a look at the front sprocket and it is at the very end of its working life, which is likely to be another source of gear lever vibration.

I am impressed by how quickly it is gone! The bike has 8.5k miles, the chain seems to be fine with no notches and little play when pulling it at the back of the rear sprocket, the rear sprocket is also in very good shape and the bike always had scottoiler.

I am not a big fan of changing just one component of the drive chain assembly, but this time I will give it a go and buy only a new front sprocket.

Thanks all for your help and Ill get back when I change the front sprocket and hopefully sort the lever vibration.

Cheers!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Replace only the front sprocket? Check if your chain tension varies as you rotate rear wheel. Either way, after what it's been through especially with such front sprocket wear, replace the chain and both sprockets as a complete matched set... My original chain was uneven from the start and I finally replaced it with the sprockets at 2600 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode