• 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 2 Post By Kyle E
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By SteveJ
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

At least the tow truck driver was nice...

So about that clutch cable crunchy sound last week. Riding home from work, went crunch and dead. Cable snapped in half someplace in there. Was able to get it on the side of the road and call the tow truck. Just checked my tracking number new cable shows up tomorrow! Almost the best timing.....

invader and onewizard like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
So about that clutch cable crunchy sound last week. Riding home from work, went crunch and dead. Cable snapped in half someplace in there. Was able to get it on the side of the road and call the tow truck. Just checked my tracking number new cable shows up tomorrow! Almost the best timing.....

Dang that is a bummer the cable broke like that it seems like they must have some defective cables

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kyle E likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 11:30 PM

Man I hate it when that happens.

At least you got home safely.

The nerve of that dastardly cable. Just who does he think he is to give up the ghost when out on a ride. Totally uncivilized. Could not wait til he got you got back home and in the garage to quit.

Think it's time to call your union rep!!!
Kyle E likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest View Post
Dang that is a bummer the cable broke like that it seems like they must have some defective cables
Yeah they had a part number change as someone pointed out in the original thread. It only lasted 23,000~ miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post

Think it's time to call your union rep!!!
I'll cut it some slack as it gave me plenty of warning that it was going to happen. If it would have just lasted one more day the new cable would be here. Man I got to drive my truck to work and park like a normal human being....the indignity!
onewizard and hawkerjet like this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

Glad you are safely home. I do change clutch cable very 20k Km or so, depending where i headed..
Kyle E likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
... Man I got to drive my truck to work and park like a normal human being....the indignity!
....the Horror, the Horror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Glad you are safely home. I do change clutch cable very 20k Km or so, depending where i headed..
That SEEMS excessive to me - the one on my '08 lasted around 55 or 65,000 MILES, and had NEVER been lubed till I noticed a broken wire near the adjuster around 45,000....

I lube them more frequently NOW. FYI the clutch-cable in my '09 when it was written-off at 62,790 kms was the ORIGINAL one, and my '15 (at 63,250 kms) is ALSO on its ORIGINAL one!

I DO carry a spare cable on each Versys....

quexpress likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
....the Horror, the Horror!

I DO carry a spare cable on each Versys....
Man it added 45 minutes to my day driving the truck! Im used to being able to bop in and out on the freeway in stalled traffic (not splitting) and parking ugh I had to park on the 6th floor!!!!!! I didn't know they went that high!!!

BTW man been meaning to ask, you ever get to Vegas when you are in the AZ months? If so let me know.

Just got done with the swap and a test ride. Picture of the snapped cable shortly.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:13 PM

With 51k miles on it, time to order a new cable and keep the old one as a spare.
Kyle E likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

This is the lever end of the cable. Think it must have got bound up in there some how. I have a bit of a bother getting it out of the lever. Greased the heck out of the new one before installing it. Think Ill add this to my every other oil change check list.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...BTW man been meaning to ask, you ever get to Vegas when you are in the AZ months? If so let me know....
I get there every few years, either going thru (headed for Death Valley) or passing by (after riding Monument Valley thru to Panguitch, UT and up to Cedar Breaks).

Haven't planned any rides... YET!

Kyle E likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode