Gas Cap Stuck and Corroded (Fixed) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ACE50
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Gas Cap Stuck and Corroded (Fixed)

Hey All,

This is a "problem fixed" post fortunately; i just wanted a to share my issue and solution.

Recently i found myself at the gas station with both an empty fuel tank and a gas cap that refused to open. The lock tumbler had white dust (aluminum oxide) in and around it so obviously internal corrosion was preventing the tumbler from turning.

Fortunately I was able to make it home to troubleshoot the issue and heres what i did:

- Squirt lock oil into the tumbler
- Tapped around the surface the lock tumbler with a screwdriver and hammer
- Squirted more lock oil into the tumbler
- Inserted a flathead screwdriver into the top the lock and twisted it back and forth
- Eventually the tumbler began to move and i inserted the key but was still unable to twist it
- With the key inserted I put the screwdriver blade on the tumbler and tapped it clockwise until it began to turn
- At that point I was able to turn the key back and forth and open the cap
- With the cap open I lubricated everything that could/should move
- I also pulled the key in and out of the lock tumbler wiping of any excess oil and oxidation several times

The lock now works better than ever. (Glad this worked, i was about to drill the lock out since there is no other way to remove it...)

Here's a quick video of the process for others who may have this issue in the future.

No Video

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 06:30 AM

Every so often I put a little bit of oil (WD-40 or something light) on my key and work it in and out of the ignition to
keep it working like new.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE50 View Post
Every so often I put a little bit of WD-40 on my key and work it in and out of the ignition to
keep it working like new.
The WD40 'thing' is what I do whenever the lock gets 'recalcitrant'.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 03:56 PM

Garage
Had that happen when i had my 09 Versys...Used WD-40 on it every once in awhile but then just put a Keyless Gas Cap on it and have put one on all my bikes since.....

P1010532 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 04:48 PM

While I am also a fan of the Fast Eddie fix (WD-40) I usually just take a pencil and run the lead on the key, put it in and turn, and repeat. Yes, you could get a tube of graphite (I have one), but the pencil is less messy.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 07:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
While I am also a fan of the Fast Eddie fix (WD-40) I usually just take a pencil and run the lead on the key, put it in and turn, and repeat. Yes, you could get a tube of graphite (I have one), but the pencil is less messy.

I'm fairly certain that graphite causes galvanic corrosion when in contact with aluminium. That is to say, all those lock lubricants that contain graphite are causing the problem they are supposed to remedy.

Once upon a time, when locks were made from steel and brass, graphite was a decent dry lubricant. Times have changed, the materials locks are made of have changed, but the lubricants haven't. Why should they? The more you use them, the more you need to use them! Sounds like the perfect business model, just like prescription meds.

I prefer a light oil that includes Teflon for all locks and hinges.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
I'm fairly certain that graphite causes galvanic corrosion when in contact with aluminium. That is to say, all those lock lubricants that contain graphite are causing the problem they are supposed to remedy.

Once upon a time, when locks were made from steel and brass, graphite was a decent dry lubricant. Times have changed, the materials locks are made of have changed, but the lubricants haven't. Why should they? The more you use them, the more you need to use them! Sounds like the perfect business model, just like prescription meds.

I prefer a light oil that includes Teflon for all locks and hinges.
Thanks Dave. I accept that description and will quit using graphite. Yes, to a light oil with Teflon. I have some for bicycle chains (and I use it on MC chains) and will switch to that for lubing locks also.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Had that happen when i had my 09 Versys...Used WD-40 on it every once in awhile but then just put a Keyless Gas Cap on it and have put one on all my bikes since.....

P1010532 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Guess I just don't trust everyone quite as much as you do, Joe....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 05:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Guess I just don't trust everyone quite as much as you do, Joe....

I don't trust anyone .....But most people don't notice it when they are looking right at it...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I don't trust anyone .....But most people don't notice it when they are looking right at it...
Does the cap hinge or retain in some way? Or do you have to keep track of it during the fill?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 06:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
Does the cap hinge or retain in some way? Or do you have to keep track of it during the fill?

The center piece comes out with a 1/4 turn. I put my gloves over the ignition switch when I'm fill up and just set that piece on a glove or stick in my jacket pocket or set on the gas pump or..or..or...https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Turn-Ra...cAAOSw6nNZqtaC
Kyle E likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 03:00 PM

Garage
Thanks for this, mine is also corroded however the key still seems to rotate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2013 Versys KLE650 (Metallic Magnesium Gray)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
corrode, gas cap, lock, seized, stuck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode