Center stand for my Kawasaki Versys 650 YES or NO? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Center stand for my Kawasaki Versys 650 YES or NO?

Iíve read other Versys owners say that installing an aftermarket center stand is the best modification you can do on your Versys...

Whatís your opinion!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I wish I had one on mine, but don't know if I would use it much. Even if I had one, Id still use the paddock stand for working in the garage. Id really only use it on trips to oil the chain, but I can do the same with a foot long pipe with a notch in it to lift the bike, or if I want to get fancy buy a SnapJack

I personally would spend the money on bark busters and engine guards first. Those seem to be the best investments I have made.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 08:19 AM

One of the first mods I made, use it for maintenance & when I'm camping. Feels more stable if you are parking on soft soil

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My opinion is no, but it totally depends on your use of the bike.

I put a large foot on the sidestand so it wonít sink into softer surfaces like hot parking lot surfaces. That covers one potential use for a center stand. A track stand for maintenance solves another potential center stand function. For jobs like chain maintenance while travelling I use a pack-jack.

Iíve had a center stand on other bikes but found them difficult to use. At first I cursed the first bike that didnít have the center stand but now I am happy not to have the extra weight. Also, when riding off pavement the center stand could become a safety problem.

If youíre only going to ride on paved roads and you park on level surfaces you may get utility from the center stand.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 10:15 AM

I wouldíve liked one, would make basic maintenance a bit less of a hassle

Rub some dirt on it, it will stop bleeding eventually
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
...or if I want to get fancy buy a SnapJack ....
Or get an old crutch and a foot of two-sided VELCRO, and "modify" it:

and here I'm using it on the Alaska Hwy, to lube my chain:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikelly View Post
One of the first mods I made, use it for maintenance & when I'm camping. Feels more stable if you are parking on soft soil
A BIGGER sidestand foot works PDG, for LESS $$$!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
You were actually the inspiration for my aluminium pipe. I saw your crutch on a post a year ago.

I had some thicker wall 1" tube crushed both ends notched one to fit the rear spindle and bobs your uncle. No more hoping there is another biker when I stop for gas and its time to oil on a trip. I mean even a Harley guy will come push for you while you squirt (that sounded dirty). But no more worry I can do it alone.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Raising Versys 650 / Repairing Tire

Yes a center stand would be nice, however my XL250 and my DRZ400S didn't have them, I had a Versys 07 , now a 2015 Versys 650. I can raise both the front and rear tire with my prop stand https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ght=prop+stand

Also there is a thread on various stands https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ght=prop+stand
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 01:06 PM

I have an HB center stand on my '15.

This bike is hyper easy to raise on the CS compared to the one liter Connie that I had.

Aside from the obvious uses it makes the bike level for easier packing when traveling with my "kit". I can also pop the trunk off and have a level table. I'm in the design stage of possibly using a hinged plastic cutting board to make the table much larger, just slide into the front hooks. Tables are not available everywhere that I camp.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Pro:
- can raise rear wheel to lube chain or other maint. task if you are away from home, stranded, etc.
- can more easily park bike upright rather than leaned on side stand

Con:
- ~4x cost compared to spool stand
- extra ~25lb weight is always with you, although placed low
- does not hold bike for maintenance as well as spool stand
- reduced ground clearance over curbs and big bumps

I've owned two bikes now without center stands. I do not miss them with a spool stand and prefer the spool stand for maintenance work.

There is no right answer. If you are a nomad you'll no doubt want a center stand but if not may not need or want one.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 06:51 PM

I ordered a Snap Jack from the 'zilla. I've always admired the homespun ingenuity of the sawed-off crutch but liked the idea of the lever action of the Snap Jack. We will see. It's nice that it folds a bit smaller than a pipe stand and is certainly lighter than a center stand.

My paddock stand will likely be the go-to for shop work and the Snap Jack is intended for stowing in one of my travel cases.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Its is termed a Versatile bike, than Center Stand in a must for long tour. YES!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 10:20 PM

Garage
Opinions vary. But that was the first mod I installed. I purchased the T-rex Center Stand.
Which i do not regret it one bit.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 10:32 PM

Garage
I'm a new Versys owner, A SW Motech center stand, engine guard, and crash bars were my first mods. Luckily I bought all the same parts due to all 3 having mounting points in common and i got the right hardware and spacers to make the 3 work together. I like the center stand so far but it had to get onto my smooth garage floor. It tends to slide on smooth surfaces as you push the bike back on to it.

2014 crf250L
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVerde View Post
I ordered a Snap Jack from the 'zilla. I've always admired the homespun ingenuity of the sawed-off crutch but liked the idea of the lever action of the Snap Jack. We will see. It's nice that it folds a bit smaller than a pipe stand and is certainly lighter than a center stand.
I did the same but modified the end of the snap-jack to mate with my rear spool as the ABS wire is kinda in the way.Solid connection,good for all rear wheel maintenance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Modified snapjack.jpg (59.7 KB, 65 views)
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
I did the same but modified the end of the snap-jack to mate with my rear spool as the ABS wire is kinda in the way.Solid connection,good for all rear wheel maintenance.
What was the mod you made? It looks like you've mounted the top piece with the "U" channel out instead of "in". Were you able to keep the soft plastic intact on the top piece? I have smaller spools vs standard size, so I'm not sure if that will affect performance.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVerde View Post
What was the mod you made? It looks like you've mounted the top piece with the "U" channel out instead of "in". Were you able to keep the soft plastic intact on the top piece? I have smaller spools vs standard size, so I'm not sure if that will affect performance.
I removed their bracket and then used a round file to cut a semicircle in the top of the jack to match the circumference of my rear spool.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakater View Post
Iíve read other Versys owners say that installing an aftermarket center stand is the best modification you can do on your Versys...

Whatís your opinion!?

Update: I ended up installing an Hepco & Becker center stand... it constantly needs the main bolts to be retightened & it weighs a lot! The SW Motech looked clean but there are reviews saying itís got problems too!

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
:

and here I'm using it on the Alaska Hwy, to lube my chain:
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you get the bike up on the crutch?
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave31410 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you get the bike up on the crutch?
Dead EASY! Sidestand down, bike front brakes LOCKED by the Velcro strap, then from the right side I put my left shoulder to the area where the passenger 'grab-rails' are, then gently push UP until I can slide the crutch into the spool.

EASY PEASY (and I'm a little old man - 76 yrs old.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode