2015 rear sprocket - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

2015 rear sprocket

Hey, it's good to be back. I've be gone from the forum for a few years. I have owned 2 08 Versys and enjoyed them. I bought one with 1/2 the miles my first Versys had. I thought I would take my after market parts off the higher mileage bike and turn the other bike around. I tried to sell it for about 2 years off and on. I gave up and traded both Versys for a 2016 Ninja 650r. It was and even trade and I have been satisfied with the Ninja. I ride back 2 lane roads and the Ninja handles like it's on a track. One thing I found out is that there are very little after market parts for this year Ninja. The other day while looking at Craigslist I came across a dealer that has a 2015 Versys lt for sale. He will take the Ninja and 1500 trade. The Versys is in show room condition. app. 7000 miles. I rode the Versys and I remember the gearing issues. My question is what where people running for the back sprocket? I remember changing to I believe a 43 tooth, for better shifting and power band. Is this correct? also how do you fgeel about the 2015 is there any issues that I would need to know about?

Last edited by wampuspacker; 10-27-2018 at 07:56 PM. Reason: miss spelled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

I run the stock OEM sprockets, 15/46, and they work FINE for me, on dirt or pavement, on my '15 650LT as well as on my '08 650.

NOT many issues w/ the '15 Gen 3.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 06:06 PM

I'll have to agree with Eddie............over two years on the 15' now (12K miles) and no problems of any kind...........well, except for that surprise ice storm I hit the first year of ownership.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:26 PM

I run the factory sprockets. On the highway I'd like a slightly smaller sprocket for lower engine rpms, but on the dirt I'd like a larger sprocket for lower speeds without having to constantly slip the clutch. Maybe I need a bicycle style rear derailleur with 2 different sprockets. ;>) Or, 7 gears in the gearbox to cover both ends of the spectrum.

I may replace the rear sprocket at some point with a slightly smaller one, but maybe not. The stock tooth count is a pretty good compromise. If I never went off pavement I would do the smaller sprocket for sure.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I'll have to agree with Eddie............over two years on the 15' now (12K miles) and no problems of any kind...........well, except for that surprise ice storm I hit the first year of ownership.
I rode my '15 thru a few miles of snow and ice in BC on my last ride of the season there.... It WAS 'sort-of' a surprise.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...de-2018-a.html

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 03:12 PM

I switched to a 44 rear this year after reading alot of posts here on the topic. I usually need to hit the freeway to get to the roads I like to ride and the freeway here is pretty up-tempo. So, freeway speed at slightly lower revs,a little more clutch in first and a little broader in the upper range of the gears. Slightly less crank the throttle zip but still got lots,hardly noticeable. I may try a 43 rear next or 16F/46R ala Mr. Speedy when i need to replace the front although some here say 16F is a pretty tight fit.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 03:21 PM

Garage
I put on a 43T earlier this year and love it. Three things:
1. It doesn't effect starting on a hill or from a stop or whatever, still easy to get going.
2. You don't feel like you have to shift halfway through an intersection.
3. Now I never look for a gear above 6th. In fact on the backroads riding I do I never even get out of 5th. Probably even better on a freeway. Just a little more relaxed overall. I'm glad I didn't do a 44T because it would be even less of a difference...43T is subtle enough IMHO.

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 - Barkbuster hand guards, Hepko & Becker crash bars, Oxford Heated sports grips, Motowerk lowering Kit with Kickstand insert, Shad SH45 Top Case and Brake Light, Shad Versys Top Mount Kit, Superlite 43T Rear Sprocket, National Cycle VStream Sport Touring Windscreen.

Roaming the country around Columbus in ever wider circles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode