Amazing what a quarter turn of a screw will do. (Idle problem fixed) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Amazing what a quarter turn of a screw will do. (Idle problem fixed)

So the V has been idling a bit low once its warmed up last few weeks. In fact this morning it died at every stop light if I didn't keep my hand on the throttle a little bit.... It kept wanting to idle at around 500rpm. I was dreading what it could be. I'm so used to super computer controlled cars and trucks these days I've forgotten my days when you could actually adjust stuff without a laptop!

Im such an idiot.

It took me all the way home from work to realize "dude you can set the idle on this with a finger".
Literally a quarter turn of the idle adjuster screw and... back to normal.

What should the idle be set at. When I got the bike it was around 900-800. That good or should it be a bit higher? I don't have my copy of my owners manual handy right now 2011 V650.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
1250rpm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
So the V has been idling a bit low once its warmed up last few weeks. In fact this morning it died at every stop light if I didn't keep my hand on the throttle a little bit.... It kept wanting to idle at around 500rpm. I was dreading what it could be. I'm so used to super computer controlled cars and trucks these days I've forgotten my days when you could actually adjust stuff without a laptop!

Im such an idiot.

It took me all the way home from work to realize "dude you can set the idle on this with a finger".
Literally a quarter turn of the idle adjuster screw and... back to normal.

What should the idle be set at. When I got the bike it was around 900-800. That good or should it be a bit higher? I don't have my copy of my owners manual handy right now 2011 V650.
Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistime99 View Post
1250rpm

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Thank you!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Owners Manual Pg 118

Idle Speed Adjustment

NOTE

While the engine is cold, the fast idle
system automatically raises the en-
gine idling speed.
Idle Speed
1250 ∼ 1350 r/min (rpm)

I have my idle at 1350, because that is the point where the hot stator output just exceeds the base electrical load plus just enough to power the fan without going below 13.4 VDC. At 1250 RPM , with the fan running expect to go below 13.2 VDC.
dddd and Kyle E like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I have my idle at 1350, because that is the point where the hot stator output just exceeds the base electrical load plus just enough to power the fan without going below 13.4 VDC. At 1250 RPM , with the fan running expect to go below 13.2 VDC.
Good info, I set it to 1000 just for now Ill wait till its nice and hot when I get to work tonight. and bump it till it hit the 13ish. Then double check it after the ride home tomorrow morning.

Now Im just wondering why it got so low. No real temp differences, haven't done anything work wise for the past 2000 or so miles, I buy gas at the same place every day etc.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Check TPS and Subthrottle Connectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
Good info, I set it to 1000 just for now Ill wait till its nice and hot when I get to work tonight. and bump it till it hit the 13ish. Then double check it after the ride home tomorrow morning.

Now Im just wondering why it got so low. No real temp differences, haven't done anything work wise for the past 2000 or so miles, I buy gas at the same place every day etc.
As in the title, also check your air temperature sensor, with it disconnected those low idle are symptoms, ask how I know, something to do with forgetting and valve shim check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode