Tyres pressure - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Tyres pressure

From some time that I felt a kind of squishy feeling from the tyres, specially when cornering a bit harder.

Since I didn't see the tyre pressure since the 1000km maintnance (4500km ago!) I thought they could be a bit deflated. I know... I should check it more often. And with my Cb500x I even crashed once due to low tyre pressure.

But I was surprised to see that the pressure was high! It was about 2.6 in the front and 3.2 in the rear instead of the 2.25/2.5 recomended.

Do you see any reason for this? Where they just careless to put such a different preassure?

What preassure do you put in to you tyres? Why (If different than stock settings)?

Do you do it at home? It's a pain to do it in the gas station due to the hoose angle.

I've seen a portable compressor recomended by MC Rider If I'm not mistaken. What do you use/recomend?

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 12:11 AM

If you never inflated, check the pressure by another manometer, maybe the one you used failed.
Yep it isn't so easy, you can do..
You could also use a column pump with manometer for bicycles

I have one like this for my MTB and it works very fine .
I ride 2.25/2.5.

V

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator

i use 32psi front and 36psi back.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 07:40 AM

Garage
Tyres pressure

I run 37 psi (2.55 bar) front and 42 psi (2.89 bar) rear on Shinko 705 tires. This results in a firm ride with good tire wear and fuel economy.

I have a large air compressor in my home workshop (for pneumatic tools) and carry a small 12V compressor on the bike, not sure the brand. MC Rider is a great YouTube channel!

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.

Last edited by 16VGTIDave; 09-28-2018 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Added info
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 08:30 AM

I have a compressor at home for airing up tires.

For on the road I carry a top off compressor. Light weight and inexpensive. It's a regular part of my tire kit for fixing flats.

Just plug it into your 12v power port or connect to your battery terminals and you can inflate a low tire at home or on the road.

I won't address the tire pressure issue cuz it would open can of worms just like discussing engine oil does.

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-40020-T.../dp/B002ZC1EOM

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 04:11 PM

Garage
If it's been 4500km since you checked the pressure, and it's too high now, it was way too high when they were aired up last. I use 33psi front and 36psi rear because that's what the manual states, and check them about every two weeks, and I ride 5 days a week.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 10:09 AM

I run 2 lbs PSI under what the tire sidewall says max pressure is................
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 10:32 AM

Nuno, motorcycle tires are different than automobile tires. They need to operate at the proper temperature as well as the proper pressure. Too high of a pressure will leave them cold for a long time which will reduce their traction. You also run the risk of blowout from high pressure. Too low of a pressure can cause them to get too hot which will damage them.

The tires will warm up as you ride and then the pressure goes up several psi. That's maybe .2 Bar increase for you.

I run the specified pressure for normal daily riding and touring. I have two very good pressure gauges which agree within 1 psi (.07 Bar). I don't worry if the tires are 2 or 3 psi too full or 1 psi too low.

For off road I reduce the pressures quite a bit depending on the surface conditions. For basic dirt roads I use 28psi (1.93 Bar) front and back. For more challenging off road trails I use 24 psi (1.65 Bar). The tires get much better traction on loose surfaces with lower pressure, and they don't heat up because the riding is slow speed.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NunoMt View Post
...What pressure do you put in to you tyres? Why (If different than stock settings)?

Do you do it at home?...
I run 36psi F, 42psi R, ALL the time, EVEN on dirt, as lowering the pressures can put your rims at risk of breaking IF you hit something, at speed. I do NOT ride in mud!

I TOO have my own compressor, so I just checked the tires about an hour ago. It becomes MUCH easier if you put a set of 90 degree valve stems on (MINE Came from China via EBAY.).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 08:33 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i personally run 36-38 PSI front and 32-35 PSI rear . as for pump i carry a slime brand 12v pump in my trunk box and at home have a shop compressor

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode