Gear Shifter Issues - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gear Shifter Issues

Hey All,

For the past 2k kms I've had issues with the shift leaver not returning fully after selecting first gear. It would sort of stay a bit floppy till i put my toe under it and pop it back into the correct position.

I thought it may be bad lubrication on the pivot however after adding a nipple and lube the issue remained and seems to be progressively getting worse.....So,

I Dropped my V off today for its 36k (km) Service and the Kwaka Dealership are looking into the problem they are saying it will quite possibly take a full engine removal and strip down to get access to the springs on the internal shifter mechanism etc. if that is the culprit..

Update: Found Out its a part number 13280-0183 HOLDER,NEUTRAL SWITCH which is cracked/broken and they are on back order for 2 weeks.

Anyone know of a good quick suppler of this part (and a suitable gasket) to OZ...partshark?

Last edited by sambamboo; 01-10-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Page 327 on the versys manual On transmission removal. Nothing much to do unless you have other problem.

& keep posted.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Found out only the small transmission cover needs to be removed to access the damaged part so I've ordered the bits required from partshark.com as more than likely it will be faster than the back ordered parts from the dealer.

I will update and take a picture of the damaged part once i go and pick up my V.

Last edited by sambamboo; 01-11-2013 at 12:35 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambamboo View Post
Found out only the small transmission cover needs to be removed to access the damaged part so I've ordered the bits required from partshark.com as more than likely it will be faster than the back ordered parts from the dealer.

I will update and take a picture of the damaged part once i go and pick up my V.
Sorry to hear about the hassles mate.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

All Good Crow ..seriously I've had 35 thousand kms of trouble free riding, how many bikes can you do that on.

I could have kept on going till the parts arrived but better to wait just in case it fully let go.

Just thought I'd add the post as I've heard of others on the Forums having difficulty shifting and this may be the culprit on their Versys.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambamboo View Post
All Good Crow ..seriously I've had 35 thousand kms of trouble free riding, how many bikes can you do that on.

I could have kept on going till the parts arrived but better to wait just in case it fully let go.

Just thought I'd add the post as I've heard of others on the Forums having difficulty shifting and this may be the culprit on their Versys.
VFR's for a few hundred thousand km any day no hassles apart from regulator/ rectifyers... but they are something else too...

I've had no real issues in any modern road bikes ever in the last 500,000km for a roundabout guess of the last 24 years I can think of..touch wood... the dirt bike are a different thing but, especially the modern 4 strokes.

Nice to meet another Aussie here too.. you got your pin on the Versys Google maps page yet? there's 2 of us so far.. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=21732

Last edited by crow; 01-11-2013 at 03:33 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Parts arrived and fitted. Its just like having a new gearbox the difference is so profound, always amazed at how light and delicate these parts are they wouldn't weigh more than a gram or 2.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 08:03 AM

How easy/hard was that fix?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

I'm making an assumption that it was reasonably easy as i had my local bike-shop do it and all it required was the part above, one screw, and a transmission cover gasket. They didn't charge me much at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode