Spare electrical leads? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Spare electrical leads?

Did Kawasaki put spare connections on the Versys like it used to on its older bikes? I need a key on power source for my GPS. Thanks....

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 06:14 PM

There are some dead end wires under the seat, on the right. Have not power tested them, but might provide juice?

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 06:29 PM

My ZRX has two leads with bullet connectors hidden under the seat near the tail light. They're on the electrical schematic. Unfortunately they are unswitched .

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I found one lead under the seat thats probably a hot non-switched wire so I went ahead and tapped into the DRL leads. Should work fine since this is how I had it on my CBR for 2 years.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 09:09 PM

If that lead is in the back you could run it through a relay with the coil wire tapped off of the tail light.In Europe they use a small daytime front light which is powered off the tail light.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 08:18 AM

I tapped into the taillight wire and put a fuse block in.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ight=fuseblock

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Found this which would make it pretty simple to add them. I might just get one. Thought I would pass it along.....

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Produc...FB-4/fb-4.html

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 04:30 PM

I used the taillight wire too! Worked fine.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 09:45 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
Found this which would make it pretty simple to add them. I might just get one. Thought I would pass it along.....

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Produc...FB-4/fb-4.html
I used that same rig from Eastern Beaver, and I wired it into the tail light. It works great. I have my Zumo cradle hardwired, my heated grips, and a connector for my heated liner.

-Alan
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 12:24 PM

I'm wondering where you all mounted your fuse blocks. I'm looking at that space under the pillion seat with "Daily Safety Checks" printed on it. What's underneath that?

Also wondering where to tap power to fire the relay for the fuse block. I see the set of wires leading into the tail light. Which color wire is the switched hot lead for the tail light? Is that the best wire to fire the relay?

(Geez, Bones...all these questions!)

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 04:21 PM

I put mine in the front underseat compartment and used the taillight wire for the relay. You will end up with plenty of stuff in there after you get it installed.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 06:42 PM

Bones,

Underneath the compartment is the rear wheel That is a plastic tray that extends under both the front and back of the seat.

I installed my fusebox and relay in the front section under the seat. As Sharrison says, you will end up with a lot of stuff under there.

The following picture shows my setup. The fusebox and relay are attached using small bolts through the plastic tray. I put rubber washers on the outside and a little caulking in the holes to keep water and crud out.

As for tapping power, I connected to the red taillight lead, as shown in this picture:

I got my bits from Eastern Beaver. I especially like their splicing/tapping connectors. (Those are the blue things in the second pciture.)

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to try and answer them.

-Alan
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 07:07 PM

Here is a picture of mine...same place...red wire (maybe it's orange) goes to tail light wire. This thing was really easy to install and really helps when you install other equipment requiring power. There is still room for the tools in the rear compartment and paperwork over the fuse box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1669.jpg (433.6 KB, 336 views)

Steve

Now I have four!

Last edited by sharrison56; 01-04-2009 at 07:09 PM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
There are some dead end wires under the seat, on the right. Have not power tested them, but might provide juice?
Those are the connectors for the ECU diagnostics. It's not a source of power for accessories.

Gustavo
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 06:39 AM

HealTech Electronics http://www.healtech-electronics.com/ has a new gear position indicator (GIPro-DS) that plugs into the ECU connector to get the gear position.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:49 AM

Alan and Steve, thanks a bunch. That's great information!

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 10:29 PM

since we're talking electrical, has anyone connected a powerlet outlet to the versys? I need something like this that will be a quick and easy way to hook up a battery charger, like I've got on my BMW, to keep it on trickle charge when I'm riding the other bikes. I think it goes directly to the battery. Shouldn't need a fused connection, right?
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 02:54 AM

It does need to be fused. Just buy one of these: http://batterytender.com/product_inf...e9056864e9af3e
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 04:45 PM

I have a battery tender. What I find is it's difficult to get to the battery to attach leads when you want to store it. On the BMW I have a powerlet plug that goes directly to the battery, and a gel battery charger plugs into the outlet anytime I park the BMW in the garage. That way if I don't ride it for a week or two, the battery is kept charged. I have another bike that has to have the tank removed to access the battery ... what a pain! I suspect the Versys is the same (or it might be located under the seat? Since I don't have one yet I don't know).

The powerlet plug is just way easier. Park it, plug it in, and forget about it. Since I have three bikes I can't ride them everyday (I could if I had nothing else to do). This works really well.

DM
2009 Kawasaki Versys, "Dr Doom"
2009 Suzuki Burgman 650, "StormTrooper"
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400, "Yoda"

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 05:20 PM

The battery is under the seat but the seat is a pain in the ass. Put a powerlet plug next to the instrument cluster and make it easy on yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode