Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Center stand for my Kawasaki Versys 650 YES or NO?

19K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  dadsafrantic 
#1 ·
I’ve read other Versys owners say that installing an aftermarket center stand is the best modification you can do on your Versys...

What’s your opinion!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I wish I had one on mine, but don't know if I would use it much. Even if I had one, Id still use the paddock stand for working in the garage. Id really only use it on trips to oil the chain, but I can do the same with a foot long pipe with a notch in it to lift the bike, or if I want to get fancy buy a SnapJack

I personally would spend the money on bark busters and engine guards first. Those seem to be the best investments I have made.

#6 ·
:welcome: aboard!

...or if I want to get fancy buy a SnapJack ....
Or get an old crutch and a foot of two-sided VELCRO, and "modify" it:

and here I'm using it on the Alaska Hwy, to lube my chain:

One of the first mods I made, use it for maintenance & when I'm camping. Feels more stable if you are parking on soft soil
A BIGGER sidestand foot works PDG, for LESS $$$!

#4 ·
My opinion is no, but it totally depends on your use of the bike.

I put a large foot on the sidestand so it won’t sink into softer surfaces like hot parking lot surfaces. That covers one potential use for a center stand. A track stand for maintenance solves another potential center stand function. For jobs like chain maintenance while travelling I use a pack-jack.

I’ve had a center stand on other bikes but found them difficult to use. At first I cursed the first bike that didn’t have the center stand but now I am happy not to have the extra weight. Also, when riding off pavement the center stand could become a safety problem.

If you’re only going to ride on paved roads and you park on level surfaces you may get utility from the center stand.

#8 ·
#9 ·
I have an HB center stand on my '15.

This bike is hyper easy to raise on the CS compared to the one liter Connie that I had.

Aside from the obvious uses it makes the bike level for easier packing when traveling with my "kit". I can also pop the trunk off and have a level table. I'm in the design stage of possibly using a hinged plastic cutting board to make the table much larger, just slide into the front hooks. Tables are not available everywhere that I camp.

#10 ·
Pro:
- can raise rear wheel to lube chain or other maint. task if you are away from home, stranded, etc.
- can more easily park bike upright rather than leaned on side stand

Con:
- ~4x cost compared to spool stand
- extra ~25lb weight is always with you, although placed low
- does not hold bike for maintenance as well as spool stand
- reduced ground clearance over curbs and big bumps

I've owned two bikes now without center stands. I do not miss them with a spool stand and prefer the spool stand for maintenance work.

There is no right answer. If you are a nomad you'll no doubt want a center stand but if not may not need or want one.

#11 ·
I ordered a Snap Jack from the 'zilla. I've always admired the homespun ingenuity of the sawed-off crutch but liked the idea of the lever action of the Snap Jack. We will see. It's nice that it folds a bit smaller than a pipe stand and is certainly lighter than a center stand.

My paddock stand will likely be the go-to for shop work and the Snap Jack is intended for stowing in one of my travel cases.

#15 ·
I ordered a Snap Jack from the 'zilla. I've always admired the homespun ingenuity of the sawed-off crutch but liked the idea of the lever action of the Snap Jack. We will see. It's nice that it folds a bit smaller than a pipe stand and is certainly lighter than a center stand.
I did the same but modified the end of the snap-jack to mate with my rear spool as the ABS wire is kinda in the way.Solid connection,good for all rear wheel maintenance.

Attachments

#14 ·
I'm a new Versys owner, A SW Motech center stand, engine guard, and crash bars were my first mods. Luckily I bought all the same parts due to all 3 having mounting points in common and i got the right hardware and spacers to make the 3 work together. I like the center stand so far but it had to get onto my smooth garage floor. It tends to slide on smooth surfaces as you push the bike back on to it.

#18 ·
Update: I ended up installing an Hepco & Becker center stand... it constantly needs the main bolts to be retightened & it weighs a lot! The SW Motech looked clean but there are reviews saying it’s got problems too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.