Weird engine noise at idle speed - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Weird engine noise at idle speed

Hi guys, today a friend of mine bought a versys 650 model 2019 and i drove it since he has not the license yet.
when i started the engine, it make a strange noise at idle speed and i never ever heard this noise on my versys. it seems like a crow, what could it be? he asked to the dealer, but he said that it's completely normal.
You can find the recording of the sound here: https://files.fm/u/ambvyzxu

thanks in advance!
ryu10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:17 AM
Member
 
hawkerjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fresno aka Shake & Bake California
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Very interesting. Sounds like air leaking or flowing thru something.

It has a rhythmic timing too. Kinda like pressure or vacuum builds up to a point then releases and the cycle continues.

Perhaps some new save the planet emissions control device?

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 11-24-2018 at 09:28 AM.
hawkerjet is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Very interesting. Sounds like air leaking or flowing thru something.

Perhaps some new save the planet emissions control device?
i don't think so. the bike is extacly the same from 2015. can it be an engine problem?
ryu10 is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:38 AM
Member
 
hawkerjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fresno aka Shake & Bake California
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
i don't think so. the bike is extacly the same from 2015. can it be an engine problem?
Thinking if it were an engine problem the noise would be continuous.

Best bet would be for your buddy to take it back to the dealership and let them figure it out.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
hawkerjet is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,064
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Many Things

First is the engine at temperature, what oil is in use, how much free play do you have in the clutch cable, clutch lever, what happens after 5 minutes of riding and bike in neutral. What is the oil level, what KM are on the motor,has it been in for the first service, ***many questions all which will help point to the problem. I can say it is very easy to have the throttle bodies not connected properly, as they are on a angle , this will cause a air leak and all kinds of problems. Having the clutch cable too tight, will cause the bearing support to ride all the time, warm up is key also. Oil affects the gear box, synthetic makes a huge difference, so we have the sound, now we need answers to my post.
onewizard is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Thinking if it were an engine problem the noise would be continuous.

Best bet would be for your buddy to take it back to the dealership and let them figure it out.
the problem is that the dealership said thati it's normal and that the components needs some time to settle down

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
First is the engine at temperature, what oil is in use, how much free play do you have in the clutch cable, clutch lever, what happens after 5 minutes of riding and bike in neutral. What is the oil level, what KM are on the motor,has it been in for the first service, ***many questions all which will help point to the problem. I can say it is very easy to have the throttle bodies not connected properly, as they are on a angle , this will cause a air leak and all kinds of problems. Having the clutch cable too tight, will cause the bearing support to ride all the time, warm up is key also. Oil affects the gear box, synthetic makes a huge difference, so we have the sound, now we need answers to my post.
hi, the bike is brand new: 0km and when it is warm the sound seems to disappear.

Last edited by ryu10; 11-24-2018 at 09:51 AM.
ryu10 is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,064
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
the problem is that the dealership said thati it's normal and that the components needs some time to settle down



hi, the bike is brand new: 0km and when it is warm the sound seems to disappear.
That answers a lot, many have said this before, my dealer head Kawasaki trained mechanic told me not to baby it, hit the 7000 to 8000 RPM for short duration's, { 10 to 15 seconds }, to engine brake, not to ride at sustained RPM, keep changing it up. I would recommend that since you own a Versys, to make sure your friend has the clutch free play and throttle cable adjusted properly.
I owned a 07 Versys , now a 2015, both broke in the same way, they use no oil, and I switched to synthetic on the 2015, second oil change.I do all my own service work now, valve shim done at 11,000 KM.
Remember, the dealer said it is normal, could be as I said, a misaligned throttle body, not going to harm the motor, it is covered under warranty. Tell your friend to use ear plugs, I owned a DRZ400S before the Versys, I had over 40,000 miles on it, it always sounded like it was going to fly apart at any minute, it sure could have used a sixth gear.That DRZ motor was shared by Kawasaki in the design, I knew guys with over 100,000 miles on them before rebuilding, something unheard of in the thumper world.
onewizard is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
That answers a lot, many have said this before, my dealer head Kawasaki trained mechanic told me not to baby it, hit the 7000 to 8000 RPM for short duration's, { 10 to 15 seconds }, to engine brake, not to ride at sustained RPM, keep changing it up. I would recommend that since you own a Versys, to make sure your friend has the clutch free play and throttle cable adjusted properly.
I owned a 07 Versys , now a 2015, both broke in the same way, they use no oil, and I switched to synthetic on the 2015, second oil change.I do all my own service work now, valve shim done at 11,000 KM.
Remember, the dealer said it is normal, could be as I said, a misaligned throttle body, not going to harm the motor, it is covered under warranty. Tell your friend to use ear plugs, I owned a DRZ400S before the Versys, I had over 40,000 miles on it, it always sounded like it was going to fly apart at any minute, it sure could have used a sixth gear.That DRZ motor was shared by Kawasaki in the design, I knew guys with over 100,000 miles on them before rebuilding, something unheard of in the thumper world.
the ear plugs are not a solution, tho. I mean, he want to know what cause that bad nois, he is worried obviously.
ryu10 is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,064
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
the ear plugs are not a solution, tho. I mean, he want to know what cause that bad nois, he is worried obviously.
What I am saying, is what the dealer is saying, ride it. I explained the break in from my dealer, who is well known and was sought after by Kawasaki to carry their products. Many have explained this break in , if there was something wrong, do you think the dealer would want the owner to destroy it and need to do repairs under warranty, I don't think so, I have hearing aids and listened to that 3 times, each time raising the volume, you mentioned it went away after warm up. I and many others can tell you that after break in and changing to synthetic the gear changing is much smoother, if you want to ride a versy with easy shifting and no sounds as you are hearing, tell your friend to buy a used one, as I didn't hear anything that would alarm me .
onewizard is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
What I am saying, is what the dealer is saying, ride it. I explained the break in from my dealer, who is well known and was sought after by Kawasaki to carry their products. Many have explained this break in , if there was something wrong, do you think the dealer would want the owner to destroy it and need to do repairs under warranty, I don't think so, I have hearing aids and listened to that 3 times, each time raising the volume, you mentioned it went away after warm up. I and many others can tell you that after break in and changing to synthetic the gear changing is much smoother, if you want to ride a versy with easy shifting and no sounds as you are hearing, tell your friend to buy a used one, as I didn't hear anything that would alarm me .
so do you think that with the usage, will that noise disappear? The thing is i never ever heard it on my Versys when it was brand new, so i don't uderstand why my friend's versys does that.
you can ear the strange noise from second 2 to second 5 of the recording; and from second 11 to second 12. try to listen to it again

About break in: so, don't you suggest to follow the manual? I did my break as manual says: 4000 RPM max until 800km, and than 6000 RPM max until 1600km. Is it bad in that way?
ryu10 is offline  
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 02:55 PM
Member
 
Jay_Chicago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ride the break-in period and see whether it fades. If not, bring it to different dealers. It's a brand new bike. Warranty should cover everything, even if the engine blows. No worries.
Jay_Chicago is offline  
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,064
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
so do you think that with the usage, will that noise disappear? The thing is i never ever heard it on my Versys when it was brand new, so i don't uderstand why my friend's versys does that.
you can ear the strange noise from second 2 to second 5 of the recording; and from second 11 to second 12. try to listen to it again

About break in: so, don't you suggest to follow the manual? I did my break as manual says: 4000 RPM max until 800km, and than 6000 RPM max until 1600km. Is it bad in that way?
Literally over a 100 threads on this forum, the first 100 KM are critical, much discussion on this, if you wait long enough you will find that many of us have used the motoman break in method, which is way above the RPM suggested by the manual, wait for FastEddie or search his posts, 3 Kawasaki Versys break in's , over 150,000 miles , well let him tell you. Here is one of many, and your comment about your bike not sounding like that, well my 07 Versys didn't sound like my 2015, plus there was a mysterious sound which I discovered later as the release of pressure build up in the gas tank.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ighlight=break

Last edited by onewizard; 11-24-2018 at 03:49 PM.
onewizard is offline  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Chicago View Post
Ride the break-in period and see whether it fades. If not, bring it to different dealers. It's a brand new bike. Warranty should cover everything, even if the engine blows. No worries.
The question is: is it normal in the break in period? Because it sound like this noise is not normal at all
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
so do you think that with the usage, will that noise disappear? The thing is i never ever heard it on my Versys when it was brand new, so i don't uderstand why my friend's versys does that.
you can ear the strange noise from second 2 to second 5 of the recording; and from second 11 to second 12. try to listen to it again

About break in: so, don't you suggest to follow the manual? I did my break as manual says: 4000 RPM max until 800km, and than 6000 RPM max until 1600km. Is it bad in that way?
Literally over a 100 threads on this forum, the first 100 KM are critical, much discussion on this, if you wait long enough you will find that many of us have used the motoman break in method, which is way above the RPM suggested by the manual, wait for FastEddie or search his posts, 3 Kawasaki Versys break in's , over 150,000 miles , well let him tell you. Here is one of many, and your comment about your bike not sounding like that, well my 07 Versys didn't sound like my 2015, plus there was a mysterious sound which I discovered later as the release of pressure build up in the gas tank.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ighlight=break
Just curious: how did you solved the tank's pressure issue?
Thanks for the link btw
ryu10 is offline  
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 07:51 PM
Member
 
invader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,840
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Seriously? That's just the sound of a Versys 650 idling too low, and someone whistling beside it... Idle speed should be set to 1,300 rpm.
invader is offline  
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Seriously? That's just the sound of a Versys 650 idling too low, and someone whistling beside it... Idle speed should be set to 1,300 rpm.
Wait, are you sure about that? How is it possible that the bad sound like a verse of a crow is caused by too low idle speed? When the engine is cold, the automatic air increase the idle speed to 1500/2000 RPM, i don't understand how a low idle speed can cause that bad sound.
ryu10 is offline  
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,064
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
My point about the tank pressure was that I never had that on the 07, here is my thread, I can laugh at it now, https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...hlight=running the point is,all the replies are from experienced Versys owners, also to point out there are mistakes in the service manual, no one is perfect. Consider this my last comment in this thread, as the time spent, with favorable weather conditions, the bike would have over 1000 KM on it by now.
onewizard is offline  
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
My point about the tank pressure was that I never had that on the 07, here is my thread, I can laugh at it now, https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...hlight=running the point is,all the replies are from experienced Versys owners, also to point out there are mistakes in the service manual, no one is perfect. Consider this my last comment in this thread, as the time spent, with favorable weather conditions, the bike would have over 1000 KM on it by now.
thank you for your time. have a good ride.

in the meantime i will wait the answer from "invader"
ryu10 is offline  
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:00 AM
Member
 
hawkerjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fresno aka Shake & Bake California
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hey wait...hold the press!

I know what that sound is!

For 2019 Kawasaki installed their new revolutionary fart sucker in the seats of all their bikes.

Sorry guys I could not resist as this thread was getting way too serious...Lol.
Skypilot 69 likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
hawkerjet is offline  
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:39 AM
Member
 
invader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,840
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
Wait, are you sure about that? How is it possible that the bad sound like a verse of a crow is caused by too low idle speed? When the engine is cold, the automatic air increase the idle speed to 1500/2000 RPM, i don't understand how a low idle speed can cause that bad sound.
It doesn't matter what your cold fast idle speed is at, normal warmed up idle speed must be set to 1,300 rpm.
invader is offline  
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
It doesn't matter what your cold fast idle speed is at, normal warmed up idle speed must be set to 1,300 rpm.
Yes, i know that. What i'm saying is this: what is the link between low idle speed (with warm engine) AND that bad noise? I heard that noise when the bike was completely cold anyway, so i don't understand what'is the correlation with normal warmed up idle speed.

In the meantime, this morning I went for a ride and i havn't heard the noise. Could it have been a coincidence yesterday? Maybe the ECU had to make its adjustments or the factory's idle speed was too low like you said, but again: what's the correlation between low idle speed and that awful noise?

I hope i explained myself, i'm not english sorry

Last edited by ryu10; 11-25-2018 at 09:57 AM.
ryu10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome