• 1 Post By tommyvous59
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 2 Post By Freubel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
O2 sensor Versys MK1

Good afternoon folks,
I just exchanged the muffler from my Versys.
It was equipped with the stock one but in search for a nicer sound i purchased a Leovince underbody from Ebay.
So far so good, fits excellent, the old one didn't really wanna come off which is understandable since it has been there since day 1.
However i ran into a problem with the lambda sensor, it didn't wanna come off the normal way. After some brute force it finally came off but with a few threads destroyed.
So to not destroy the Leovince i'm looking for a replacement sensor with healthy threads.. I did some searching and there are a few people who run it with a dummy plug fooling the fuelsystem thinking there's a sensor onboard. I do however also have a boosterplug which also adds more fuel to the mixture, not sure if the dummy will even add more fuel to the engine making it drown in fuel.
So i'm guessing that's not the way to go.
I found a few original sensors on Ebay but not sure which models all fit the Versys.
Can anyone point me in the right direction ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freubel View Post
Good afternoon folks,
It was equipped with the stock one but in search for a nicer sound i purchased a Leovince underbody from Ebay.
So far so good, fits excellent, the old one didn't really wanna come off which is understandable since it has been there since day 1.
However i ran into a problem with the lambda sensor, it didn't wanna come off the normal way. After some brute force it finally came off but with a few threads destroyed.
So to not destroy the Leovince i'm looking for a replacement sensor with healthy threads.. I did some searching and there are a few people who run it with a dummy plug fooling the fuelsystem thinking there's a sensor onboard. I do however also have a boosterplug which also adds more fuel to the mixture, not sure if the dummy will even add more fuel to the engine making it drown in fuel.
I found a few original sensors on Ebay but not sure which models all fit the Versys.
I would contact Boosterplug and ask them. They are very helpful and will certainly have the right answer for you.
Good luck!
Freubel likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
I would contact Boosterplug and ask them. They are very helpful and will certainly have the right answer for you.
Good luck!
They don't recommend to use the plug without the o2 sensor.
Hence the questions which lambda sensors all fit the MK1

*edit*
I just purchased a used sensor on E-bay but it will take a few days to arrive.
Meanwhile, can it harm the bike to drive with the current setup or will it just consuume more fuel ?
Since i need the bike to get to work and back home...

Last edited by Freubel; 10-21-2018 at 11:13 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile, can it harm the bike to drive with the current setup or will it just consuume more fuel ?
Other than probably running too rich, I can't see any big negative effects.
Again ... I would ask that specific question to Boosterplug ... explaining that you are waiting on a new sensor.

I just shuffle slower.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Chasing Old Threads

Quote:
Good afternoon folks,
Have you considered chasing the old threads of the O2 sensor? That sensor was a European thing for a MK-1
Some machine shops may do it for you for a couple $$
https://www.amazon.com/18mm-Carbon-S.../dp/B0007CNJ2C
quexpress and tommyvous59 like this.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-21-2018 at 12:46 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Have you considered chasing the old threads of the O2 sensor? That sensor was a European thing for a MK-1
Some machine shops may do it for you for a couple $$
https://www.amazon.com/18mm-Carbon-S.../dp/B0007CNJ2C
Hiya Wizard, yes i did think about that but i also kinda destroyed the bolt itself
Guess my 22 spanner isn't very decent, i also bought a special lambda tool on ebay just to make sure i don't destroy the new one when installing.
onewizard and quexpress like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 02:17 PM

Cool You'll be OK!

"When you remove the O2 sensor, the ECU will see the air/fuel ration as being too lean and will just go as rich as the software allows. But it will only do so in the situations where it is trusting the O2sensor signal which is when you ride the bike at steady speeds on the open roads (Closed loop) - this means that you will get the richer mixture where you need it the least and will basically just waste a lot of fuel."

O2 sensor (Lambda sensor) removal and tweaks
Freubel and tommyvous59 like this.

I just shuffle slower.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 04:40 PM

once again, can you put it in a clamp and rethread with a tap and dye kit? just a thought. i don't know how badly you buggered it up.
Freubel likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Anti Seize

Quote:
Hiya Wizard, yes i did think about that but i also kinda destroyed the bolt itself
Guess my 22 spanner isn't very decent, i also bought a special lambda tool on ebay just to make sure i don't destroy the new one when installing.
If you had a perfect thread, would a pair of vise grips work to install? The reason I ask , if you chased that thread, I wouldn't think twice of re-installing it, however I would get a chasing tap , or take both to a machine shop and have both chased. Key to easy assembly and removal is to use something like Kopr Kote Jet-Lube of Canada | Kopr-Kote - Copper/Graphite High Temperature Anti-Seize , I used this for over 30 years in some of the harshest environments, including gas heat treat ovens, mainly in the mining industry, high corrosive , where threaded fittings needed to be cut off with a cutting torch after 3 months, when using Kopr kote, 3 years later fittings would come apart. Used on stainless to stainless threading, prevents galling. Pay attention to the temperature rating, not all anti seize are rated for 1800'F, including some of Jet-Lube products.

FYI the adjusters for tightening / adjusting the chain, I use it on those bolts, due to moisture and possibly having the swing arm fill with water ( it has happened on this forum), I had the brake side seize on me( 2015 650 abs), luckily I didn't panic, liberal amounts of wd40, and a few others, getting a small amount of movement, tighten / loosen/ tighten/ more penetrating oil/ repeat--I worked it free. Cleaned the threads and chased the swing arm, put liberal amounts of Kopr Kote on.
Freubel likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-22-2018 at 09:53 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvous59 View Post
once again, can you put it in a clamp and rethread with a tap and dye kit? just a thought. i don't know how badly you buggered it up.
I don't have a clamp and the head is pretty much round. I allread ordered a "new" one from Ebay, should be here in a few days
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
If you had a perfect thread, would a pair of vise grips work to install? The reason I ask , if you chased that thread, I wouldn't think twice of re-installing it, however I would get a chasing tap , or take both to a machine shop and have both chased. Key to easy assembly and removal is to use something like Kopr Kote Jet-Lube of Canada | Kopr-Kote - Copper/Graphite High Temperature Anti-Seize , I used this for over 30 years in some of the harshest environments, including gas heat treat ovens, mainly in the mining industry, high corrosive , where threaded fittings needed to be cut off with a cutting torch after 3 months, when using Kopr kote, 3 years later fittings would come apart. Used on stainless to stainless threading, prevents galling. Pay attention to the temperature rating, not all anti seize are rated for 1800'F, including some of Jet-Lube products.

FYI the adjusters for tightening / adjusting the chain, I use it on those bolts, due to moisture and possibly having the swing arm fill with water ( it has happened on this forum), I had the brake side seize on me( 2015 650 abs), luckily I didn't panic, liberal amounts of wd40, and a few others, getting a small amount of movement, tighten / loosen/ tighten/ more penetrating oil/ repeat--I worked it free. Cleaned the threads and chased the swing arm, put liberal amounts of Kopr Kote on.
I have copper grease standing by for the new one together with the lambda tool it should be a walk in the park now !
Did the trip to work yesterday and funny enough i couldn't sense anything different from my normal commute.
Attached Images
File Type: png Kroon.png (10.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Lambda.jpg (4.7 KB, 5 views)
onewizard and quexpress like this.

Last edited by Freubel; 10-22-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode