Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

2016 valve cover gasket leaking oil

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
2016, 2500miles.

Anyone else seen oil leaking from the valve cover gasket?

Very small amount, mostly the rear and left side (presumably because it's leaning on the sidestand).

#2 ·
Have you cleaned the area REALLY well, then left it on the stand to confirm where the leakage is from?

NONE of my three V650's have leaked oil there ('08, '09 and '15), w/ about 80k miles, 63K kms and 64K kms on them, and SEVERAL valve clearance checks done on each.

IN FACT - NONE have leaked anywhere except the '08, which leaked a bit, near the waterpump, since fixed.

#4 · (Edited)
My guess would be the semi circle piece of gasket that gets siliconed, from riding it will appear at the rear. As to being on the side stand, only if the bike fell into the ditch and is upside down, you have a site glass, the middle is the oil level.
I admit the side-stand theory is far-fetched - trying to guess why it's only leaking on the left side only.

It's very difficult to access the front and back of the valve cover gasket area to clean it. Any suggestions for chemicals to do the trick without damaging plastic, robber hoses, or gasket material?

The most prominent leak was down the back but I couldn't be 100% sure of the source. I wiped it down thoroughly with shop towels and will be riding it this week to learn more.

And yes it's got 2 months remaining under warranty but like to do some basic diagnosis before handing it over to the stealership.

#3 ·
Warranty?

My guess would be the semi circle piece of gasket that gets siliconed, from riding it will appear at the rear. As to being on the side stand, only if the bike fell into the ditch and is upside down, you have a site glass, the middle is the oil level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.