Versys Stator Questions - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Versys Stator Questions

Hey Folks,
New to the forum. Not currently a Versys owner, but I'm considering a new V650 or V1000.
Reading through the "Series Regulator / Why Bother??" thread makes me a bit apprehensive though.
Is stator failure an inevitability on the Versys?
Is this a feature of all the Versys years and models?
Is there a certain milage this takes place?
Just curious.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 08:49 PM

It's kinda like putting overflow tubes on Connie carbbies or upgrading the dohickey on a KLR. Relatively minor operations/improvements to stave off a major issue. Although a burned stator isn't quite the results that you would get if you are unlucky enough to suffer the affects that can happen by not doing the dohickey or overflow tubes. In those instances you may very well grenade the engine.

It doesn't happen to everybody but it happens often enough for a prudent person to consider it. The 650 does have up to six years of warranty so you could just not worry about it. I do extended traveling with mine so I really don't want to have to deal with an avoidable issue that could tie up the bike for over a week minimum, probably more.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?

Last edited by SteveJ; 08-28-2018 at 08:53 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 06:03 AM

I've had a ninja 650 (same engine) and changed the failed stator at around 100'000km.

My current versys 650 is at 67'000 km. I watch my added voltmeter every ride and it only recently went from the steady 14.1 to 14.0 V (your steady voltage at 5000 rpm may be different, but the fact that it changed is important - for instance, if mine goes up from 14.1 to 14.4, I know I have a burned headlight bulb!). Is a drop of 0.1V a sign of things to come? Or just the load of the fan by hot days? I will know next cool morning...

I think you can live with the prospect of changing a stator after that much mileage. I do, because it represents a tiny amount compared to tires and fuel. I think this is a normal life for a stator too. A Quick search indicate that other brands have worse problems in less mileage.

Go ahead and buy!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingVersys View Post
1. Is stator failure an inevitability on the Versys?
2. Is this a feature of all the Versys years and models?
3. Is there a certain mileage this takes place?
Just curious.
Thanks!
1. No
2. Yes
3. No, and it MIGHT NOT Happen.

It DID happen on my '08 [at about 65,000 miles] so I replaced the stator and put in a "series" regulator, a Polaris. BECAUSE of that I replaced the regulator in my '15 w/ another Polaris one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I've had a ninja 650 (same engine) and changed the failed stator at around 100'000km.
Go ahead and buy!
-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 07:44 PM

While we're on the subject I have a question (maybe a dumb one) about the issue as well. Is the stator issue a direct result of adding on additional electrical accessories, or were some having the issue on completely stock V's and is just a poorly designed part? Obviously i understand that anything can fail for any reason at any time on anything mechanical, but thought maybe the increased load might be increasing the odds.

Last edited by Jsmith58; 08-29-2018 at 08:10 PM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

100% Load/ Continuous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmith58 View Post
While we're on the subject I have a question (maybe a dumb one) about the issue as well. Is the stator issue a direct result of adding on additional electrical accessories, or were some having the issue on completely stock V's and is just a poorly designed part? Obviously i understand that anything can fail for any reason at any time on anything mechanical, but thought maybe the increased load might be increasing the odds.
Adding additional loads with the stock stator regulator has absolutely zero effect. Understanding why it fails is explained in one of my Polaris / Series regulator threads. The reason is two fold, one the stator is under 100% demand all the time ( I use the word demand as the stator isn't able to output 100% all the time i.e. below 4000 RPM) . the second is due to the 100% demand { shunt regulator wastes or shunts excess energy to ground in the form of heat} , when we go from idle to above 4000 RPM we have a energy increase which causes a heat increase and this causes expansion of the copper winding, when we go from above 4000 RPM to idle we get the reverse action. This expansion and contraction eventually causes the varnish coating on the magnet wire to fail, which = burnt stator. Your car alternator / regulator and the series regulator only produces actual base load plus actual demand 100% of the time, which is roughly in the case of the Versys 650 about 70% of maximum stator output. Since the output is stable at all times, except when the fan comes on, these heat cool cycles are almost non existent.
Some of the early stators failed due to crossover connections, this was alleviated roughly around 2012, also discussed in burnt stators.

Last edited by onewizard; 08-30-2018 at 12:44 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 04:39 PM

Thank you for the explanation. Your profile name is starting to make a lot of sense! 😀
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 08:12 PM

i just changed out my stator and regulator with r and m parts. i bought them years ago and finally put them in because i have about 52k on the bike. but everything was working fine. the new stator and regulator worked fine for about 400 miles then my volt meter dropped down to 11.5 volts and i headed for home. putting the old reg back changes nothing. is my problem likely the new stator?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
i just changed out my stator and regulator with r and m parts. i bought them years ago and finally put them in because i have about 52k on the bike. but everything was working fine. the new stator and regulator worked fine for about 400 miles then my volt meter dropped down to 11.5 volts and i headed for home. putting the old reg back changes nothing. is my problem likely the new stator?
Or could be a bad connection. I lost charging on my recent trip. Got out the volt meter and traced it to a bad connection at the regulator(Polaris). Having a volt indicator on the dash saved a whole bunch of hassle.
onewizard likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
First Place I would look is the connector from the stator, several have had a failure here . What bothers me is you state RMStator for parts, their regulator is shunt, not series, their stator is Y not Delta, , Delta has 2 18 gauge wires per phase/ line out, Y has one 18 gauge wire per line out. Quick test is https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...testing+stator Excellent chance your stator has failed, caused by the wrong regulator. I did a post about this
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Or could be a bad connection. I lost charging on my recent trip. Got out the volt meter and traced it to a bad connection at the regulator(Polaris). Having a volt indicator on the dash saved a whole bunch of hassle.
Thanks for posting, and yes , having something like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CNO8LAG...vert-amazon-20

I included one of my posts explaining the RM Stator issue first hand, as I helped install one of RM Stators and came up with the Polaris regulator solution
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...378-post8.html

Last edited by onewizard; 08-31-2018 at 12:09 PM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 01:12 PM

This is what I installed, from Sparkbright in the UK. Reasonable price and shipping from UK.

Eclipse Battery Voltage Monitor | SparkBright

For some reason I can't get the pic to post. A neat, trick, unit.
onewizard likes this.

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

SparkBright

Just need to know your way around the forum Gallery.

Readily available in the UK,

>15.20v ■■ Green / Red alternating over-charging regulator problem not applicable
>13.20v ■ Green steady normal charging exceptional battery charge (uncommon)
>12.45v ■ Amber steady under-charging alternator problem normal battery, charged and in good health
>12.25v ■■ Red slow flashing not charging battery low fair battery charge
>12.05v Red 2 flashes, repeating not charging battery low low battery charge
>11.80v Red 3 flashes, repeating not charging battery very low very low battery charge
<11.80v Red 4 flashes, repeating not charging battery very low consider renewing battery

Very similar to Signal dynamics Heads Up voltage monitor , readily available US and Canada https://www.jpcycles.com/product/382...ing-system?v=1
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post

I put one of these into BIG RED, my '08 in AZ, and THEN added a digital volt-meter, as this one is NEARLY impossible to see in day-light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
...Very similar to Signal dynamics Heads Up voltage monitor , readily available US and Canada https://www.jpcycles.com/product/382...ing-system?v=1

I have a "Signal dynamics Heads Up voltage monitor" on my '15 (had it on my '09 till I had it 'written-off'), and it's the CAT'S MEOW!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I put one of these into BIG RED, my '08 in AZ, and THEN added a digital volt-meter, as this one is NEARLY impossible to see in day-light.

I have a "Signal dynamics Heads Up voltage monitor" on my '15 (had it on my '09 till I had it 'written-off'), and it's the CAT'S MEOW!!!

Sparkbright has different models, some, the eclipse series, have auto dimming and bright. I have the eclipse and it works well, sun light or in the dark. I'll have to show you in AZ this winter. We can compare our "units".

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

Last edited by SteveJ; 09-01-2018 at 06:34 AM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Neat Little Voltmeter

I would never go back to the signal dynamics unless I was challenged to find enough real-estate for the neat little voltmeter, for those in the electrical field, many digital meters also have a bar graph, as the processor is changing the digital readout slower than the bar graph, between the colour green ( something like 0.3 VDC for each led), and the fact it is left to right illuminating, very similar to a bar graph like this one

I still recommend this one , as the accuracy and build is superior to anything I have come across for the $$$, I mentioned before in another post that I tried to destroy it using a pressure washer, no luck, it is still working 100%. I now see other places carrying them and jacking up the $$$$
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 02:41 PM

I like onewizard's recommendation. Its nice looking and simple to install.

After reading all the posts about the stator, I was concerned at first, but then I realized with all the info and good people here, I could fix it myself if needed. Hard part would be money for the parts. If you aren't scared to wrench on your bike, then get what you like riding and go test ride some things.

The upright position on the Versys is what sold me in 2008 when they came out. I got a 2009 Versys last year with 16500 miles on it with no fear.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I'll have to show you in AZ this winter. We can compare our "units"....
Look forward to your visit Steve.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies, and thank you onewizard for all of your information on this subject.

Your replies have eliminated my apprehension about buying a new Versys.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:48 AM

A bit of a follow up on my lack of charging issue. It has happened two more times. I diagnosed this as a bad connection on the battery positive wire coming out of the regulator. Obviously Positap connectors are not up to the task of carrying large current. Proper soldering connections are on today's project list.

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Upgrade to Polaris 4016868

Quote:
A bit of a follow up on my lack of charging issue. It has happened two more times. I diagnosed this as a bad connection on the battery positive wire coming out of the regulator. Obviously Positap connectors are not up to the task of carrying large current. Proper soldering connections are on today's project list.
As in the title. I am a little baffled as to the positap comment, first I would ask is this under warranty ? Next, if not, is it the Furukawa FSW

Photo's would be helpfull. I would suggest to upgrade this winter to the Polaris 4016868, I expect some time in early 2019 to do a How To post on this regulator, sitting in my garage now, waiting to replace my CompuFire regulator .

Cycle Terminal

OEM Style - Japanese Motorcycle R&R Connectors - Furukawa FSW Series
View Cart

6 pin FSW sealed Voltage regulator - rectifier connector by Furukawa.

Some applications include

Furukawa FSW Series R&R Connectors

Last edited by onewizard; 09-21-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in