6Likes
  • 1 Post By Doug Just Doug
  • 3 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By quexpress

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Squeaking rear brake?

My rear brake has had a squeak under light pedal pressure since new, it's a 2016 650 LT with ABS and almost 5000 miles on it, any suggestions on a fix or cause? The pads look fine from the outside and I've never had the tire off to check them out.

2016 VERSYS 650 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 05:55 PM

Garage
What does the surface of the rotor look like? If it is not gouged, you might try giving it and the pads a good cleaning with compressed air and brake cleaner.

Randy
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 10:17 PM

Welcome to the world of 2 wheel disk brake maintenance! Gotta clean the disks and keep them clean,I use alcohol and steel wool or sometimes fine emory paper to scuff the surface a bit.Gets a coating from the pads and heat I think.Or any bit of oil,including from your hand.Worse on my mountain bicycle which gets really squeaky and annoying after coming down a long steep dusty trail....

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 06:50 AM

> clean the disks

Sorry but I never cleaned disks in all these years and never had any breaking issue. I do avoid touching or contanimating though.

> squeaking

This is occasional for me. Not related to old or new pads. In fact, you can even get uneven bake pad wear. I mean uneven at an angle, not just one pad vs the other which is also possible. When my rear brake pads were finished, one edge was nearly 2mm higher than the other! All that to say, there is a lot of loose and free play in there, but 2 things can go wrong:

a) the caliper cylinder jams or pushes at some angle. I think that's what happened to me. Excessive constant wear. Somehow, changing the pads fixed the problem .I suspect it is because it pushed the cylinder back in and unjammed+lubed it.

b) the front has floating disk but not the rear. This is likely your root cause. of squeaking, afaik. But I wouldn't call it a problem, unless it sqeaks for thousands of miles.

Make sure you get that checked at your upcoming inspection. The first 12'000m is the worse. Things are setting in, including your worries. But you are at the right place and we are happy to help!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 07:13 AM

This is often reported on Gen3s. My 2015 did it often when new. A few owners reported warped disks that were replaced under warranty. I think mine was just dragging just a little bit, not enough to really worry about it. Cleaning the disk only helped for a little while. Maybe cleaning/greasing the slider pin would help.
quexpress likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 09:07 AM

Cleaning is a good first step but I am thinking the pads may be glazed.

Remove the caliper and pull out the pads. Check the surface for signs of glazing. They should look dull and not shiney.

If shiney you need to break the glaze. Grab a quarter sheet of 400 wet/dry. Find a nice flat surface, a table of piece of flat glass. Lay you quarter sheet on the flat surface and using light pressure and circular motion re-surface the pads until the shiney is gone.

Clean all parts with brake cleaner and apply a small amount of high temp brake grease on the areas where the pads contact the caliper.

Good luck.
jaaklucas, tommyvous59 and Brockie like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 10:09 AM

Well said hawkerjet.I have to clean and scuff the pads on my mountain bike if cleaning the disks doesn't work.I use 400 grit emory as well.The glaze is what squeaks,thats why I keep my disks clean,glaze free...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPoint View Post
---The pads look fine from the outside and I've never had the tire off to check them out.
As 'hawkerjet' said - remove your calipers (easily done!) for a 'looksee'. NO need to remove the wheel to check. Reinstall at 18'/# of torque.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post

Remove the caliper and pull out the pads. Check the surface for signs of glazing. They should look dull and not shiney.

If shiney you need to break the glaze. Grab a quarter sheet of 400 wet/dry. Find a nice flat surface, a table of piece of flat glass. Lay you quarter sheet on the flat surface and using light pressure and circular motion re-surface the pads until the shiney is gone.

Clean all parts with brake cleaner and apply a small amount of high temp brake grease on the areas where the pads contact the caliper.

Good luck.
EBC specifically cautions to not put ANY grease on the back of a sintered pad, apparently the grease can absorb into the backing plate and actually make its way to the contact surface. Brake grease on the sliding pins is a good idea though.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
EBC specifically cautions to not put ANY grease on the back of a sintered pad, apparently the grease can absorb into the backing plate and actually make its way to the contact surface. Brake grease on the sliding pins is a good idea though.
Interesting. I never put grease on the back of pads. Guess I should have been more specific when I mentioned grease. I wonder if EBC's warning is something the legal department cooked up to cover their arses should something go wrong.

Cannot imagine any grease penetrating solid metal. Perhaps a very liberal amount could come in contact with the edges of the friction material then wick it's way to the pad surface.

This concept reminds me of the guy who after washing his bike, decided to spruce up the side walls with some armor all. Unfortunately he got carried away and rubbed some unto the edges of the tread as well. Poor dude took an asphalt nap the first time he went around a corner.
1largebarge likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

Last edited by hawkerjet; 07-29-2018 at 11:07 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 11:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
Are you sure? EBC actually manufactures such a grease. https://ebcbrakes.com/product/ebc-caliper-brake-lube/ and I really fail to see how any product can infuse through steel.
I always put the merest smear on the back of brake pads and both sides of the SS anti-squeal plate.

And there is also this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-EBC-A...LH_TitleDesc=0

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 05:02 PM

The grease is for the sliding components of the caliper.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 06:10 AM

Garage
Mine has more of a moan than a squeak. Been there since new.

so it goes...
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
This is often reported on Gen3s.
Yes ... many times ... by many Gen 3 owners!

Quote:
My 2015 did it often when new. A few owners reported warped disks that were replaced under warranty. I think mine was just dragging just a little bit, not enough to really worry about it. Cleaning the disk only helped for a little while. Maybe cleaning/greasing the slider pin would help.
I tried many things and eventually got fed up with this quirk on my 2015. I have then installed a 2014 ABS rear caliper, ABS disc and caliper holder. It has NEVER squeaked, etc. since then (a few years ago).
Doug Just Doug likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post

Good luck.
putting grease sparingly on the back of the pad where it contacts the caliper pistons is standard practice and can help with squeaky brakes. just don't get any caliper grease on the sides/front of the pad where it contacts the disc or you'll have major problems braking. apply caliper grease sparingly.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 05:58 AM
17A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPoint View Post
My rear brake has had a squeak under light pedal pressure since new, it's a 2016 650 LT with ABS and almost 5000 miles on it, any suggestions on a fix or cause? The pads look fine from the outside and I've never had the tire off to check them out.

My 2018 had a squeaking rear brake almost from new exactly as you described (Under light pressure). Began with only a few hundred km's and continued until I put new tires on at 9000 kms. Now with about a 1000 kms on the new tires, no squeaking.

2018 Versys 650 SE
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17A View Post
My 2018 had a squeaking rear brake almost from new exactly as you described (Under light pressure). Began with only a few hundred km's and continued until I put new tires on at 9000 kms. Now with about a 1000 kms on the new tires, no squeaking.
So could we conclude you now have squeaky clean tires?

Sorry couldn't resist...Lol.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode