MK-3 650 Versys / ECU Flash/ Improved Low RPM Response/ Anyone Interested? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
MK-3 650 Versys / ECU Flash/ Improved Low RPM Response/ Anyone Interested?

Anyone living in Tampa Florida area that is considering changing to the Power Commander ( Versys 650, 2014 or older) ,but would prefer changing the existing ECU settings please PM me . Also with consideration anyone with a 2015 or newer in Tampa Florida PM me. Also anyone with a MK-3 650 Versys in the area that would want to ride a modified MK-3 for comparison, PM me.

Just asking for now, no further discussion.

Last edited by onewizard; 07-30-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
In Reference to a new Flash for Existing OEM ECU / MK -2 or MK-1

Just a further explanation, without explaining further that someone is close to having a new flash available and needs a guinea pig that owns a MK-1 or MK-2 ( with original ECU ) in Tampa Florida , PM me if interested. More to come later.
post #3 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
MK-3 650 Versys / ECU Flash/ Improved Low RPM Response/ Anyone Interested?

Would you be interested in a wider powerband and more power for your v650? What if it came with increased fuel economy? Would you actually be willing to spend some of your hard earned money for that?
RoaringTodd likes this.

post #4 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
More usable power with increased fuel economy sounds wonderful, but I find that with most power modifications, my desire to try the power increase out leads to worse fuel economy. I guess the best fuel economy mod would be to limit my use of the throttle. :-)

Actually I am very satisfied with the power and economy of my Gen 1.

Randy
post #5 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yes.

Frankly after riding the Tracer 900GT, what I'm really after is a smooth delivery of power. The Gen 3 is powerful enough for me, I would just like to get rid of the on/off fuel injection delivery that Yamaha was finally able to rid their FZ's of. Been looking at the booster plug now seriously.
quexpress and RoaringTodd like this.
post #6 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 09:26 PM

Garage
Add $1000 bucks in an aftermarket exhaust and power commander and all of those complaints go away. Gas mileage goes up with the exhaust then back down with the power commander. Overall I am down .5 miles per gallon(plus the investment). Up a great exhaust note, many grins and can trek down to 2.5k rpms no worries. Power ALL the way up.

Ring Rippers Founding Father
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/FONT]
post #7 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Nah. The performance improvement I'd like should be on suspension, a 19" front wheel and a real solid bashplate.
post #8 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Sunny Fl View Post
Would you be interested in a wider powerband and more power for your v650? What if it came with increased fuel economy? Would you actually be willing to spend some of your hard earned money for that?
You bet I would!

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #9 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:27 AM

Just so folks understand, you cannot begin to compare a PCV to flashing. Not even close.

ETA - Power commander can really only adjust fueling on the tPS based fuel map. there is another map that's controlled by intake pressure that a power commander will only screw up. plus flashing allows changes to secondary throttle settings, timing, limiters and a host of other parameters. This is an important distiction, in that the results are vastly different also. Steve
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by Steve in Sunny Fl; 07-31-2018 at 06:55 PM. Reason: adding info
post #10 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:49 PM

Garage
Color me interested!
post #11 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I agree as to power, however if you jumped on a 2015, you would be in for a big disappointment in the 2500 to 4000 RPM range. I know, I had a 2007 and 16 tooth front sprocket, I now have a 2015 with the OEM 15 tooth. On the 07 I was able to take off in second gear with a passenger and run in the 3000 RPM range in 4th gear and accelerate smoothly , I would never try that with the 2015 . In the 3000 RPM range it is just rough period! It shines @ or above 4500 RPM.
i'm personally satisfied with the power vs gas mileage on my 2008. i have a 44t rear sprocket and have plenty of low end grunt, and 1st gear is actually useful. can easily start off in 2nd gear as well. i took note of onewizard's comment re his 2015 lack of low end pull. any easy explanation?
post #12 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
If you bought a bike but feel the need to modify it for more power.....Then you bought the wrong bike in the first place...
dddd, webmost and Jay_Chicago like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #13 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:43 PM

Garage
Woa a bit confused by the posts here. Blame it on a few too many wasted brain cells in lieu of having a good time.

The power commander (greatly) helped mitigate the fueling issues of the mk-3 versys exasperated by an aftermarket exhaust. It is now better than stock and seems to be a happy motor down to 2.5k rpms.

These mods DID put a little more grunt to the V. That being said, in no way did the mods turned it into a liter bike. It did however lighten the bike up, give it a bit more power, a great exhaust note, and totally fixed the touchy throttle.

I’m not an expert in ECUs and re-flashing, but for the extra money I have the bike that I was looking for. To each their own, but these mods make me want to ride the V even more than I already did. 14k miles in 2.5 years, and not letting up. Spend money on the mods that make you want to ride more, just my $0.02.

Ring Rippers Founding Father
[/FONT]
post #14 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Misleading title. For me more performance isn't about HP. It is about being able to handle the curves. HP isn't going to make the bike faster and safer through the curves. Suspension and brakes are the performance mods I would be looking for.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
If you bought a bike but feel the need to modify it for more power.....Then you bought the wrong bike in the first place...

let's change that statement a bit, let's change it instead from "modify it for more power" to maybe "modify it for more safety" or "modify it for more comfort" ... still feel the same way? every bike isn't 100% perfect for the person riding it, but if you can get it where you want it, why not? what if I wanted a versys 650 for all that it does, but I don't like the seat... should I find another bike that I like the seat on, but it's not a versys?

Steve
webmost likes this.
post #16 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Misleading title. For me more performance isn't about HP. It is about being able to handle the curves. HP isn't going to make the bike faster and safer through the curves. Suspension and brakes are the performance mods I would be looking for.
There's different kinds of performance. I wouldn't say the title is misleading, it's just not the performance YOU are looking for. And BTW, I agree with you on suspension, it really does help bring out a bike's capabilies, but so does squaring away engine performance.

BTW, I saw a post where you said you grew up in Methuen. Did we ever discuss that? I did too, in Lawrence then Methuen, just down from the water tower.

And don't we know each other from the concours world?

Steve
post #17 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:49 AM

While you guys keep the debate going and your bikes in your garage doing all those mods, excuse me I have 300 miles in front of me today and gorgeous weather.
post #18 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:42 AM

If one bought a bike and is considerig an 1k to 2k of an update in terms of Cash, because that's what it will cost a good exaust, power command and a serious bank tunning I think you're in to the wrong bike.

For a bit more you are in the realm of Versys 1000, Tracer 900, or my favorite, The Triumph Tiger Sport.

There have always been people looking for the Holy Graal on their bikes... But I've neve seen anyone achieve it.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
Jay_Chicago likes this.
post #19 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Sunny Fl View Post
let's change that statement a bit, let's change it instead from "modify it for more power" to maybe "modify it for more safety" or "modify it for more comfort" ... still feel the same way? every bike isn't 100% perfect for the person riding it, but if you can get it where you want it, why not? what if I wanted a versys 650 for all that it does, but I don't like the seat... should I find another bike that I like the seat on, but it's not a versys?

Steve

Thats totally different most bikes will need to be tweaked to suit the owner. But as far as power. I raced motocross from elementary all the way through high school. To modify the bike for more power meant that the reliability of the bike took a hit. So for me I'll buy a bike for the power i want then tweak the safety and comfort. Which is why i got the Versy 1000 loved my V-650 but i just needed more motor.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #20 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yes!

asking if there is interest[/B] in getting your ECU reflashed, same guy that did the Concours . I hope that clears things up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode