Valve clearance thank you and questions. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Jack of Heats JoH
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By tommyvous59
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 321
Valve clearance thank you and questions.

First of all a Big thank you to forum members for all the great posts on this subject. I would not have done this without the great info provided in the forum. So far so good, valves were on the tight side so I followed the steps suggested to sand the shims down, all went well and now clearance is near max as recommended. Time to put it back together.

1) The manual suggests all gaskets and O rings involved be replaced. Is this necessary? They look fine so my guess is this is just standard Kawi recomendation but not really needed.

2) Manual says Cylinder head cover bolt washers should be metal side up. I am almost positive mine were rubber side up. Is the manual wrong? 2011 model.
Kyle E likes this.
Jack of Heats JoH is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 16,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
First of all a Big thank you to forum members for all the great posts on this subject. I would not have done this without the great info provided in the forum. So far so good, valves were on the tight side so I followed the steps suggested to sand the shims down, all went well and now clearance is near max as recommended. Time to put it back together.

1) The manual suggests all gaskets and O rings involved be replaced. Is this necessary? They look fine so my guess is this is just standard Kawi recomendation but not really needed.

2) Manual says Cylinder head cover bolt washers should be metal side up. I am almost positive mine were rubber side up. Is the manual wrong? 2011 model.
1. Be careful. I've NEVER had to replace any of 'em.

2. Just checked my '15 SERVICE MANUAL - it says "...Cylinder head cover bolt washers should be metal side up...". I've "done" valves on my three V650s many times, and have just done what the MANUAL says to do, and that's on TWO GEN 1s as well as the Gen 3.

onewizard, tommyvous59 and Kyle E like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,205
Friction / Torque/ Dry / Wet/ wear surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
1. Be careful. I've NEVER had to replace any of 'em.

2. Just checked my '15 SERVICE MANUAL - it says "...Cylinder head cover bolt washers should be metal side up...". I've "done" valves on my three V650s many times, and have just done what the MANUAL says to do, and that's on TWO GEN 1s as well as the Gen 3.

The reason for metal up, is the head of the bolt creates friction, the rubber could be easily damaged while turning the head of the bolt, if the washer were to bind on the valve cover. With the rubber side down against the valve cover, two things occur, one the washer acts as a seal, prevents the washer from turning while torquing and allows some expansion when the motor heats up, I guess that is 3.Proper torque at ambient temperature, also keep in mind, whendoing the valve shim check, keep all bolts in a separate container, oil free , this applies to the casting threads as well, oil free, I have used brake cleaner to remove traces of oil. Many never consider the original assembly of the motor, the oil was added after assembly, all bolts were oil free
Wet torque ( as in lubed threads) is about 75 % that of dry torque, so very easy to strip aluminum threads if you aren't careful . https://www.antiseize.com/PDFs/torqu...ifications.pdf
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 09-28-2018 at 11:09 AM.
onewizard is offline  
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
The reason for metal up, is the head of the bolt creates friction, the rubber could be easily damaged while turning the head of the bolt, if the washer were to bind on the valve cover. With the rubber side down against the valve cover, tow things occur, one the washer acts as a seal, prevents the washer from turning while torquing and allows some expansion when the motor heats up, I guess that is 3.Proper torque at ambient temperature, also keep in mind, whendoing the valve shim check, keep all bolts in a separate container, oil free , this applies to the casting threads as well, oil free, I have used brake cleaner to remove traces of oil. Many never consider the original assembly of the motor, the oil was added after assembly, all bolts were oil free
Wet torque ( as in lubed threads) is about 75 % that of dry torque, so very easy to strip aluminum threads if you aren't careful . https://www.antiseize.com/PDFs/torqu...ifications.pdf
Excellent! Great info thank you
Jack of Heats JoH is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 10:20 PM
Member
 
tommyvous59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: extreme south texas
Posts: 278
if the gasket is serviceable then reuse it. just be careful disassembling. I'm coming up on the second valve check and no problems with the original gasket. used the original cover bolts and washers as well.
onewizard likes this.
tommyvous59 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome