2019 Versys - New Gauge Swap? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
2019 Versys - New Gauge Swap?

Loving my 2015 Versys 650 ABS since the day we met, but Im always interested and checking in with what new tech is coming out. Kawasaki's just released the plans for the new 2019 Versys 650 (as well as a huge overhaul of the 1000) and I noticed that the new gauge not only is redesigned, it also has a built in gear position indicator. Im going to go to my local store and compare the differences in wiring to my 2015, but i need an answer from someone with more technical experience: could this simply be a software update to our existing dashes? Or would an entire new one be needed?

Everything can be improved with speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 10:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VersexysBC View Post
Loving my 2015 Versys 650 ABS since the day we met, but Im always interested and checking in with what new tech is coming out. Kawasaki's just released the plans for the new 2019 Versys 650 (as well as a huge overhaul of the 1000) and I noticed that the new gauge not only is redesigned, it also has a built in gear position indicator. Im going to go to my local store and compare the differences in wiring to my 2015, but i need an answer from someone with more technical experience: could this simply be a software update to our existing dashes? Or would an entire new one be needed?
I don't know about swapping gauges, but if it is a gear indicator you want I think this is your only course. https://www.kawasaki.ca/accessories/...d-instruments/

Maybe Dale at Big Top would give you a deal. Man, those things are pricey!

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Vonnegut
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:00 AM

I was surprised to hear about a new dash so I googled it and indeed:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17KLE650F_44SGN1DFME00D_C.jpg (54.7 KB, 46 views)

2015 Versys 650

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
I was surprised to hear about a new dash so I googled it and indeed:

Looks EXACTLY like my 2018 dash.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 08:38 AM

I think the change might have been introduced in 2018 (in fact, the pic is from https://www.kawasaki.co.uk/en/produc...w1eDllfCwkODFw and that link is about MY2018) , my 2015 has a different dash

2015 Versys 650
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
LCD displays need to have the symbols built into them, so no I don't believe it could be just a software change which could be applied to your existing instrument cluster.

The gear position can be read from the ECU. There are some inexpensive 3rd party gear position indicators which plug into the ECU diagnostic connector rather than the connector under the front fairing. So it is an option if you want to add it but not pay the crazy OEM price. Apparently the aftermarket units work slightly differently because of how they derive the information but get the job done. One review said it will continue to indicate the gear you were in when you came to a stop, even if you then shift to another gear. But once you move at all it shows the correct gear. But that was on the internet, so who knows how accurate it is. In any case, there is a cheaper option than OEM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
I think the change might have been introduced in 2018 (in fact, the pic is from https://www.kawasaki.co.uk/en/produc...w1eDllfCwkODFw and that link is about MY2018) , my 2015 has a different dash
My 2017 has this dash as well. IIRC, the dash *style* for the 2016 is that same, but does not have the gear position indicator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode