As a point of interest, last week my volt meter (similar to the meter of @onewizard
) began reading lower than normal, the top green LED wasn't illuminating like it usually did. When I got home and did some testing and inspecting, I ultimately found that the 3 white wires from the stator had been mis-routed where they exit the stator cover, by the front sprocket. By me, when I changed the chain and sprockets 4 months and 9000 km ago, and I had been cleaning the area.
Anyway, the protective sleeve over the wires had been slid up to the connector at the top, exposing the wires where they exit the stator cover. The wires had been rubbing against the edge of the stator cover until the insulation was worn, and had eventually been able to short 1 of the wires to the cover (grounding it). This had caused the voltage drop I'd noticed. A degreasing, some liquid electrical tape to seal wth insulation, electrical tape for added protection, and proper positioning of the protective sleeve resolved the issue.
Diagnosis and repair time : under 2 hrs.
Total cost : inexpensive volt meter, sundry supplies, my time.
Productivity / work / riding time lost : none.
An inexpensive volt meter saved me from bigger problems and expense. Performing a close visual inspection with a bright light can be revealing. Pay attention to the correct routing of wires!