3Likes
  • 1 Post By JimK
  • 1 Post By BLACK DOG
  • 1 Post By DaveC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rack install problem

I have a 07 Versys and I've been chasing a rear rack for a while. The local dealers were all quoting $300+ for Ventura and Givi (Australia=rip off) but a new Motech rack popped up on ebay for a decent price, but it was for a 2010 model. I asked a few people and they all said it would fit.
So I bought it. The rack arrived and I've tried to install it. I've quickly realised there is no way in hell it will fit.... Either I've done something stupid or the 2010 is completely incompatible with the 2007 model...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181016_160637_1539668726860.jpg (28.4 KB, 53 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
By the looks of it, you got a problem and may have to do some modification to the last two bolt on extensions.

Sorry man, sometimes these thing do happen and we find a way around it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Yeah this sucks... Dam Kawasaki... Not really sure how to fix this, might be able to put some kind of extender for the rear bolts to mount on. Little area to play in though. I don't have a welder either so I can't relocate the mounts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
07 Versys V46 Topcase & V35

Top case mount is independent of side cases as to mounting hardware

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 10:57 AM

Garage
I`m just wondering if you could take 2 short flat steel bars and drill a couple holes in them and attach it that way on the back end?
turn8a likes this.

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
I`m just wondering if you could take 2 short flat steel bars and drill a couple holes in them and attach it that way on the back end?
I was thinking the same thing! Get two pieces of steel, put bolts on the end of the rack holes, then through two drilled holes in the steel bars. Unless this will get in the way of the seat securing I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

***Edit to add...make sure you line up the top case mounting plate with the rack, then measure out the steel bar pieces. And you may have to reinforce the mounting plate to help avoid a shifting/swivel effect.

Last edited by Devilsfan; 10-16-2018 at 08:33 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
rear rack mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
I was thinking the same thing! Get two pieces of steel, put bolts on the end of the rack holes, then through two drilled holes in the steel bars. Unless this will get in the way of the seat securing I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

***Edit to add...make sure you line up the top case mounting plate with the rack, then measure out the steel bar pieces. And you may have to reinforce the mounting plate to help avoid a shifting/swivel effect.
If you go the added tabs & bolt route, I'd get it all lined up & see if there's a muffler shop near by to have them do some welding. Four decades in steel fabrication has taught me that if you only have one bolt at a connection you've made a hinge.
Devilsfan likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I'm not sure if this will work, there is very little space under the back bolt holes to put a steel tab/connector. I might be able to get the back holes joins removed and re-welded but this is suddenly getting expensive..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopz View Post
Yeah I'm not sure if this will work, there is very little space under the back bolt holes to put a steel tab/connector. I might be able to get the back holes joins removed and re-welded but this is suddenly getting expensive..
The rack I posted photos of, I almost gave away, the guy buying my topcase had a conny and didn't want it, another member bought it on the forum. The rack you have was meant for a MK-2, I posted as many photos as I could find, you will notice it uses the existing racking on the bike and only 1 of the hand rail / seat bolts, on each side.
I did a google search, Givi Rack, all kinds of photos , nothing that I could find resembling what you have, basically two pieces of scrap metal, also from appearance,plus some brackets / hardware is missing possibly.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-17-2018 at 09:16 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:30 PM

Looks like it is the SW Motech Rack for the 2010-2014 Versys, minus the adapter plate that the case would attach to, as that changes depending on the type of case you are attempting to use.

https://sw-motech.com/en/bike/KAWASA...2572006207.htm (Part number GPT.08.714.15000/B)

The above link confirms what you've already discovered...it doesn't fit. Sorry. There is a SW Motech rack for the 07-09 Versys, but it has a different part number (GPT.08.391.20003/B).
https://sw-motech.com/en/bike/KAWASA...2572036464.htm

The rack posted by onewizard is the FZ447 (Givi) / KZ447 (Kappa) rack, which is a completely different mounting system.

Dave C
onewizard likes this.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

Last edited by DaveC; 10-17-2018 at 09:34 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Yep that's it, mine has the backplate. Weird how they changed this, the 2 models have the same seat, mount and tail yet they changed the grab rails...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopz View Post
Yep that's it, mine has the backplate. Weird how they changed this, the 2 models have the same seat, mount and tail yet they changed the grab rails...
PROBABLY because the Gen 1 passenger grab-rails have a 'tendency' to crack....

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode