Clutch slipping after install. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By David P
  • 1 Post By Brad906

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Clutch slipping after install. (FIXED)

Installed new EBC Race Clutch and heavy duty springs and now the clutch is slipping worse than before I changed the friction plates.

Is it possible for the lower clutch lever to be 360 degress out? It seems to have hardly any resistance to being pulled to disengage. I'm a doofus when it comes to adjusting cable but even with purposeful loads of slack it doesn't tug hard to get back to fully engaged position.

The problem with owning a Versys is if you want to replace it with noticeable improvement, you either need a Ninja 1000 or a Husqvarna 501.

Last edited by David P; 09-09-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
...It seems to have hardly any resistance to being pulled to disengage....
That suggests to me that your clutch (cable) is VERY badly adjusted.

From the factory, MOST Kawis come w/ the clutch adjusted so that the 'friction-point' is FAR from the handle-bars, meaning you ONLY have to move the lever a VERY SMALL distance to 'slip' your clutch, MEANING your clutch is VERY close to slipping all the time, w/ ANY amount of wear!

I adjust MINE (and have done it to other's Kawis) to where that 'friction-point' is CLOSE to the bars, so it just works better. Here's what my adjuster looks like (about 1/4" of threads showing):

I recommend you try it that way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8240437copy.jpg (229.7 KB, 9 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
That suggests to me that your clutch (cable) is VERY badly adjusted.

From the factory, MOST Kawis come w/ the clutch adjusted so that the 'friction-point' is FAR from the handle-bars, meaning you ONLY have to move the lever a VERY SMALL distance to 'slip' your clutch, MEANING your clutch is VERY close to slipping all the time, w/ ANY amount of wear!

I adjust MINE (and have done it to other's Kawis) to where that 'friction-point' is CLOSE to the bars, so it just works better. Here's what my adjuster looks like (about 1/4" of threads showing):

I recommend you try it that way.
My clutch cable was already maxed out in both directions, completely buried on both adjusters before I finally decided I must need a new clutch.

I took some liberties and i'm basically going to have to re-do everything but take the clutch pack out again tomorrow. I'm going to replace the clutch cable to start with, I have one already anyway and its easy to do when you have it disconnected(that ****ing mounting bracket on the top of the case is mofo-sumbitch to get both bolts off of, don't let anyone tell you different!)

I'm also going to compare the sizes of all the springs to the originals too eliminate the possibility I left a soft spring causing uneven clutch pressure. Anyway I'm in texas and today is hot as hell, so I'll lay it back over tomorrow.

Pics form today:

The reason for the season:

Taking its nap in preparation for it's surgery:

Some motorcycle guts, All put back together again:
invader and onewizard like this.

The problem with owning a Versys is if you want to replace it with noticeable improvement, you either need a Ninja 1000 or a Husqvarna 501.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

David P - FWIW - the clutch is ORIGINAL on my '08 (79,042 miles) altho' I replaced the cable; my '09 had 62,790 kms on its ORIGINAL clutch [AND cable!] when it was 'written-off'; and my '15 has 62,xxx kms on its ORIGINAL clutch [AND cable!] TOO.

It STILL sounds to me as if you had a mis-adjusted cable causing your issues.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
David P - FWIW - the clutch is ORIGINAL on my '08 (79,042 miles) altho' I replaced the cable; my '09 had 62,790 kms on its ORIGINAL clutch [AND cable!] when it was 'written-off'; and my '15 has 62,xxx kms on its ORIGINAL clutch [AND cable!] TOO.

It STILL sounds to me as if you had a mis-adjusted cable causing your issues.

I was hurtful on the clutch, I'm a large guy and I used it for hours in technical terrain before I lowered the gearing(after realizing my clutch was getting eaten too fast.)

Anyway I replaced the cable and it felt alot better but the clutch was still slipping.

So I took it apart again, measured the stock springs against the HD ones and they were 1/4" -1/2" shorter. So I replaced all the stock springs and put it back together. Started out the clutch didn't have enough room to disengage when released but after some adjustment I got it dialed in and it was still an easier pull than the previous cable and stock springs.

Now onto the bad news... Clutch is still slipping. I'm afraid I've either bought crap friction plates or I need to replace additional clutch components. Bike is still useable but anything besides moderate throttle the clutch slips and I get an engine rev party.

So now its onto whether I buy new oem plates and rings or just buy the components I haven't replaced yet like the steel rings(then onto the clutch basket if that doesn't work.)

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 03:54 AM

Is your clutch cable properly adjusted for sufficient slack and free-play to allow full clutch engagement?

"I put in an EBC sbk Kevlar clutch and plates along with the stiffer clutch springs. The clutch grabs good its just when I try and go full throttle the rpms shoot up and the bike doesn't really accelerate."

"Well thanks for all the input and information guys. My clutch was way too tight! Now its not slipping when I give more throttle. It's actually accelerating properly!"

Last edited by onewizard; 09-04-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Redirect to another forum that draws members away , c/w advertising, no longer allowed, sorry!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Is your clutch cable properly adjusted for sufficient slack and free-play to allow full clutch engagement?

"I put in an EBC sbk Kevlar clutch and plates along with the stiffer clutch springs. The clutch grabs good its just when I try and go full throttle the rpms shoot up and the bike doesn't really accelerate."

"Well thanks for all the input and information guys. My clutch was way too tight! Now its not slipping when I give more throttle. It's actually accelerating properly!"
I've adjusted it all the way to being unable to disengage and it didn't solve the issue. I think my error was skimping out on the plates, $45 for barnet steels I'll grab em and throw em in next weekend.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 05:25 PM

Garage
Sounds like an assembly issue to me. I would advise another set off experienced eyes before simply buying more parts. "Bad" ebc plates are highly unlikely. Just my .02

*Added: Did your basket have grooves? Are the steel plates oriented correctly, smooth outer edge facing"in"? Lower arm oriented properly? You mentioned 360 out in the open but it wasn't addressed again.
invader likes this.

Brad, Suwanee Ga.
'09 V650, several others too!

Last edited by Brad906; 09-04-2018 at 05:50 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
I've adjusted it all the way to being unable to disengage and it didn't solve the issue. I think my error was skimping out on the plates, $45 for barnet steels I'll grab em and throw em in next weekend.
All clutch plates are fiber... Did you not reinstall the bottom friction steel disc and all original steel plates between your fiber plates? EBC are excellent quality. You likely left a crucial part out.

Last edited by invader; 09-04-2018 at 06:09 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad906 View Post
Sounds like an assembly issue to me. I would advise another set off experienced eyes before simply buying more parts. "Bad" ebc plates are highly unlikely. Just my .02

*Added: Did your basket have grooves? Are the steel plates oriented correctly, smooth outer edge facing"in"? Lower arm oriented properly? You mentioned 360 out in the open but it wasn't addressed again.
I looked up EBC reputation and it seems to be stellar so I'll assume the issue is elsewhere. I understand the lower arm better now, it wasn't off in the the first place and just needs to be on the left(rearward side) when the clutch cover is put on.

I"m thinking the steel was cooked, which others have suggested sanding the steel but I'd hate to sand down warped or worn disc and still have a problem so I'll just buy new ones and crack it open a third time.

Last edited by David P; 09-04-2018 at 06:41 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
All clutch plates are fiber... Did you not reinstall the bottom friction steel disc and all original steel plates between your fiber plates? EBC are excellent quality. You likely left a crucial part out.
I agree about EBC friction plates upon further review, but I'm talking about buying new steel discs which I have not replaced yet.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up

New steel discs put in ...

and ...

...FIXED!

Now with 10% reduced gearing, EBC kevlar racing friction plates and HD springs and Barnett Steels! Never miss an opportunity to upgrade!

I was able to find this OEM clutch instruction for ER-6N that kept me on the right track:
http://mototh.com/files/kawasaki/ER6...-Manual-EN.pdf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode