Initial tread depth Dunlop D221/2 (Stock Tire/Tyre) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By invader
  • 1 Post By Lee R
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Initial tread depth Dunlop D221/2 (Stock Tire/Tyre)

I neglected to check the initial tread depth on the Stock tires. Anyone know this by chance? Depth to wear bar or total depth? I’m at about 3.9mm remaining to the wear bar on the rear after 1700 miles.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
I neglected to check the initial tread depth on the Stock tires. Anyone know this by chance? Depth to wear bar or total depth? I’m at about 3.9mm remaining to the wear bar on the rear after 1700 miles.

Thanks!
Just looked thru the records for my '09 and '15 - sorry, I didn't write those figures down, however the rear '15 Dunlop was "...almost at the cord in the center of the tread at 9,606 kms..." when I changed it. Changed both tires on my '09 at 12,035 kms, but NO remarks in my records....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a thought - go to a dealer w/ your calipers and measure on a new Versys....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Here's a thought - go to a dealer w/ your calipers and measure on a new Versys....

That’s exactly what I was going to do, I need a couple crush washers anyway.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 03:45 AM

May as well pick up a pair of better tires and measure them while you're at it, before the substandard OE tires let you down.
Fly-Sig likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 05:35 AM
17A

I changed my tires on my 2018 at 8200 kms. The front was still like new but the rear was getting pretty worn down and had a wide flat spot. I replaced both with Dunlop RoadSmart 3's.

2018 Versys 650 SE
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
May as well pick up a pair of better tires and measure them while you're at it, before the substandard OE tires let you down.
I have Roadsmart 3's on the way. I'm at 2k miles in 2 weeks so these stock tires won't be around much longer. I agree they're a letdown in hard riding, slides pretty easy on the edges. Havn't dealt with rain on them yet.

The roadsmarts are 200 a set right now with the 75 dollar rebate until end of august. Scored pretty high in the Motoradd test with all the big brands. Other choice would be Avon Spirit ST's as they're 228 a set and get good reviews, free puncture warranty on them as well for the first half of the tread. Continental has free towing for 150 miles on some of theirs and the Road Attack 3 is highly rated.

Michelin pilot roads are great (run two sets on other bikes) but man are they getting pricey now and they don't last 2x as long as the others.
invader likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
I have Roadsmart 3's on the way. I'm at 2k miles in 2 weeks so these stock tires won't be around much longer. I agree they're a letdown in hard riding, slides pretty easy on the edges. Havn't dealt with rain on them yet.

The roadsmarts are 200 a set right now with the 75 dollar rebate until end of august. Scored pretty high in the Motoradd test with all the big brands. Other choice would be Avon Spirit ST's as they're 228 a set and get good reviews, free puncture warranty on them as well for the first half of the tread. Continental has free towing for 150 miles on some of theirs and the Road Attack 3 is highly rated.

Michelin pilot roads are great (run two sets on other bikes) but man are they getting pricey now and they don't last 2x as long as the others.
I hope my stock tires wear out quickly, I want new rubber fast

I'm looking at the Road Attack 3 also... Or the Metzeler 01... Any opinions on those?

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NunoMt View Post
Just do it. Sell the stock tires for whatever you can get for them. There's no reason to ride around on tires you don't like!
quexpress likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NunoMt View Post

I'm looking at the Road Attack 3 also... Or the Metzeler 01... Any opinions on those?

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the big name sport touring tires out right now. They all score well in dry and wet testing and have decent tread life.

The Road Attack 3 has a 150 mile towing coverage if you read through the warranty, etc information on Continentals site, may have to register then when you buy but that's actually a pretty good deal if you get a bad puncture somewhere.

I've only run Metzeler Z8's in the past but they were a great tire so i'd expect the same from the 01.

Look at the Avon Spirit ST as well. It's not expensive and has a puncture warranty for the first half of the tread life, free tire if that happens. They warrantied it for 15k miles when it first came out which is nuts, never seen a ST tire last that long.

Motorrad has been doing a good tire test every year, heres the link to this years. TLDR is the Roadsmart 3 and Angel GT was best overall. PR5/Angel GT tied for best in the wet. Road Attack 3 longest tread life. This was on BMW R1200RS, last year they performed it on a Suzuki GSXS750 and the Continental Road Attack 3 won. Michelin was in the lower rankings overall both years, good in the wet but beat in other areas. All of them score pretty close so I don't think you can really go wrong.

If you have google chrome it has a translate function that will convert it to english or a bunch of other languages and works pretty good.

https://www.motorradonline.de/motorr...7.1014462.html

I've run a set of Angel GT and it was one of the best I've ever used. Wore better than the PR4 set because the front didn't scallop like the PR4.

Looks like Angel GT and Roadsmart 3 are this years winners. Right now the Roadsmart is a killer deal for $200 with a 75 dollar prepaid card rebate deal until end of August (in usa at least)

Last edited by Lee R; 08-14-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode